Sound Blaster Audigy 4 or Sound Blaster X-fi Platinum

sgt0802

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I'm buying a new sound card and I really can't see much difference when comparing these 2 cards except that the audigy is a little cheaper. Any recommendations? All opinions and help on deciding this will be appreciated.

halcyon

Splendid
They're both very descent sound cards, if you need to save $$ get the Audigy 4...if you want the latest and greatest and all the toys that can be had (24bit Crystalizer, EAX 5, CMSS3D, breakout box)...get the X-Fi. If 2-channel stereo is all you're really going to use than the cards are pretty evenly matched and the X-Fi would be overkill given very similar performance can be had by a lot of less expensive audio boards, including, but not limited to, the Audigy 4. X-Fi Platinum? Why? Is that breakout box really worth $50-$80 to you? There's no other difference between the Platinum and Extreme Music versions. ...and you can get the Creative's digital I/O (Coax and Optical S/PDIF) for $15 if its digital I/O you seek.

Bazukaz

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Hi,
I found this thread quite interesting to me as well. I am thinking about buying either Audigy SE or audigy 4. Is there a noticeable differece in sound quality between these ? I will be mainly listening to stereo.

Regards,
Lukas.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Why are you even considering the two? Do you require other audio outputs that don't come with the X-FI Xtreme music? Guitar input? If not, get the X-FI Xtreme music; same audio quality as the X-FI Platinum for less.

halcyon

Splendid
Hi,
I found this thread quite interesting to me as well. I am thinking about buying either Audigy SE or audigy 4. Is there a noticeable differece in sound quality between these ? I will be mainly listening to stereo.

Regards,
Lukas.

I'd go with the Chaintech AV-710 as it cost about the same as the Audigy SE and is a far better card, in terms of capability. ...but if you must have Creative, get the SE for mainly stereo.