Pentium D 915@60c, new heatsink?

hey, has anyone had issues putting on the intel heatsink? Is the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler just as difficult as the intel one to put on? I swear i was scared to death i was going to snap my motherboard.

also, why did intel move away from the simple heatsink of the 478 socket to the more complicated bend and snap your motherboard heatsink that is currently shipped with intel pentium D's?

BTW, this belongs to the HSF forum. Not viewable for the fanboys. :wink:
Ah, good point. :wink:

In addition i would like to add that my computer is officialy a furnace. Thanks! Be great in the winter when its cold and i wanna roast marshmellows.

(I do like my new setup but the heat is a little on the crazy man side) i do need a new case though *shrug - its an old antec steal case from 4-5 years ago. Case alone weighs 45 pounds heh.

/end rambling as i wait for my WoW install...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
also, why did intel move away from the simple heatsink of the 478 socket to the more complicated bend and snap your motherboard heatsink that is currently shipped with intel pentium D's?

One thing that effects the HSF installation, I guess, is that the pins are on the MB for 775 socket. So they had to figure out another way to hold the CPU in place while having to clamp on the HSF.

For the 478.. was much easier, since the ZIP socket held the CPU by its pins pretty much.

makes sense.

Do you know of a situation where someone snapped the motherboard putting on intels crappy heatsink?

I will admit i don't have AS on the chip. I just wanted to get the stupid thing on there and be done with it because its such a pain in the ass.

One thing that effects the HSF installation, I guess, is that the pins are on the MB for 775 socket. So they had to figure out another way to hold the CPU in place while having to clamp on the HSF.

For the 478.. was much easier, since the ZIP socket held the CPU by its pins pretty much.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I'd try reinstalling the HS/F. Perhaps take out the motherboard, and have a hand on the back of the board when you're trying to snap those damn pins in place.

=/ it says in the directions to have the motherboard mounted to the case before putting on the heatsink. Plus there is no way i'm taking everything out again heh.

What they need to do is add 4 screws around the heatsink so the motherboard doesn't bend trying to put the heatsink on.

I'd try reinstalling the HS/F. Perhaps take out the motherboard, and have a hand on the back of the board when you're trying to snap those damn pins in place.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
makes sense.

Do you know of a situation where someone snapped the motherboard putting on intels crappy heatsink?

I will admit i don't have AS on the chip. I just wanted to get the stupid thing on there and be done with it because its such a pain in the ass.

I haven't seen or heard anyone breaking the MB. The only thing I do understand, you have a better chance in getting the HSF on correctly with the MB out of the PC Case.

Since it bows more when it is on the standoffs, makes sense that people would end up installing it wrong. Also seeing the pins on the back side of the MB, helps.

As far as thermal compound, AS5 does show some performance gain in heat transfer, but to me, the white stuff works good enough.

i just applied AS5 that i borrowed from a friend and it didn't make a lick of difference.

I put some on the heatsink base and then wiped it off and then put a thin layer on the processor like i usually do it.

Same temperatures. I'm going to try and take q-fan off. Maybe it needs the fans to spin faster.

edit: well i turned off q-fan and it dropped it 1-2 degrees C =/

makes sense.

I haven't seen or heard anyone breaking the MB. The only thing I do understand, you have a better chance in getting the HSF on correctly with the MB out of the PC Case.

Since it bows more when it is on the standoffs, makes sense that people would end up installing it wrong. Also seeing the pins on the back side of the MB, helps.

As far as thermal compound, AS5 does show some performance gain in heat transfer, but to me, the white stuff works good enough.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I saw you had this topic on the cooler/heatsink forum. I'll just copy/paste what I had there:

It still seems as though, that 775 socket installation is just a big pain. I've been finding and reading enough to see the same problems and fix.

The fix is to keep trying, and perhaps hear a loud snap. Here's what I've been looking at, from the CPU forum:

Another update and happy ending. Temps below in format Core Temp/ASUS Probe.

I have re-applied AS5 third time. Turned on system...

