error on start up - cannot start windows at all

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

i cannot get into windows at all. i've tried using safe
mode, and a boot disk but the same message keeps showing
up half way through the startup operation. I can't access
my drive C:\ in dos, and i cannot format the partition.
what should i do? can anyone help?

The message is exactly as follows in a blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190256, 0xED437748, 0XED4373A0,
0XBFF4B125)
NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

*** Address BFF4B125 base at BFEDE000, DateStamp 38437ed3-
NTFS.sys

If this is the first time seeing this Stop Error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow
these steps:

Disable or Uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation
or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration,
and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check
for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer

Refer to your Getting Started manuel for more information
on troubleshooting Stop Errors.

"rob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:fe1501c43e9e
$276b6100$a001280a@phx.gbl:

> i cannot get into windows at all. i've tried using safe
> mode, and a boot disk but the same message keeps showing
> up half way through the startup operation. I can't access
> my drive C:\ in dos, and i cannot format the partition.
> what should i do? can anyone help?
>
> The message is exactly as follows in a blue screen:
>
> *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190256, 0xED437748, 0XED4373A0,
> 0XBFF4B125)
> NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
>
> *** Address BFF4B125 base at BFEDE000, DateStamp 38437ed3-
> NTFS.sys
>
> If this is the first time seeing this Stop Error screen,
> restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow
> these steps:
>
> Disable or Uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation
> or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration,
> and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check
> for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer
>
> Refer to your Getting Started manuel for more information
> on troubleshooting Stop Errors.

Most likely you have a serious file system problem or your drive is
failing. Boot from Windows 2000 CD into Recovery Console. Run chkdsk /r
at least 2 times and see what it reports. If it fails or always reports
errors then you will need to replace drive. If it works try booting
again.

Leonard Severt
Microsoft Enterprise Support

rights.