Resizing OS partition partition Drive C

I am running Win2000 server sp4 on 3 18GB SCSCI discs set up as a raid 5 array on a Perc2 raid controller. Soon I will be running out of room on my 4GB partition due to security updates and service pack deployment. Thankyou Microsoft.
I need to get my OS onto a bigger partition in order to avoid future difficulties.
Can this be done without the potential for a crippling System crash or do I just keep my fingers crossed that I dont run out of space before I leave the company
Can you copy the contents of the active OS partition onto another larger partiton and amend the active status for each partition respectively. If so what software will help me do this.
I am running arround in circles and some help would be gratefully recieved.
Thankyou in anticipation

Leigh

Check out Volume Manager from Powerquest, it will be able to reduce D: and
then expand C:. It is pricey, though.

A less pricey solution is to backup D: and then delete it, in order to get
free contiguous space after C: in order to extend it.

You can use diskpart.exe from "safe mode with command prompt" to expand
your system partition.

This is normally not recommended on the system partition, but usually works
anyway. Also see this MS Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325590

Another option is to perform an upgrade installation, as this article
describes:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289876

After this, you would be able to create a new, smaller D:, and restore.

Best regards

Bjorn

"Leigh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am running Win2000 server sp4 on 3 18GB SCSCI discs set up as a raid 5 array on a Perc2 raid controller. Soon I will be running out of room on my 4GB partition due to security updates and service pack deployment. Thankyou Microsoft.
>I need to get my OS onto a bigger partition in order to avoid future difficulties.
>Can this be done without the potential for a crippling System crash or do I just keep my fingers crossed that I dont run out of space before I leave the company
>Can you copy the contents of the active OS partition onto another larger partiton and amend the active status for each partition respectively. If so what software will help me do this.
>I am running arround in circles and some help would be gratefully recieved.
>Thankyou in anticipation

Dear Bjorn

Thankyou for your suggestions which I shall try out. I hope diskpart.exe works as this seems to be the easiest.

Can I move the contents of D arround without loss of program functionality assuming I put every thing back the way it was, drive letters etc.??

Thanks again
----- Bjorn Landemoo wrote: -----

Leigh

Check out Volume Manager from Powerquest, it will be able to reduce D: and
then expand C:. It is pricey, though.

A less pricey solution is to backup D: and then delete it, in order to get
free contiguous space after C: in order to extend it.

You can use diskpart.exe from "safe mode with command prompt" to expand
your system partition.

This is normally not recommended on the system partition, but usually works
anyway. Also see this MS Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325590

Another option is to perform an upgrade installation, as this article
describes:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289876

After this, you would be able to create a new, smaller D:, and restore.

Best regards

Bjorn

"Leigh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am running Win2000 server sp4 on 3 18GB SCSCI discs set up as a raid 5 array on a Perc2 raid controller. Soon I will be running out of room on my 4GB partition due to security updates and service pack deployment. Thankyou Microsoft.
>I need to get my OS onto a bigger partition in order to avoid future difficulties.
>Can this be done without the potential for a crippling System crash or do I just keep my fingers crossed that I dont run out of space before I leave the company
>Can you copy the contents of the active OS partition onto another larger partiton and amend the active status for each partition respectively. If so what software will help me do this.
>I am running arround in circles and some help would be gratefully recieved.
>Thankyou in anticipation

Leigh

Yes, you can move applications to another partition or disk, as long as the
drive letter assignment still is D:, and they will continue to function.

I have heard of issues running diskpart.exe while Array Manager have been
installed on Dell servers. If diskpart fails, try uninstalling Array
Manager and see if this lets diskpart to run, if you run into this problem.

Best regards

Bjorn

"Leigh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Dear Bjorn
>
>Thankyou for your suggestions which I shall try out. I hope diskpart.exe works as this seems to be the easiest.
>
>Can I move the contents of D arround without loss of program functionality assuming I put every thing back the way it was, drive letters etc.??
>
>Thanks again
> ----- Bjorn Landemoo wrote: -----
>
> Leigh
>
> Check out Volume Manager from Powerquest, it will be able to reduce D: and
> then expand C:. It is pricey, though.
>
> A less pricey solution is to backup D: and then delete it, in order to get
> free contiguous space after C: in order to extend it.
>
> You can use diskpart.exe from "safe mode with command prompt" to expand
> your system partition.
>
> This is normally not recommended on the system partition, but usually works
> anyway. Also see this MS Knowledge Base article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325590
>
> Another option is to perform an upgrade installation, as this article
> describes:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289876
>
> After this, you would be able to create a new, smaller D:, and restore.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bjorn
> --
> Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
>
> "Leigh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am running Win2000 server sp4 on 3 18GB SCSCI discs set up as a raid 5 array on a Perc2 raid controller. Soon I will be running out of room on my 4GB partition due to security updates and service pack deployment. Thankyou Microsoft.
> >I need to get my OS onto a bigger partition in order to avoid future difficulties.
> >Can this be done without the potential for a crippling System crash or do I just keep my fingers crossed that I dont run out of space before I leave the company
> >Can you copy the contents of the active OS partition onto another larger partiton and amend the active status for each partition respectively. If so what software will help me do this.
> >I am running arround in circles and some help would be gratefully recieved.
> >Thankyou in anticipation

Seth John

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
C drive low disk space warning will pop out now and then if the system runs out of space which will slow down the computer and not allow you to upgrade any of the applications that you installed on the system partition.

In this situation, resize the OS partition to a larger one is the needed.

Here is a guide to safely and easily resize your OS partition : www.partition-tool.com/resource/resize-os-partition.htm