Idle temp: 39c/43c
2xPrime95: 63c/68c after ~ 5 minutes.

At that point I was quite disappointed with results.

Then I tried check the plastic fasteners. Tried pushed a little harder without pulling processor out. Pressed hard on on one, then another, and then I pressed quite hard on pin closest to CPU FAN mb contact... And I heard quite load crack sound... I thought sh%t, I broke my motherboard....

Immedeately turned on system, to check if it boots... And it did boot!

And what I see now?
Idle: 33c/37c
2xPrime95 after ~15 min: 48c/51c!!!

So, i guess that crack sound was final snap of the pin.. It was pretty loud to me...
Good part is that processor gets proper cooling now. I am quite happy about that.

Thank you very much everyone for advices and recommendations!!!!
:D

The thread is:

Conroe E6600 temp: 47c - idle, 72C - on heavy load...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I just wanted to show you one post where someone was having temp problems on a conroe. Thought it would/might help your situation.

Na.. I can understand to post multiple topic's just in case, to solve a problem.

well i tried to push harder as hard as i can and it doesn't budge any further to "Crack" in. I do have a weak hand due to carpal tunnel. This is just a really bad horrable not thought out design by intel.

Anyone know of another method to get the heatsink on? I practicly broke my thumb trying to push as hard as i can.

Or maybe one that doesn't require so much pressure to get the stupid thing on?

Stupid intel and they're shitty designs...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I'm still curious about the installation.

I did end up finding a PDF on an MSI installation here:

CPU-Installation PDF

Now I don't know if the steps are the same, or different for other MBs.

Pushing as hard as you can, to me is kind of insane (even though some people seemed to get it done that way), but what I'd like to point out is the locking of the hooks. If the hooks are locked into place, but if you don't verify, from the back (step 12), I guess that is where the loud snap or pop sound is coming from when pushing on them, one at a time. (from OlegusTT quote)

The instructions from the PDF are:

10. Align the holes on the mainboard with the
heatsink first. Push down the fan/heatsink until
its four clips get wedged into the holes of
the mainboard.

11. Press the four hooks down to fasten the fan.
Then rotate the locking switch (refer to the correct
direction marked on it) to lock the hooks.

12. Turn over the mainboard to confirm that the clipends
are correctly inserted.

So, I think pushing as hard as you can, might break the bottom clip that goes through the hole if your not careful. And if that is broken, that may be one reason why one pin isn't holding it down correctly.

whats the voltage suppose to be for the pentium D 915?

I've seriously done all i can about the heatsink. its at 51 right now. better than 60 but it gets up to 60 underload.

just dropped to 50c

no idea what to do to get this temp lower. I know its suppose to be a lot lower but no idea how to do that.

I used a flathead screw driver to push hard and twist the thing in. Nothing. won't go any further.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Intel® Pentium® D processor 915
Processor Specifications

sSpec Number: SL9DA
CPU Speed: 2.80 GHz
PCG: 05A
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Bus/Core Ratio:14.0
L2 Cache Size: 4 MB
L2 Cache Speed: 2.8 GHz
Package Type: LGA 775
Manufacturing Technology: 65 nm
Core Stepping: C1
CPUID String: 0F64h
Thermal Design Power: 95W
Thermal Specification: 63.4°C
Core Voltage: 1.225V-1.325V

rem523

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
My VCore according to my PC Probe II included with my ASUS P5B (non-deluxe) says that its 1.16-1.17. I am also running a Pentium D 915, and am wondering if I increased the VCore to 1.22-1.23, would it lower my current idle temp of 61-62 degrees Celsius, ~142 degrees fahrenheit.

EDIT: I tried reseating the heatsink and the fan and I adjusted the pins so that they are all orientated in the same direction. I pressed down harder, hearing a few clicks, but not a single loud one. Now while just browsing the web and listening to music, the CPU temp is 56 degrees celsius. Now this is still high, but its not longer right on the border of the 63.4 degree intel specs.