PC Probe II giving me rectal probe with CPU RPM monitor ????

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I'm using PC Probe to monitor the activity of the fans/heat of the mobo & CPU etc. This was my first build so I'm a little nervous and want to make sure everything is ok. The CPU has a max threshold of 1000 RPMs. I could set it higher, but it seems to be the safe level accoring to Asus. I went up to 1500 RPMs, but when playing Far Cry, every few minutes it spikes over that too! Is this a glitch, or could my CPU fan really be giving me gas above 1500 RPMs?

QUESTION - what is the range that the fan must be between, and what is the recommend level? THANKS!

PS. My mobo temp has come down from 49C to 41C an stabalized. I sealed the P180B case and it seems to have dropped the temp! Amazing. CPU is at 40 from 46.

The rig FYI:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&all=1&t=192733&postdays=0&postorder=asc

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I'm using PC Probe to monitor the activity of the fans/heat of the mobo & CPU etc. This was my first build so I'm a little nervous and want to make sure everything is ok. The CPU has a max threshold of 1000 RPMs. I could set it higher, but it seems to be the safe level accoring to Asus. I went up to 1500 RPMs, but when playing Far Cry, every few minutes it spikes over that too! Is this a glitch, or could my CPU fan really be giving me gas above 1500 RPMs?

QUESTION - what is the range that the fan must be between, and what is the recommend level? THANKS!

PS. My mobo temp has come down from 49C to 41C an stabalized. I sealed the P180B case and it seems to have dropped the temp! Amazing. CPU is at 40 from 46.

The rig FYI:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&all=1&t=192733&postdays=0&postorder=asc

What do you mean Asus says the safe rating of the CPU fan is 1000 RPM, the CPU doesn't care if your fan is going 1000 RPM or 5000 RPM as long as it is keeping it cool... Different fans are built to turn at different speeds depending on airflow given. For example my fan turns at around 2500 RPM under load (and I can't hear it) It is normal for fan speeds to fluctuate as load changes due to the varying cooling power required. The only reason I would really concern myself with a maximum RPM is to reduce noise, I've never seen or heard of a problem occuring because the CPU fan was going too fast (too slow or not spinning on the other hand...)

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Well that's a very good point. I dont think PC Probe II is a good SW package anyhow. If you can recommend anything, that would be great. If not, I will just set the max RPM on the CPU to 3000+ and then it wont bother me. It's more important that it doesnt stop turning, and I'll watch for that.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Whats the best monitoring software for the P5W DH??? I checked both Speed Fan and Mother Board Monitor (MBM), and none of them are compatible with the mobo (well, havent been tested and labled compatible).

ANY THOUGHTS? Has someone found a good program?

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Uninstall all that crap and forget about it. That's my opinion.

If you absolutely must have one, just use it to check the temps occationally and then shut it down. If the temps are good then why on earth worry about the fans? Thats my take on it.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
just to let you know, you might be better off using ASUS's old PC Probe. Mines buggy too as well as sluggish. And we both seem to have the same system specs, regardless of hard drive sizes and monitor and keyboard :p If you have a P180B, don't worry about it. Just make sure to leave the BIOS settings alone, for example C1E Auto, Speed Step Auto, etc. It'll help with the temps if you're that concerened. But do note, like wusy (sp) said in his over clocking guide, by enabling a lot of stuff in the BIOS, will cause your computer to take longer during POST. I just leave my computer on all the time.

And btw, don't worry so much about temps. Nowadays, motherboards have built in functions that automatically shut the computer off as well as Intel has imbedded a safety feature that automatically (considering you left the BIOS alone) lowers the CPU voltage and speed.