Multiple network drives to same letter?

We have some legacy applications that expect drives to be mapped to
particular locations on the network. Unfortunately, you can ony use one
application at a time. for example. App A requires drive F: to point to
network location A. App B requires drive F: to point to network location B.
These two apps cannot run together.
Is there any way to have drives mapped to a windows application instance
allowing multiple mappings of the same drive.

--
Syrob

"Syrob" <Syrob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have some legacy applications that expect drives to be mapped to
> particular locations on the network. Unfortunately, you can ony use one
> application at a time. for example. App A requires drive F: to point to
> network location A. App B requires drive F: to point to network location
B.
> These two apps cannot run together.
> Is there any way to have drives mapped to a windows application instance
> allowing multiple mappings of the same drive.

Not sure if this works but....

I wonder if different user accounts can have different mappings set up. If
that's possible perhaps you could set it up to run each legacy program with
different user credentials.

Start the applications from a batch file

The batch files could be like this:
(Might ask something like "drive letter in use, connect anyway?" I don't
remeber if there's a switch to do it automatically, so it might always be a
requirement to answer "y" in the DOS-screen. Can't test, as I have no
network available)

AppA.bat:
@echo off
rem App A
net use f: \\server\locationA
start AppA
net use f: /delete

AppB.bat:
@echo off
rem App B
net use f: \\server\locationB
start AppB
net use f: /delete

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Start the applications from a batch file
>
> The batch files could be like this:

That would make switching between them easier but would it allow both at
once to be open?

> I wonder if different user accounts can have different mappings set up. If
> that's possible perhaps you could set it up to run each legacy program
with
> different user credentials.

Just in case of confusion.... I didn't mean you would log in as different
users.

I mean set up a special user account (Fred) with the drive mapped one way.
Then in your normal users accounts set up one application to run normally
and the other application with Freds credentials. (Right click and set
Properties -> Shortcut tab -> advanced button -> Tick "Run with different
credentials")

No idea if this works but might be worth trying..

No. I don't think there is (or has been in any Win version) any chance for
that.
Is those apps written so that they use a drive letter explicitly, or can
they be (re)written to use a UNC-path instead of a drive letter??

(UNC-path = \\server\share)