sreekanthcm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Hi

Some of the manufatures not recomending to format USB flash drives why???? If format the disk what will hpn? Some are also not giving warranty for formated disk

sreekanthcm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
If i wish to change the file format to ext3 or FAT16 etc........??????????????????????? I'm agreeing with u all the drives came with preformated, but if the customer wish to format the same ????????

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hi

Some of the manufatures not recomending to format USB flash drives why???? If format the disk what will hpn? Some are also not giving warranty for formated disk

Try it against what they say.....let us all know what happened when you SCREWED it up big time....ok?

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
There are a few brands of USB Flash drives out there that will be unusable after formatting (generally because the manufacturer has done something non-standard in the USB flash drive). However, I have personally formatted several different USB flash drives and have not had any problems.

I've been able to format Kingston, SanDisk Cruzer, and Patriot USB flash drives. I've even installed syslinux to one of them and made it bootable.

If you do format one, however, I would avoid the NTFS file system. Use FAT16 or FAT32. NTFS uses a lot of space on the flash drive for the MFT, and the NFTS journal file is involved in constant writes to the drive, which could shorten the life of the flash memory.