Sign in with
Your question

Thanks to THG for gathering all the flamers

Tags:
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 25, 2006 7:01:31 PM

I should thank THG for putting on the porch light and gathering all the flamers to it's forum.
I see only two types of posts here
1. Help me I don't know what I'm doing at all
2. My cpu is great yours is crap

I don't see alot of folks helping one another, I don't see ideas and intelligent discussion. What I do see is alot of what appear to be teenagers or those with that mentality start and fuel senseless flame wars, quotes from grocery store smut rags and a lack of respect for anyone except themselves.

I don't know what the moderators are doing if anything at all but it's not the sort of thing I see in forums where you can get useful info and help. I thought this was a Euro based page, and I was under the impression that you folks over there felt like you were more cultured and dignified that we noobs in the US. I have to tell you this though I find no reason to keep this link in my favorites. I do not see anything "cultured" about these posts except those asking for help with a real issue. There is no limits set to maintain a decent decorum, I'm sure you have rules but doesn't seem as though they're enforced. How can you expect to be taken seriously with an out of control forum like this one. Yes you can say it's under control if all you wanted is a flame forum. You really should change your name to Tom's Flamers Guide, it would be more appropriate.

More about : thg gathering flamers

August 25, 2006 7:28:56 PM

dont like it fu.ck off somewhere else.

simple as.

dont be a di.ck and stop whining.
August 25, 2006 7:34:28 PM

I agree with you about the board being full of flamers, but I don't think it's as bad as you are saying.

I for one try to help people whenever I can (though I'm not always right), I see many threads where people are helping people, and I have been helped on more than one occasion.

I'm fairly certain that THG is American (but don't quote me on that), though I've seen my fair share of pretty bad European sites as well (www.criticalmiss.com, one of the most immature (and best) sites I know of).

As for the two types of post that you talk about.

1. People come here for advice a lot, they don't know what they are doing and they usually want to learn. Nearly every post that I have seen like this ends up with the person being helped in a airly civil fashion. Though there are some people who ask such stupid questions they deserve what they get.

2. Stay out of the CPU discussions, simple as that.

I personally can't see how you came up with your opinon, but I don't see you leaving as a great loss.
August 25, 2006 7:42:16 PM

If the site wants to become more user friendly and "help others", they should work on their SEARCH FUNCTION! It's not efficient enough. I go through Google to find the pages I am looking for on THG. Just some thoughts.
August 25, 2006 7:49:51 PM

Quote:
I should thank THG for putting on the porch light and gathering all the flamers to it's forum.

I don't see alot of folks helping one another, I don't see ideas and intelligent discussion. What I do see is alot of what appear to be teenagers or those with that mentality start and fuel senseless flame wars, quotes from grocery store smut rags and a lack of respect for anyone except themselves.

I don't know what the moderators are doing if anything at all but it's not the sort of thing I see in forums where you can get useful info and help. I thought this was a Euro based page, and I was under the impression that you folks over there felt like you were more cultured and dignified that we noobs in the US. I have to tell you this though I find no reason to keep this link in my favorites. I do not see anything "cultured" about these posts except those asking for help with a real issue. There is no limits set to maintain a decent decorum, I'm sure you have rules but doesn't seem as though they're enforced. How can you expect to be taken seriously with an out of control forum like this one. Yes you can say it's under control if all you wanted is a flame forum. You really should change your name to Tom's Flamers Guide, it would be more appropriate.

4Aces to post on the Moon Reflects Dwindling Career Options on Earth, Insiders Say Embattled card player served notice to the Forumz that He intends to keep marching to the beat of a different drum by announcing today that He will build the first 'fix it yourelf' post on the moon.

Forumz insiders speculated that 4Aces decision to build the first lunar message board was motivated in part by his dwindling career options on the planet Earth.

"4Aces just got dropped by Toys R Us forums for being too crazy, which in the do-ityourself computer industry circles is really saying something," said Buddy Schlantz, a veteran of homebuilts and observer of the THG Forumz scene. "And 4Aces can't budge up his computer, except, it seems, on the Lunar Surface."

But in a press conference slated for later today carried by Forumz, it is rumored 4Aces will deny that the state of his earthly doings caused him to shift his attention moonward, with 4Aces telling Forumz members, "The great thing about the moon is that it isn't controlled by one specific group of people, if you know what I mean."

When an astute Forumz member noted that the moon has no people at all, 4Aces became argumentative: "Who told you that? Psychiatrists? Brooke Shields? WTF? That is such a load of crap!"

