access denied to files

I have McAfee virus software and it recently found a
virus. My computer won't allow it to be deleted. It
also won't allow me access to the folder it lists. Why
aren't I allowed access to any and all files on my
computer (I'm the only user, and the administrator)? Is
it more likely something to do with the virus and not a
setting on windows? If you have any suggestions that'd
be great.

The virus is multidropper-GP.a I've also tried to remove
it through directions on a number of other websites (same
directions pretty much) and I don't have any of the
files/folders I'm supposed to delete. Maybe they changed
the file names after the removal instructions became
available? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rachael
3 answers Last reply
More about access denied files

    Hi Rachael. I can think of 2 possible obstacles to delete the file:
    1. The infected file might be in quarantine (check in the antivirus event
    log)
    2. You don't have delete permission on the file. It is possible to have
    files without administrative access; i've seen windowsupdate do this on
    ocasion. (check ntfs permissions on the file; at the very least you should
    be able to take posession of it. Once done, assign yourself full control)

    Maybe you already read it, but anyway, additional information on your virus
    can be found at:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.tofger.html
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    I found that in xp (maybe other versions as well), that
    you can't always take ownership of a file. If this
    happens you must boot in safe mode and use the permissions
    to take ownership...I beleive there is a kb article on
    this. I don't remember the number though.

    NCole

Virus Computers File System Windows