Is it possbile to hide a folder

Is it possible to hide a folder from some users? I am trying to set permissions on items in a folder on a W2k server, so that certain groups can use it, but opther cannot even see it. By default users without permissions can see it but cannot access it, but I need a way of them not even seeing it - is this possible. Withing this folder, some subfolders should be visible, some need to be hidden, but only to certain specified users. I can't seem to do it via NTFS/share permissions.... Any ideas?

Thanks

John
3 answers Last reply
More about possbile hide folder

    No - might want to set up those folders differently. Move them to a higher
    level folder and set them (and all others?) up as hidden shares (share$) so
    nobody can browse them. Although I don't really see the point as to me the
    important thing is that people can't get into them if they don't have
    permissions. If you're coming from a Netware background, this can indeed be
    frustrating, but it's different in Windows...

    john wrote:
    > Is it possible to hide a folder from some users? I am trying to set
    > permissions on items in a folder on a W2k server, so that certain
    > groups can use it, but opther cannot even see it. By default users
    > without permissions can see it but cannot access it, but I need a way
    > of them not even seeing it - is this possible. Withing this folder,
    > some subfolders should be visible, some need to be hidden, but only
    > to certain specified users. I can't seem to do it via NTFS/share
    > permissions.... Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    OK thanks!
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    You're most welcome. Personally, I dislike setting NTFS permissions on
    multiple subfolders in a share as it's a pain to remember/administer - if
    the security needs to be diferent, I think it's time for a new share. :-)

    john wrote:
    > OK thanks!

File System Microsoft Permissions Windows