Autorun and Autoplay

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I'm having a lot of problems getting Autorun to work properly with a
USB-based drive. I've seen a lot of documentation that is contradictory, so
hopefully someone can point me to the source of the right information.

Putting the following onto a removable USB hard drive (volume-based music
player), does not do what I want it to. It appears that autorun.inf is
ignored, and content sniffing happens and Autoplay is invoked (despite the
documentation found at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/autoplay/default.aspx )

Here's what I've put onto my disk...
autorun.inf
setup.exe
\setup\_bunch_of_setup_files

the contents of autorun.inf are pretty darn simple:
open=setup.exe

When I plug this device in, Windows XP does a sniff, finds some music and
some pictures, and displays a mixed media dialog rather than running my
autorun.inf.

What gives? Once I get this one answered, I'll have more... ;-)

Thanks.
Phillip

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

---autorun.inf--cut here--
[autorun]
open=setup.exe
--cut here--

--

Mark L. Ferguson
marfers notes for windows xp
"phillip shoemaker" <phil@virginelectronics.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a lot of problems getting Autorun to work properly with a
> USB-based drive. I've seen a lot of documentation that is contradictory,
> so hopefully someone can point me to the source of the right information.
>
> Putting the following onto a removable USB hard drive (volume-based music
> player), does not do what I want it to. It appears that autorun.inf is
> ignored, and content sniffing happens and Autoplay is invoked (despite the
> documentation found at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/autoplay/default.aspx )
>
> Here's what I've put onto my disk...
> autorun.inf
> setup.exe
> \setup\_bunch_of_setup_files
>
> the contents of autorun.inf are pretty darn simple:
> open=setup.exe
>
> When I plug this device in, Windows XP does a sniff, finds some music and
> some pictures, and displays a mixed media dialog rather than running my
> autorun.inf.
>
> What gives? Once I get this one answered, I'll have more... ;-)
>
> Thanks.
> Phillip

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

?
That is _exactly_ what I've done, yet it is ignored. This is ignored, for
some reason, and the autorun debugging app even states so. However, it
doesn't state WHY it is ignored.

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ---autorun.inf--cut here--
> [autorun]
> open=setup.exe
> --cut here--
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "phillip shoemaker" <phil@virginelectronics.com> wrote in message
>> I'm having a lot of problems getting Autorun to work properly with a
>> USB-based drive. I've seen a lot of documentation that is contradictory,
>> so hopefully someone can point me to the source of the right information.
>>
>> Putting the following onto a removable USB hard drive (volume-based music
>> player), does not do what I want it to. It appears that autorun.inf is
>> ignored, and content sniffing happens and Autoplay is invoked (despite
>> the documentation found at
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/autoplay/default.aspx )
>>
>> Here's what I've put onto my disk...
>> autorun.inf
>> setup.exe
>> \setup\_bunch_of_setup_files
>>
>> the contents of autorun.inf are pretty darn simple:
>> open=setup.exe
>>
>> When I plug this device in, Windows XP does a sniff, finds some music and
>> some pictures, and displays a mixed media dialog rather than running my
>> autorun.inf.
>>
>> What gives? Once I get this one answered, I'll have more... ;-)
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Phillip

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

There are several registry entries that might effect that.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:0x000000FF
this disables autoorun completely

( 0x00000091 enables all but hard drives)

Start, Run and enter REGEDIT
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom] "Autorun" =
dword:0x00000000
OR
In XP Pro Go to start/run, and type GPEDIT.MSC. Go to Computer
Configuration, Administrative Templates, System find the item "Turn Off
Autoplay" There is a script available to do this for either version.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_cd_autorun.vbs

the value of dword:0x00000001 enables

If none of this applies, you probably have a driver for the cd that needs
updating

--

> ?
> That is _exactly_ what I've done, yet it is ignored. This is ignored, for
> some reason, and the autorun debugging app even states so. However, it
> doesn't state WHY it is ignored.
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> ---autorun.inf--cut here--
>> [autorun]
>> open=setup.exe
>> --cut here--
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> marfers notes for windows xp
>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> .
>> "phillip shoemaker" <phil@virginelectronics.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm having a lot of problems getting Autorun to work properly with a
>>> USB-based drive. I've seen a lot of documentation that is contradictory,
>>> so hopefully someone can point me to the source of the right
>>> information.
>>>
>>> Putting the following onto a removable USB hard drive (volume-based
>>> music player), does not do what I want it to. It appears that
>>> autorun.inf is ignored, and content sniffing happens and Autoplay is
>>> invoked (despite the documentation found at
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/autoplay/default.aspx )
>>>
>>> Here's what I've put onto my disk...
>>> autorun.inf
>>> setup.exe
>>> \setup\_bunch_of_setup_files
>>>
>>> the contents of autorun.inf are pretty darn simple:
>>> open=setup.exe
>>>
>>> When I plug this device in, Windows XP does a sniff, finds some music
>>> and some pictures, and displays a mixed media dialog rather than running
>>> my autorun.inf.
>>>
>>> What gives? Once I get this one answered, I'll have more... ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Phillip

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

never mind. i guess it just won't work. It isn't a cd (read my posting), and
i guess it just doesn't work with USB Mass Storage Class devices...

> There are several registry entries that might effect that.
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
> "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:0x000000FF
> this disables autoorun completely
>
> ( 0x00000091 enables all but hard drives)
>
> Start, Run and enter REGEDIT
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom] "Autorun" =
> dword:0x00000000
> OR
> In XP Pro Go to start/run, and type GPEDIT.MSC. Go to Computer
> Configuration, Administrative Templates, System find the item "Turn Off
> Autoplay" There is a script available to do this for either version.
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_cd_autorun.vbs
>
> the value of dword:0x00000001 enables
>
> If none of this applies, you probably have a driver for the cd that needs
> updating
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "phillip shoemaker" <phil@virginelectronics.com> wrote in message
>> ?
>> That is _exactly_ what I've done, yet it is ignored. This is ignored, for
>> some reason, and the autorun debugging app even states so. However, it
>> doesn't state WHY it is ignored.
>>

>> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> ---autorun.inf--cut here--
>>> [autorun]