Missing toolbar in Windows Explorer

The toolbar (File Edit View etc.) is missing from my Win2K
Pro Windows Explorer, and I can't seem to bring it back.
Where did it go? Help with this would be most appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about missing toolbar windows explorer

    What happens if you F11 ?

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Don" wrote:
    | The toolbar (File Edit View etc.) is missing from my Win2K
    | Pro Windows Explorer, and I can't seem to bring it back.
    | Where did it go? Help with this would be most appreciated.

    Hi Dave,

    Well, it was like *magic*! The damn thing came back.

    Thanks!

    Don

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Oops! Spoke too soon. I closed Explorer and opened it
    again, and the *menu* bar was gone again, only this time
    hitting F11 didn't bring it back; it just toggled the top
    bar of the entire window off and then on again. More help,
    please?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new account in 'Users and
    Passwords'). Also make sure your AV is up to date and you have no spyware
    running.

    --

    "Don" wrote:
    | Oops! Spoke too soon. I closed Explorer and opened it
    | again, and the *menu* bar was gone again, only this time
    | hitting F11 didn't bring it back; it just toggled the top
    | bar of the entire window off and then on again. More help,
    | please?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi Dave,

    Okay, I tried creating a new account on my computer, but
    it wouldn't work because apparently new accounts have to
    already exist on the network's server(?) I was able to
    logon as the Administrator, and was able to see the menu
    bar in Windows Explorer. Is there a way to make it so my
    login allows the WE menu bar to show?

    I've got Norton AV on my computer; it's set to
    automatically update, and was currently updated as of
    today. Don't know if Norton AV handles spyware, though.

    Thank you for your help!

    Don

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    It's possible your profile is corrupt or it could be spyware. For the
    spyware check out adaware and or spybot which can be found and downloaded
    from several internet locations. If the profile is corrupt, you can rename
    the profile(while logged on as local admin), then when the user logs on
    again a new profile will be created from the image in \default user. You can
    then copy over the items you need from the renamed profile. Copy the folder
    contents not the folders themselves. When your sure you have all you need,
    you can delete the renamed profile(s). Use the import function of your
    e-mail software.

    --

    "Don" wrote:
    | Hi Dave,
    |
    | Okay, I tried creating a new account on my computer, but
    | it wouldn't work because apparently new accounts have to
    | already exist on the network's server(?) I was able to
    | logon as the Administrator, and was able to see the menu
    | bar in Windows Explorer. Is there a way to make it so my
    | login allows the WE menu bar to show?
    |
    | I've got Norton AV on my computer; it's set to
    | automatically update, and was currently updated as of
    | today. Don't know if Norton AV handles spyware, though.
    |
    | Thank you for your help!
    |
    | Don
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi Dave,

    I did as you suggested (I think), and logged in as
    administrator, renamed my profile, logged out and logged
    back in as me (to force a new profile for me). I then
    copied my original profile files into the new (forced)
    profile, and logged out and in as me. The good news is:
    Windows Explorer is now stable, with its menu bar. The bad
    news was: I had to reestablish all my mapped drives with
    appropriate usernames and passwords. Apparently, this kind
    of information is not kept in the profile(?) Do you think
    it would have worked to also copy the registry into the
    new profile, as well?

    Just curious. Thanks for your help!!

    Don

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    No that's where the corruption would have been.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Don" wrote:
    <snip>
    Do you think
    | it would have worked to also copy the registry into the
    | new profile, as well?
    <snip>
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    "Don" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<cb3501c4391a$dd1f5e90$a101280a@phx.gbl>...
    > The toolbar (File Edit View etc.) is missing from my Win2K
    > Pro Windows Explorer, and I can't seem to bring it back.
    > Where did it go? Help with this would be most appreciated.

    Here is the fix for the problem

    - Close all browser windows
    - Open registry editor
    - goto the following key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

    There are 3 sub keys: Explorer, ShellBrowser, WebBrowser

    Delete the Explorer Subkey. Close regedit, and launch Explorer.

    The deleted value will automatically be recreated, and Windows
    Explorer will be restored to its default layout. It's interesting
    that the registry setting for this issue is hidden along with the
    toolbar settings for Internet Explorer--not where you'd expect to find
    it, eh?

Windows Explorer File System Microsoft Windows