mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
How do I know which of the 965 chipset motherboard manufacturers have added IDE support? I am re-thinking the Asus P5B but only if I can use my IDE optical drives.

What are your thoughts on the P5B vs. the P5W DH?

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
The new Intel P965 is a bit of a shock if you're old-fashioned like I am, heheh, having only one IDE add-on controller requiring 'F6' for drivers.
Even then it will not install the OS on the IDE drive... it's SATA or nothing.
I had already purchased my Plextor SATA DVD and was (stupidly) trying to mount a HD on the one IDE. It doesn't work...
I assume, if the proper boot order is selected, IDE optical drive will still start OS installation okay - but this is only speculation on my part, LoL.
But that is about all the single default JMicron IDE is good for,
Regards

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
It'll have IDE if an extra IDE controller is added for 965P, mostly JMicron JMB363 being used nowdays.

Both P5B vanilla and P5B Deluxe have it as do Gigabyte 965P-DS3/DS4.

So I'd be good to go with the P5B Deluxe. After reading the latest on it from anandtech I am deciding on the P5B or the P5W. I don't care about dual GPU's and will overclock my e6600 to about 3.2ghz. I know the P5W is very solid for overclocking and a very stable board.

What are your thoughts between the P5W and the P5B? What is the advantage of the 965 chipset, if any, compared to the 975x?