failure to POST, re-seating hsf question.

captain_queeg

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Well, my 6400/ gigabyte ds3 build failed to post (no sounds either thanks to case selection) so Ive tried various things and decided to check that the chip is properly seated in the socket. Its only run for 1-2 minutes tops as I tried various things. Do I still need to remove the thermal pad now and apply a new paste? Will this void my warranty/rma if I have to return it anyway?

Also, exactly how much force is required to close the arm lever on the chip. Seems like more than I expected but it will close, its just a tight fit.

Any help is appreciated.

Apheration

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I have a Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI and it won't POST either. I had to push the lever down with quite some force. I thought I was cracking it. maybe I did LOL

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
you dont need much force to push the lever down, if you are, you probably put the chip into the socket wrong and if you realized that you did put it into the socket rom then fill out some RMA forms

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Well, my 6400/ gigabyte ds3 build failed to post (no sounds either thanks to case selection) so Ive tried various things and decided to check that the chip is properly seated in the socket. Its only run for 1-2 minutes tops as I tried various things. Do I still need to remove the thermal pad now and apply a new paste? Will this void my warranty/rma if I have to return it anyway?

Also, exactly how much force is required to close the arm lever on the chip. Seems like more than I expected but it will close, its just a tight fit.

Any help is appreciated.

what do u mean it runs for 1-2 minutes?

you need to remove the thermal paste originally on the HSF ( im assuming that you are using stock cooling from Intel). It won't void the warranty.

captain_queeg

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Ah thanks, I guess Ill get some new paste before I try it again. I was thinking of taking it to a shop before I RMA, at least to be sure what needed to be RMA'd.

By running for a few minutes I mean it wouldnt post so each time I adjusted the ram or graphics card placement and tried it again I let it run for 10 seconds or so. That has added up to a few minutes.

By not posting I mean even the monitor light acts as if nothing is connected and it has no signal. If this was a memory issue or something would that still be the case (no monitor signal at all)?