Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Missing toolbar in Windows Explorer

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 13, 2004 3:48:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

The toolbar (File Edit View etc.) is missing from my Win2K
Pro Windows Explorer, and I can't seem to bring it back.
Where did it go? Help with this would be most appreciated.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 5:01:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

What happens if you F11 ?

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Don" wrote:
| The toolbar (File Edit View etc.) is missing from my Win2K
| Pro Windows Explorer, and I can't seem to bring it back.
| Where did it go? Help with this would be most appreciated.
May 13, 2004 5:01:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Hi Dave,

Well, it was like *magic*! The damn thing came back.

Thanks!

Don

>-----Original Message-----
>What happens if you F11 ?
>Regards,
>Dave Patrick
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"Don" wrote:
>| The toolbar (File Edit View etc.) is missing from my
Win2K
>| Pro Windows Explorer, and I can't seem to bring it back.
>| Where did it go? Help with this would be most
appreciated.
Related resources
May 13, 2004 5:01:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Oops! Spoke too soon. I closed Explorer and opened it
again, and the *menu* bar was gone again, only this time
hitting F11 didn't bring it back; it just toggled the top
bar of the entire window off and then on again. More help,
please?

>-----Original Message-----
>What happens if you F11 ?
>Regards,
>Dave Patrick
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
>"Don" wrote:
>| The toolbar (File Edit View etc.) is missing from my
Win2K
>| Pro Windows Explorer, and I can't seem to bring it back.
>| Where did it go? Help with this would be most
appreciated.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 5:24:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new account in 'Users and
Passwords'). Also make sure your AV is up to date and you have no spyware
running.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Don" wrote:
| Oops! Spoke too soon. I closed Explorer and opened it
| again, and the *menu* bar was gone again, only this time
| hitting F11 didn't bring it back; it just toggled the top
| bar of the entire window off and then on again. More help,
| please?
May 13, 2004 5:25:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Hi Dave,

Okay, I tried creating a new account on my computer, but
it wouldn't work because apparently new accounts have to
already exist on the network's server(?) I was able to
logon as the Administrator, and was able to see the menu
bar in Windows Explorer. Is there a way to make it so my
login allows the WE menu bar to show?

I've got Norton AV on my computer; it's set to
automatically update, and was currently updated as of
today. Don't know if Norton AV handles spyware, though.

Thank you for your help!

Don

>-----Original Message-----
>What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new
account in 'Users and Passwords'). Also make sure your AV
is up to date and you have no spyware
>running.
>Regards,
>Dave Patrick
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"Don" wrote:
>| Oops! Spoke too soon. I closed Explorer and opened it
>| again, and the *menu* bar was gone again, only this time
>| hitting F11 didn't bring it back; it just toggled the
>| top bar of the entire window off and then on again.
>| More help, please?
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 6:56:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

It's possible your profile is corrupt or it could be spyware. For the
spyware check out adaware and or spybot which can be found and downloaded
from several internet locations. If the profile is corrupt, you can rename
the profile(while logged on as local admin), then when the user logs on
again a new profile will be created from the image in \default user. You can
then copy over the items you need from the renamed profile. Copy the folder
contents not the folders themselves. When your sure you have all you need,
you can delete the renamed profile(s). Use the import function of your
e-mail software.


--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Don" wrote:
| Hi Dave,
|
| Okay, I tried creating a new account on my computer, but
| it wouldn't work because apparently new accounts have to
| already exist on the network's server(?) I was able to
| logon as the Administrator, and was able to see the menu
| bar in Windows Explorer. Is there a way to make it so my
| login allows the WE menu bar to show?
|
| I've got Norton AV on my computer; it's set to
| automatically update, and was currently updated as of
| today. Don't know if Norton AV handles spyware, though.
|
| Thank you for your help!
|
| Don
May 14, 2004 6:52:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Hi Dave,

I did as you suggested (I think), and logged in as
administrator, renamed my profile, logged out and logged
back in as me (to force a new profile for me). I then
copied my original profile files into the new (forced)
profile, and logged out and in as me. The good news is:
Windows Explorer is now stable, with its menu bar. The bad
news was: I had to reestablish all my mapped drives with
appropriate usernames and passwords. Apparently, this kind
of information is not kept in the profile(?) Do you think
it would have worked to also copy the registry into the
new profile, as well?

Just curious. Thanks for your help!!

Don

>-----Original Message-----
>It's possible your profile is corrupt or it could be
spyware. For the spyware check out adaware and or spybot
which can be found and downloaded from several internet
locations. If the profile is corrupt, you can rename
>the profile(while logged on as local admin), then when
the user logs on again a new profile will be created from
the image in \default user. You can then copy over the
items you need from the renamed profile. Copy the folder
>contents not the folders themselves. When your sure you
have all you need, you can delete the renamed profile(s).
Use the import function of your e-mail software.
>Regards,
>Dave Patrick
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"Don" wrote:
>| Hi Dave,
>|
>| Okay, I tried creating a new account on my computer, but
>| it wouldn't work because apparently new accounts have to
>| already exist on the network's server(?) I was able to
>| logon as the Administrator, and was able to see the menu
>| bar in Windows Explorer. Is there a way to make it so my
>| login allows the WE menu bar to show?
>|
>| I've got Norton AV on my computer; it's set to
>| automatically update, and was currently updated as of
>| today. Don't know if Norton AV handles spyware, though.
>|
>| Thank you for your help!
>>| Don
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 12:28:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

No that's where the corruption would have been.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Don" wrote:
<snip>
Do you think
| it would have worked to also copy the registry into the
| new profile, as well?
<snip>
May 18, 2004 9:34:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

"Don" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<cb3501c4391a$dd1f5e90$a101280a@phx.gbl>...
> The toolbar (File Edit View etc.) is missing from my Win2K
> Pro Windows Explorer, and I can't seem to bring it back.
> Where did it go? Help with this would be most appreciated.


Here is the fix for the problem

- Close all browser windows
- Open registry editor
- goto the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

There are 3 sub keys: Explorer, ShellBrowser, WebBrowser

Delete the Explorer Subkey. Close regedit, and launch Explorer.

The deleted value will automatically be recreated, and Windows
Explorer will be restored to its default layout. It's interesting
that the registry setting for this issue is hidden along with the
toolbar settings for Internet Explorer--not where you'd expect to find
it, eh?
!