Yet ANOTHER... sys build

mrmez

Splendid
New sys on the way.
Dont wanna spend HUGE on it, but being scalable iz good.
Sys will be used for video/photo editing and games when i can.
Proposed...

ASUS Nforce 590 Mobo (when they eventually come out)
Intel 805 + water (cheap as, OC to ~4Ghz, will go C2D in later months)
7900GT (one for now, sli in few months, good performance/$)
1Gb x2 Dual Chan RAM (any decent fast brand)
~300Gb sata2 (2x in raid 0?) + ~400Gb (media storage)
~550w psu (maybe pull apart and hack a water cool block on, get rid of all fans and noise :twisted: )
19" LCD Samsung (x2? 8) )

Thats all the important stuff. I know the sys aint that good, but for the price i dont think i could do a whole lot better. In a year or so will def go C2D, and prob another 7900 before Christmas. Oblivion iz a killah.
Word

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
New sys on the way.
Proposed...

~550w psu (maybe pull apart and hack a water cool block on, get rid of all fans and noise :twisted: )

Thats all the important stuff. I know the sys aint that good, but for the price i dont think i could do a whole lot better. In a year or so will def go C2D, and prob another 7900 before Christmas. Oblivion iz a killah.
Word

BAD BAD HORRIBLE PLAN.

805 sucks, totally and comptetely. If you must go their route, at least got a 820 (perferbally a 930) to get the full cache and 800MHz FSB.

SLI is a horrible upgrade path, especially now. One 7900GT one and one is december is about the absolute worst upgrade you can ever make. With DX10 cards coming in Dec/Jan with much better performance you just wasted a lot of money and non to mention the power requirements of an SLI setup.

SLI GOLDEN RULE: If thou cannot buy SLI at time of purchase or within 60 days thou shall not own SLI."

By the way, if Oblivion is your main game, go ATI.

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
New sys on the way.
Proposed...

Word

BAD BAD HORRIBLE PLAN.

805 sucks, totally and comptetely. If you must go their route, at least got a 820 (perferbally a 930) to get the full cache and 800MHz FSB.

SLI is a horrible upgrade path, especially now. One 7900GT one and one is december is about the absolute worst upgrade you can ever make. With DX10 cards coming in Dec/Jan with much better performance you just wasted a lot of money and non to mention the power requirements of an SLI setup.

SLI GOLDEN RULE: If thou cannot buy SLI at time of purchase or within 60 days thou shall not own SLI."

By the way, if Oblivion is your main game, go ATI.

I would say more, but the duck is right on the money with his comments. Listen to him, and you can't go wrong.

mrmez

Splendid
Yeah, i know the golden SLI rule :oops: but my mate owns a pc shop, so chances of getting an identical card are higher according 2 him, even so, SLI was more of an after thought, so im not stressed if i cant get.

Dont know too much abt dx10 cards, exept that they will prob be expensive at first, and i need this sys within 30 days.

Running an 805 in one sys atm @3.5Ghz, cant say im unhappy with its performance, but having said wot i said and being impatient, will prob get that and then C2D @ christmas and give the 805 to my sis. Then dx10 card after they been out 3-4months. Hopefully by that stage (~june 2007) i wont need a new mobo/ram etc :evil:

Im not too stressed abt upgrading after a few months as i have (for work and home) 7 systems in total of various ages and specs, so there are always hand me downs for older systems.

ChrisBond

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
No, your plan isn't good at all. Sorry to say that tho. Just get a E6300 overclock that with the stock fan. It will say save you a lot of money. And don't get 7900GT, get 7950GT which is going to cost about the same, maybe but that just more than 7900GT. And a budget would be helpful. Then I can really help you.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
805 + water = E6300, price wise.
Also you should reach some nice speeds with a zalman or a big typhoon and the E6300.
And the absolute best $/performance card you can get right now is the connect3D Radeon X1900XT its the SAME price as a 7900GT and it outperforms it greatly.
DX10 will be expensive at first, yes. But the X1900XT should hold you off until their price is low enough (maybe even second generation DX10 if you play at low resolutions).
Im not sure if the 590 mobos will be out within a month, hopefully yes, but you could get the ASUS P5NSLI wich is the only 570 right now.