According to 4Aces, His departure for the moon could result in the first public appearance of his neighbor, OldMaid.

"OldMaid has been trying to put some distance between herself and 4Aces, Oldmaid states, "If he leaves the planet, I'll come out of hiding and do some posts of my own on Forumz. 4Aces built my computer and it leaks! I want people here on earth to understand just what kind of a crybaby He is."

Elsewhere, obesity increases one's chances of premature death, according to a study published today in "Duh" magazine.
August 25, 2006 7:53:08 PM

Quote:
I find no reason to keep this link in my favorites.

Hopefully you'll therefore forget all about us, and bugger off. Good riddance.
Synergy6
August 25, 2006 7:55:32 PM

Please delete this post.......... and delete 4aces while you are at it.
August 25, 2006 8:21:28 PM

Quote:

Does anybody else see the irony of somebody starting a flame war that's complaining about flaming??? :lol: 

I think posts like this are what makes these forums the best!
August 25, 2006 8:40:43 PM

No doubt dean7. I've had plenty of help and good advice from some of these people. Complain all you want 4Aces, but no matter where you go, there WILL be flaming.
August 25, 2006 9:25:25 PM

Quote:
immature overweight zit faced little geek boys with low self esteem!

So that's what he looks like. I have been wondering for *so* long it's unreal.
Synergy6
August 25, 2006 9:27:06 PM

Quote:
4Aces wrote:

Does anybody else see the irony of somebody starting a flame war that's complaining about flaming??? Laughing

I think posts like this are what makes these forums the best!

Effin' A dean7, effin' A!!!!!! Apparently our boy 4Aces doens't understand the subtle irony of his own post.
August 25, 2006 9:34:58 PM

Quote:
I would like to thank the academy for putting to light that there are only two things I'd like to post:

1)Help me because i'm an insensitive selfish pr*ck
2)my pencil is big and yellow

There you have it - he has a pencil that is big and yellow. Now if he keeps using that pencil like he does he'll not only go blind, he'll continue to write this senseless dribble.
August 25, 2006 10:03:00 PM

*sigh* well I think most of these responses do little aside from confirming a large part of his assertion - for those of you who thought before typing/posting, thank you, for those who affirmed the lament, :(  .

I do see quite a bit of help going on on the forums, tho lately there have been a few posters who complain of non-stop 'help me with (insert upgrade, build, etc. here)' but for the most part the information is helpful, and there are, IMO few instances of inexperienced people getting abused for wanting information and to learn.

I have also noted an increase in the 'flame wars' as noted and all I can say is that it seems that whenever someone tries to start a bonafide, intelligent debate about any tech subject, someone invariably comes in and turns it into a flame war by *again* posting without thinking, or being narrow minded enough to deny anyone else the right to their own opinion, and insulting anyone who holds a different point of view. Not every post is done intelligently, and most flamewars are started by someone with a chip on their shoulder anyway, but it certainly does discourage useful and intelligent debate/discussion. On this matter, the only thing to be done is to simply look at the post and judge whether it's worth replying to or not. If its someone looking for a flame war - leave it to those who enjoy posting offensive drivel on subjects as globally important as 'my processor is better than yours nyeah. . . nyeah. . . nyeah' and just avoid it.

I don't fault the poster for his lament, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I believe, at least in significant part that he has a point.

C'mon - let's all play nice.

Maybe tom's needs to take a page from extremetech and create a separate 'if you want a flame ware go here' section for the forums, then the rest of us could attempt to have an intelligent discussion, free from techinical bigotry.

my $.02.

J. Keller
August 25, 2006 11:06:47 PM

why get mad over someone not knowing what they are do doing. Even you were once a novice.
August 27, 2006 4:18:24 AM

good point, jnjkele. drummer, I think people get mad not because somebody is a novice, but because they are too lazy to just read the THG articles, and instead want somebody to just give them an answer to a question. I think what most people here are trying to say with their flaming of noobs is: read the graphics guide before asking a stupid question please!

Know what I mean?
August 28, 2006 9:46:13 AM

There is one simple way to deal w/ flamers scroll down to the next reply.
If that doesn't work you could just add fuel to the flames by replying or even
worse posting a new thread on the issue.
If I have learned one thing. Immature people don't go away because you
complain about them. They get louder, because somebody finally paid attention to their inconsequential existence.
That said it is ironic that I replied to your post.

Let's not quibble over who flamed who.
!