New Supervisory Account/delete old one

Since someone else reloaded WinXp Home for me,
The single supervisory account had a name which I
do not want.
I thought that renaming folders would do, but Windows
tells me it can't be done.
I found that the name for the folder in question comes
from the original name of the account, so I decided to
create a new one and delete the old one.

If I succeed in deleting the old account, will all files that
are not shared be deleted also?

2) If above is true only.
How do I get these files to remain and not be deleted?

3) If the files remain only.
Will they automatically be attached to the new account
and how will the tree structure fare?

p.s. there are only two accounts existing, as described above.

T.
2 answers Last reply
More about supervisory account delete

    When you delete an account,it'll ask you if you want to save the users
    files,say yes and thier usually saved to the desktop.

    Thur wrote:
    > Since someone else reloaded WinXp Home for me,
    > The single supervisory account had a name which I
    > do not want.
    > I thought that renaming folders would do, but Windows
    > tells me it can't be done.
    > I found that the name for the folder in question comes
    > from the original name of the account, so I decided to
    > create a new one and delete the old one.
    >
    > If I succeed in deleting the old account, will all files that
    > are not shared be deleted also?
    >
    > 2) If above is true only.
    > How do I get these files to remain and not be deleted?
    >
    > 3) If the files remain only.
    > Will they automatically be attached to the new account
    > and how will the tree structure fare?
    >
    > p.s. there are only two accounts existing, as described above.
    >
    > T.

    Create the new Administrator account and log on to that account. You will
    first need to take Ownership of the files in C:\Documents and
    Settings\<unwanted account> and then copy the contents of that profile to
    the new profile you created. These 2 articles will guide you.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

    How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP