Cant rename a file as it crashes windows explorer

tickedo

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
I have a .mkv file that when I click on the folder it is in, it restarts windows explorer?? I cant rename or delete it as it crashes straight away. Any ideas??

edmond419

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Try these steps (these steps are not linked to each other)

1. In windows explorer, press the alt key once, a menu bar will appear. Go tools > folder options ... > view > check the box that says "always show icons, never thumbnails". Click OK. Try what you want to do again.

2. Copy the folder that contained the folder to a USB drive and move it to another computer (if other computer crashes as well, use one with Windows XP). If the copy operation crashes windows explorer, move it instead. Try what you want to do on the other computer.

3. Open a web browser (any modern web browser at all would do such as ff, ie, chrome etc..), then press control + O. Navigate to folder and try to do your operation from there. Post results.

billies_r_us

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

I'm having what seems like a similar problem, which has started in the last couple of days with Windows 8 on my laptop. If I attempt to create or rename any folder, even if I do so using commands in Windows Power Shell, Windows Explorer just crashes immediately. Although the file has actually been created or renamed once I open the directory back up again.
I've tried the three suggestions above and number 3 works in that it allows me to rename and create folders without closing Windows Explorer, however I don't want to constantly have to open Windows Explorer through Firefox just to organise folders. Does anyone have any further helpful suggestions?