Uninstalling Norton System Works

We had an exchange of messages here recently regarding
uninstalling Norton System Works 2004. One of our
helpful contributors suggested it was available on the
Symantec website. I couldn't find it, so I asked
Symantec to supply it. They gave me a link to a URL
which led me to a page which was "unavailable". On
asking them again, I got the following:

Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

I understand from your message that you have concerns about the
Uninstall document not being available on the server.

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience or loss of productivity
this issue has caused you.

William, the document provided in my previous mail has been removed from
the server for some further processing. However, please follow the steps
mentioned in the below document to uninstall Norton SystemWorks (NSW):

Title: 'Removing Norton SystemWorks™ after Add/Remove Programs does not
work'
Document ID: 2001100212100807
> Web URL:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001100212100807
Going to that document, I found that it had quite a number of "+"
places where it has to be expanded to see all the steps, and then, in
each of these, there are quite a number of further links to follow,
each of which requires linking to more documents that have to be
printed out.

In summary: It would require an estimated 30-odd pages of printout,
because otherwise one could not jump back and forth interactively on
the monitor to perform the operations. Of course, this uninstall
process, in step-by-step form, should have been in the 322-page User's
Manual that came with the software, or it should have been made
available in one .PDF document that could be downloaded and printed
out.

I'm posting this on the Web in the vain hope that somebody from
Symantec might read it and take an interest in improving the
decidedly negative opinion that most people have of Symantec.
And if there is a different newsgroup where it can be posted,
please lead me to it.

--
William B. Lurie
6 answers Last reply

    You do know, don't you, that if you put the CD in, it has an uninstall program that cleans out all entries of System Works.
    Including deep inside of the Registry.

    Norton has always included an uninstall program.

    wrote in news:OiNHqBCvEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
    > We had an exchange of messages here recently regarding
    > uninstalling Norton System Works 2004. One of our
    <snip>
    > In summary: It would require an estimated 30-odd pages of printout,
    > because otherwise one could not jump back and forth interactively on
    > the monitor to perform the operations. Of course, this uninstall
    > process, in step-by-step form, should have been in the 322-page User's
    > Manual that came with the software, or it should have been made
    > available in one .PDF document that could be downloaded and printed
    > out.

    Um, when was the last time you saw any user guide or manual that
    included descriptions of workarounds or bug fixes? The manual probably
    told you to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the product. The KB
    article tells you a *workaround* when that standard procedure does NOT
    work. You want a manual that includes every KB article describing every
    workaround, if there is one, and every bug fix? No one else does so
    enjoy composing your own special-use manual. Could you provide an
    example of any software manual that delineates a very detailed manual
    procedure for uninstalling the software should the Add/Remove Programs
    method not work? Do most, or even a significant portion, of your
    software user manuals go into such great depth on eradicating the
    software product? For the converse, how many manuals tell you EXACTLY
    and in FULL detail what their installation will change on your system?

    > I'm posting this on the Web in the vain hope that somebody from
    > Symantec might read it and take an interest in improving the
    > decidedly negative opinion that most people have of Symantec.
    > And if there is a different newsgroup where it can be posted,
    > please lead me to it.

    Just search on "symantec" when looking for the newsgroups in your
    newsreader client. Obviously you won't find them if you are connecting
    to the Microsoft news server, so connect to a general-purpose news
    server. Doesn't Bellsouth provide their customers with a news server?
    If so, they don't include the symantec.* newsgroups?

    Just click - Install Norton System Works.
    When the next screen opens you will see the Remove program.

    "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cablenet.news> wrote in message news:uupGcHDvEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    You do know, don't you, that if you put the CD in, it has an uninstall program that cleans out all entries of System Works.
    Including deep inside of the Registry.

    Norton has always included an uninstall program.

