Recovery of deleted files 2003 server

Hi,

I had a senario yesterday where a user had deleted a file from a network
share, after completeing 6 hours work on it. I was informed serveral hours
later, and dug out some recovery tools (freeware) to try to restore the
file - unfortunatley no joy.

I have a 2003 server which supports ~100 users, 500k files (20Gb total) and
50k folders. These are backed up to tape every night.

What sort of scheme can / should I implement to allow the undeletion of
files that have been removed when this ocours between my backups? I've been
considering using either a 3rd party software solution, or the volume shadow
copy service. I'm concerened that the shadow copy will only give me a
'point in time' record for whenever I create the copy.

Thanks for any input.

Boxington.

kim

In the microsoft Office Suites, you can set the various
applications to backup automatically at a preset time. I
have ours to back up users' work every 10 minutes. This
way, they would only loose a small portion of their work.

HTH
Kim

I have a similar situation now, but on a much smaller
scale- and I'm hoping you can help me. I have a user who
shared out a local folder to several other users so they
could report on an Access DB he created. Well, one of
them deleted the database. I'm about to search for some
freeware to try and restore it- any suggestions???

Thanks.
Dan

> I have a similar situation now, but on a much smaller
> scale- and I'm hoping you can help me. I have a user who
> shared out a local folder to several other users so they
> could report on an Access DB he created. Well, one of
> them deleted the database. I'm about to search for some
> freeware to try and restore it- any suggestions???

I used Handy Recovery
http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.shtml
(top one)

I couldn't get the file back, probably because of the number of read/writes
to the disk. (If possible install the program on a seperate drive in the
machine too.)

Good luck
Box