After a recent reinstall of XP when I try to go into safe mode it will start
but then reboot into the normal mode. What could be the cause?
Also when trying the repair function of the reinstall cd(dell) I am asked
for an administrator password when it didn't before.Are the two related?

I would suspect that you're selecting the wrong option.

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222

Starting your computer in Safe mode
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406

To start the computer in safe mode
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx

Getting into Windows Safe Mode:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

More specifically...
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#02

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:0DD31C46-7509-45BD-BB99-4AF11A9ADD2E@microsoft.com,
The Franchise <TheFranchise@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> After a recent reinstall of XP when I try to go into safe mode it
> will start but then reboot into the normal mode. What could be the
> cause? Also when trying the repair function of the reinstall
> cd(dell) I am asked for an administrator password when it didn't
> before.Are the two related?

To enter safe mode easily, Start>Run and in the Open box type "msconfig" (no
quotes). When the System Configuration Utility appears, select the boot.ini
tab. Put a check in Safeboot and click on Networking. Click Apply and
Close. Reboot.

Reverse the process once you are in safe mode, have completed your tasks,
and are ready to return to the regular desktop.