Windows 2000 swap space

My laptop is continuing to get slower and slower and slower with each
passing month. It spends an inordinate amount of time spinning the
disk, even when doing trivial tasks like lowering and raising a window.

I believe the system is paging, but it gets worse all the time, and I
am wondering if the problem is fragmentation of the swap space. I do
defrag my hard drive on a regular basis (did it just a few days ago),
but there are always those "system files" that the defrag application
won't touch. I am wondering if the swap space is one of those files.

Do you know of any way to get Win2K to rebuild the swap space from
scratch, without losing data? If so, please let me know.

Thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about windows 2000 swap space

    Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
    Policies\Security Options "Shutdown:Clear virtual memory pagefile" set to
    'Enabled'

    But I doubt that is it. You can use Task Manager and or Performance Monitor
    to see what process is consuming the cpu/mem

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Nick" wrote:
    | My laptop is continuing to get slower and slower and slower with each
    | passing month. It spends an inordinate amount of time spinning the
    | disk, even when doing trivial tasks like lowering and raising a window.
    |
    | I believe the system is paging, but it gets worse all the time, and I
    | am wondering if the problem is fragmentation of the swap space. I do
    | defrag my hard drive on a regular basis (did it just a few days ago),
    | but there are always those "system files" that the defrag application
    | won't touch. I am wondering if the swap space is one of those files.
    |
    | Do you know of any way to get Win2K to rebuild the swap space from
    | scratch, without losing data? If so, please let me know.
    |
    | Thanks!

Windows 2000 Windows