Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,

I'm working on an application that makes use of the NTFS change journal.
From searching Google it seems like the change journal is not that
popular. I still hope to find anyone here who can answer my question:

The MSDN docs state that one could simply resize the change journal
by using the FSCTL_CREATE_USN_JOURNAL control code with
DeviceIoControl() and specify the new MaximumSize and AllocationDelta.

However, when I do this from my app I can never make it smaller. Enlargening
it only works when I specify values around certain thresholds. Setting the
AllocationDelta alone also does not work as expected.

All this does not harm my application but I would like to know if this is
a known system restriction? The fsutil.exe command line tool shows the same
behavior. And the only articles I know of (Jeffrey Cooperstein/Jeffrey
Richter)
don't mention any problems with it (probably because they were written
prerelease)

Anyone?

thanks,
Nick