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message news:OiNHqBCvEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > We had an exchange of messages here recently regarding
    > uninstalling Norton System Works 2004. One of our
    > helpful contributors suggested it was available on the
    > Symantec website. I couldn't find it, so I asked
    > Symantec to supply it. They gave me a link to a URL
    > which led me to a page which was "unavailable". On
    > asking them again, I got the following:

    > Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.
    >
    > I understand from your message that you have concerns about the
    > Uninstall document not being available on the server.
    >
    > I would like to apologize for any inconvenience or loss of productivity
    > this issue has caused you.
    >
    > William, the document provided in my previous mail has been removed from
    > the server for some further processing. However, please follow the steps
    > mentioned in the below document to uninstall Norton SystemWorks (NSW):
    >
    > Title: 'Removing Norton SystemWorks™ after Add/Remove Programs does not
    > work'
    > Document ID: 2001100212100807
    > > Web URL:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001100212100807
    > Going to that document, I found that it had quite a number of "+"
    > places where it has to be expanded to see all the steps, and then, in
    > each of these, there are quite a number of further links to follow,
    > each of which requires linking to more documents that have to be
    > printed out.
    >
    > In summary: It would require an estimated 30-odd pages of printout,
    > because otherwise one could not jump back and forth interactively on
    > the monitor to perform the operations. Of course, this uninstall
    > process, in step-by-step form, should have been in the 322-page User's
    > Manual that came with the software, or it should have been made
    > available in one .PDF document that could be downloaded and printed
    > out.
    >
    > I'm posting this on the Web in the vain hope that somebody from
    > Symantec might read it and take an interest in improving the
    > decidedly negative opinion that most people have of Symantec.
    > And if there is a different newsgroup where it can be posted,
    > please lead me to it.
    >
    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    Thanks, Jerry. But it doesn't work when anything is *wrong*
    with the program. Like, their LU1848 error message, which
    also takes pages and pages to try to remove.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Have you tried reinstalling to correct the error and then uninstalling?
    It works pretty good for me.

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message news:e0468BEvEHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks, Jerry. But it doesn't work when anything is *wrong*
    > with the program. Like, their LU1848 error message, which
    > also takes pages and pages to try to remove.
    >
    > JerryM (ID) wrote:
    >> You do know, don't you, that if you put the CD in, it has an uninstall program that cleans out all entries of System Works.
    >> Including deep inside of the Registry.
    >>
    >> Norton has always included an uninstall program.
    >>
    >> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message news:OiNHqBCvEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>
    >>>We had an exchange of messages here recently regarding
    >>>uninstalling Norton System Works 2004. One of our
    >>>helpful contributors suggested it was available on the
    >>>Symantec website. I couldn't find it, so I asked
    >>>Symantec to supply it. They gave me a link to a URL
    >>>which led me to a page which was "unavailable". On
    >>>asking them again, I got the following:
    >>>
    >>>*************************************************************
    >>>Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.
    >>>
    >>>I understand from your message that you have concerns about the
    >>>Uninstall document not being available on the server.
    >>>
    >>>I would like to apologize for any inconvenience or loss of productivity
    >>>this issue has caused you.
    >>>
    >>>William, the document provided in my previous mail has been removed from
    >>>the server for some further processing. However, please follow the steps
    >>>mentioned in the below document to uninstall Norton SystemWorks (NSW):
    >>>
    >>>Title: 'Removing Norton SystemWorks™ after Add/Remove Programs does not
    >>>work'
    >>>Document ID: 2001100212100807

    >>>http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001100212100807
    >>>***********************************************************************
    >>>Going to that document, I found that it had quite a number of "+"
    >>>places where it has to be expanded to see all the steps, and then, in
    >>>each of these, there are quite a number of further links to follow,
    >>>each of which requires linking to more documents that have to be
    >>>printed out.
    >>>
    >>>In summary: It would require an estimated 30-odd pages of printout,
    >>>because otherwise one could not jump back and forth interactively on
    >>>the monitor to perform the operations. Of course, this uninstall
    >>>process, in step-by-step form, should have been in the 322-page User's
    >>>Manual that came with the software, or it should have been made
    >>>available in one .PDF document that could be downloaded and printed
    >>>out.
    >>>
    >>>I'm posting this on the Web in the vain hope that somebody from
    >>>Symantec might read it and take an interest in improving the
    >>>decidedly negative opinion that most people have of Symantec.
    >>>And if there is a different newsgroup where it can be posted,
    >>>please lead me to it.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>> William B. Lurie
    >>

    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    download windows install cleanup utitlty for microsoft 290301

Norton Symantec Windows XP