Brother HL-1660 problems

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

We have a Brother HL-1660 that has developed a problem where when printing
onto an 8.5 X 11 size page, a black smudge appears on the left hand edge of
the page about a quarter of an inch wide from top to bottom. Is there
anything I can do other than replacing the toner cartridge? The cartridge is
fairly new and didn't do this when it was first installed.

Also, the printer has started to have jamming problems when printing to
narrower pages. The paper gets stuck at the back and you have to flip the
guide at the back down so the paper comes at the back instead of the top.

Finally does anyone know how to stop a failed print job when page after page
of gibberish is produced...sometimes HUNDREDS of pages?? I've tried
unplugging the printer for 10 minutes and when it's fired up again, it still
continues to print.

Any ideas for these issues would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Mike

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Mikey" <hoho@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>We have a Brother HL-1660 that has developed a problem where when printing
>onto an 8.5 X 11 size page, a black smudge appears on the left hand edge of
>the page about a quarter of an inch wide from top to bottom. Is there
>anything I can do other than replacing the toner cartridge? The cartridge is
>fairly new and didn't do this when it was first installed.
>
>Also, the printer has started to have jamming problems when printing to
>narrower pages. The paper gets stuck at the back and you have to flip the
>guide at the back down so the paper comes at the back instead of the top.
>
>Finally does anyone know how to stop a failed print job when page after page
>of gibberish is produced...sometimes HUNDREDS of pages?? I've tried
>unplugging the printer for 10 minutes and when it's fired up again, it still
>continues to print.
>
>Any ideas for these issues would be appreciated!
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Mike

Mike
If the Toner cartridge is newish then either the drum unit is failing or you
have a fuser roller that is failing (hopefully not), do you know anybody with a
Brother laser that uses the same drum unit? Worth a swap to see if that is it.
Have you printed a status page (the one that shows drum life remaining),
instructions to do this should be in the user manual.

The jamming is probably due to a worn delivery (output) assembly, when these
fail it is often hard to see the cause and I think that a visit to a repair
shop is the best option.

The printer will continue to print after being turned off because the corrupt
print job is still queued by the computer. You will have to cancel the job in
the computer as well as turning the printer off. These corruptions are often,
but not always, caused by a corrupt driver. Worthwhile uninstalling the printer
and reinstalling it to see if that fixes the gibberish prints.
Tony

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

<Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.oAfXNu7C0gwUPg@ue.ph...
> "Mikey" <hoho@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>We have a Brother HL-1660 that has developed a problem where when printing
>>onto an 8.5 X 11 size page, a black smudge appears on the left hand edge
>>of
>>the page about a quarter of an inch wide from top to bottom. Is there
>>anything I can do other than replacing the toner cartridge? The cartridge
>>is
>>fairly new and didn't do this when it was first installed.
>>
>>Also, the printer has started to have jamming problems when printing to
>>narrower pages. The paper gets stuck at the back and you have to flip the
>>guide at the back down so the paper comes at the back instead of the top.
>>
>>Finally does anyone know how to stop a failed print job when page after
>>page
>>of gibberish is produced...sometimes HUNDREDS of pages?? I've tried
>>unplugging the printer for 10 minutes and when it's fired up again, it
>>still
>>continues to print.
>>
>>Any ideas for these issues would be appreciated!
>>
>>Thanks!!
>>
>>Mike
>
> Mike
> If the Toner cartridge is newish then either the drum unit is failing or
> you
> have a fuser roller that is failing (hopefully not), do you know anybody
> with a
> Brother laser that uses the same drum unit? Worth a swap to see if that is
> it.
> Have you printed a status page (the one that shows drum life remaining),
> instructions to do this should be in the user manual.
>
> The jamming is probably due to a worn delivery (output) assembly, when
> these
> fail it is often hard to see the cause and I think that a visit to a
> repair
> shop is the best option.
>
> The printer will continue to print after being turned off because the
> corrupt
> print job is still queued by the computer. You will have to cancel the job
> in
> the computer as well as turning the printer off. These corruptions are
> often,
> but not always, caused by a corrupt driver. Worthwhile uninstalling the
> printer
> and reinstalling it to see if that fixes the gibberish prints.
> Tony

Thanks for the info Tony. I suspect that this printer's days are numbered as
we've had it for several years and it sees fairly heavy use. It's used in a
business so I'm going to start looking for a new printer. I've quickly
looked at the Brother HL 2040 online so it's one choice. We'll see how it
goes.

Thanks again!

Mike