Event 55 NTFS Error

donald

I recently starting getting the Event ID 55 NTFS Error.
I'm getting every couple days.. sometimes multiple times
on one day. It's happening on WD 250GB HD that is
partitioned, 4 GB going to the OS, with the remaining
space going to the 2nd partition. I've been told that this
is being caused by bad data being written to the drive,
and basically the only solution is to back up the drive,
reformat it, then restore the drive. What I'm more
interested in, is why the bad data is being written to the
drive. Also, when the unit is rebooted, it performs a
chkdsk... then starts deleting orphan files.

Here's some background on the problematic system:
The second partition is constantly being written to by an
application that records video. It has a 2.8Ghz P4
processor, 845 Intel Motherboard, 512 RAM. It is running
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, with Intel Application
Accelerator. 48-bit LBA support has not been enabled in
the registry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

"Donald" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I recently starting getting the Event ID 55 NTFS Error.
> I'm getting every couple days.. sometimes multiple times
> on one day. It's happening on WD 250GB HD that is
> partitioned, 4 GB going to the OS, with the remaining
> space going to the 2nd partition. I've been told that this
> is being caused by bad data being written to the drive,
> and basically the only solution is to back up the drive,
> reformat it, then restore the drive. What I'm more
> interested in, is why the bad data is being written to the
> drive. Also, when the unit is rebooted, it performs a
> chkdsk... then starts deleting orphan files.
>
> Here's some background on the problematic system:
> The second partition is constantly being written to by an
> application that records video. It has a 2.8Ghz P4
> processor, 845 Intel Motherboard, 512 RAM. It is running
> Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, with Intel Application
> Accelerator. 48-bit LBA support has not been enabled in
> the registry.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Most likely this is caused by physical problems on the drive. Try
running chkdsk /r on both partitions. Then run chkdsk without any
switches to get a report. See if it shows bad sectors. If it does
replace drive.

Leonard Severt
Microsoft Enterprise Support

rights.