Problem: New build wont start

SneakyArab

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I just built a new computer. Its the 1st time I have ever done it. I connected everything and all of the plugs, then went to start the thing.

It starts for about 2 seconds, then shuts off.

I checked the plugs again

Starts again, 2 seconds, cuts off.

I dont know what Im doin wrong here :(

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I just built a new computer. Its the 1st time I have ever done it. I connected everything and all of the plugs, then went to start the thing.

The quality of my answer will directly reflect the quality of your question and information provided:

WOW, that's a lot of info, like telling your mechanic that your car won't start but you don't tell him your make and model of car and whether you hear anything funny.

Try banging a hammer on the top of the case.

The quality of my answer will directly reflect the quality of your question and information provided:

WOW, that's a lot of info, like telling your mechanic that your car won't start but you don't tell him your make and model of car and whether you hear anything funny.

Try banging a hammer on the top of the case.

ALL my computers have that distinct look.

To OP:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/FAQ-Rev-02-26-05-ftopict97744.html

SneakyArab

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I wasnt really sure where I was supposed to put it.

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16813131013

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16819103735

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820145590

Power:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817103931

Video:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814130033

I have the RAM in the DIMM_A1 and A2 slots. there are 2 more slots DIMM_B1 and B2. I wasnt really sure where to put them.

and the HD is the 2nd HD out of my old comp. It is an alright HD.

I didnt format the old HD so it still has lots of files on it. Does that matter?

And yes, all of the fans spin.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Ok, none of those links work.

Your ram slots should be in different colors and you should put the ram in the same colored slots. I suggest you try posting with just one ram in A1 for now though.

The hdd doesn't matter until you are ready to install the OS, you can't POST yet so not an issue.

My suggestion is to unplug everything, then plug everything back in. This means physically remove all components from the motherboard and plug them back in and do the same with the power connectors. Make sure you aren't missing any power connections like the 4 pin to the motherboard or 6 pin to the video card. Try to put this all together OUTSIDE the case on some cardboard to make sure you aren't shorting the motherboard on something in the case.

SneakyArab

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I tried with just 1 stick of ram. That didnt work. I did have them in different colored slots though.

Ummm on the motherboard thing. I put in the gold colored raisers then placed the mobo on top of them. Then screwed the mobo into them. There is nohing in between the raisers and the mobo. The case came with some little red papery circle things. I didnt put those down. Could that be the problem?

And the RAM is CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) System Memory - Retail
Brand CORSAIR
Series XMS2
Model TWIN2X2048-5400c4
Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)
Cas Latency 4
Timing 4-4-4-12
Voltage 1.9V
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Heat Spreader Yes
Warranty
Manufacturer Warranty Lifetime

I tried with just 1 stick of ram. That didnt work. I did have them in different colored slots though.

Ummm on the motherboard thing. I put in the gold colored raisers then placed the mobo on top of them. Then screwed the mobo into them. There is nohing in between the raisers and the mobo. The case came with some little red papery circle things. I didnt put those down. Could that be the problem?

And the RAM is CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) System Memory - Retail
Brand CORSAIR
Series XMS2
Model TWIN2X2048-5400c4
Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)
Cas Latency 4
Timing 4-4-4-12
Voltage 1.9V
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Heat Spreader Yes
Warranty
Manufacturer Warranty Lifetime

Like someone suggested, try reseating your video card and check all the plug ins running from you power supply. You did line up the CPU correctly when you installed it, right? If you can, check the power on switch and be sure it is not pushed out of ground from it's socket behind the front panel.

If you have spare parts like other video cards, other RAM other power supplys that is how I usually solve this kind of proble. And yes, I usually use those little red washers. A lot of possibilities including a short to the MB or a faulty PSU and even the bad power on switch. be sure to plug in the PSU main 24 pin cable to the MB as well as the 4 pin to power the CPU.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Thanks for the memory info!

Most likely cause of this situation is the motherboard being grounded by a misplaced mounting post. Check to make sure all the post line up with all the holes in the motherboard, and remove any posts that don't.

Does that help any?

~Ibrahim~

SneakyArab

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
umm the 4-pin for the CPU? I have the CPU fan in, and on the guide I was reading it said that that connector was for Pentium 4s only. ??

SneakyArab

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Ok new development. Lol

It starts up now, but on the monitor it says "USB Device Over Current. Shutting down in 20...19....18....17...."

then shuts down. There are no USB devices plugged in. Is it maybe that the USB ports (the extra ones on the front) arent plugged in to the Mobo correctly?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Try it with one stick of memory or different slots. That seemed to fix a problem for one person.

BIOS issue as well...Can't update, can you?

~Ibrahim~

Ok new development. Lol

It starts up now, but on the monitor it says "USB Device Over Current. Shutting down in 20...19....18....17...."

then shuts down. There are no USB devices plugged in. Is it maybe that the USB ports (the extra ones on the front) arent plugged in to the Mobo correctly?

Okay it looks like it was a short of some kind between the MOBO and the mounting plate that is in the case. My solution, for what it is worth. I placed 3 nylon washers between the MOBO and the plate around the each and every screw (9). Since this has been a transient issue I will not know if it worked for good for a few days (just to be safe). But I am sending this via the "Hell beast". We shall see, I did not even think of that as a possibility, Thank You.

I will keep you posted.

PS; This is the longest it has stayed up and running (with many restarts) as it has in the past.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_21704279.html

SneakyArab

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Ok I unplugged the front USBs and it works now. I mustve had them plugged in wrong or something.

Now....I just need a step by step guide on how to get ALL this stuff set up.

I went to the setup and it seems that it isnt detecting my HD. What all should I have connected to the HD? I have a power cable and a ribbon cable (which also goes to the CD-Rom drive, which works fine)

Also I did continue in the setup thing and it said boot disk failure. Insert system disk and press enter. What disk does it want? The Windows and the Mobo disks didnt work :/

Ok I unplugged the front USBs and it works now. I mustve had them plugged in wrong or something.

Now....I just need a step by step guide on how to get ALL this stuff set up.

I went to the setup and it seems that it isnt detecting my HD. What all should I have connected to the HD? I have a power cable and a ribbon cable (which also goes to the CD-Rom drive, which works fine)

Also I did continue in the setup thing and it said boot disk failure. Insert system disk and press enter. What disk does it want? The Windows and the Mobo disks didnt work :/

The reason for BOOT DISK FAILURE is you must go into your BIOS and set the CD ROM as the FIRST Boot Device. Then put your windows CD in the CD tray and restart. The system will ask you to press any key to boot from the CD. Do so.

Try that and see where you get. BTW boot your system and just keep hitting 'delete' key to get into you BIOS. Then under Advanced or similiar you can choose CD ROM as you first boot device.

So your HD uses a wide cable exactly like your CD drive? You should put the HD on a seperate cable to IDE controller number 1 and the CD to a IDE controller 2 seperate from the HD. Oh... now I realize you only have one IDE controller. You should of bought a SATA HD. To be honest, I don't think it's going to work with HD and DVD on a single IDE cable. Be sure you hook the HD as master and the CD as slave if on that one cable. Even then I have never done that before.

SneakyArab

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
OK I got the HD to work (I had it as the slave drive on the ribbon)

Now, how do I format the drive without having windows installed yet? I CAN take it out and put it in my old comp, then format it, but that is a big big hassle