Sign in with
Your question

Constant BSODs on startup and recovery.

Last response: in Windows 7
May 22, 2011 2:36:41 AM

[Using Windows 7 64-bit]
My computer has been working fine for months and out of nowhere I get a BSOD. I think it may be a one time thing so I just let it restart but I get a BSOD again. This keeps happening for 3-4 times. Afterwards I think a system restore might fix the problem. When I went to the startup repair screen, right when I'm about to click the system restore button I get a BSOD again. I think it may be something on my drive so I burn a recovery disk. When it's searching for my Windows installations, I get a BSOD again.

Does anyone know what else I can do to try to fix it? All of the recovery methods I know of get blocked by this annoying BSOD.

Thanks!

May 22, 2011 4:45:17 AM

Try running a chkdsk to make sure your HDD is in good condition. Are you able to see the details of the BSOD? Also, scan with malwarebytes, may help in the event malware is causing it.
m
l
May 22, 2011 1:13:48 PM

jbakerlent said:
Try running a chkdsk to make sure your HDD is in good condition. Are you able to see the details of the BSOD? Also, scan with malwarebytes, may help in the event malware is causing it.

How do I run chkdsk without getting into Windows?
m
l
Related resources
May 22, 2011 11:27:14 PM

Ah, it wasn't clear to me that you couldn't boot into the OS... Hmm, safe mode doesn't work either, I'm assuming?
m
l
May 22, 2011 11:37:41 PM

jbakerlent said:
Ah, it wasn't clear to me that you couldn't boot into the OS... Hmm, safe mode doesn't work either, I'm assuming?

Nope, tried Safe Mode and got the same BSOD.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 23, 2011 3:54:00 AM

Then its the problem with your hardware. I'm pretty sure its the RAM or the GPU ( if you have one ) that's causing the problem. How much is your RAM ? You can use memtest86+ to check if there's any problem with the RAM.
m
l
May 28, 2011 4:50:42 PM

Gman450 said:
Then its the problem with your hardware. I'm pretty sure its the RAM or the GPU ( if you have one ) that's causing the problem. How much is your RAM ? You can use memtest86+ to check if there's any problem with the RAM.

I have 2 DIMMs of 2GB Corisair XMS2 DDR2 RAM. I might check out that memtest CD as well.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 3:42:35 AM

Yeah, check that. I'm pretty sure its the RAM that's causing the trouble.
m
l
!