ChefOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Hello all, I just put together a new system with an e6600, and I was wondering about those dual-core hotfixes that made single-core apps run better on dual-core CPUs. I know there was an AMD fix, and Microsoft had one available on the windows support site. My question is: are there any fixes that work with Core 2, and are they even necessary?

Thanks.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Hello all, I just put together a new system with an e6600, and I was wondering about those dual-core hotfixes that made single-core apps run better on dual-core CPUs. I know there was an AMD fix, and Microsoft had one available on the windows support site. My question is: are there any fixes that work with Core 2, and are they even necessary?

Thanks.
Short answer: If you are not having problems, the fixes are not necessary.

Longer answer:
2 basic kinds of problems with dual core procs:
A) Your motherboard has an early BIOS release that's not happy with dual core. It will either only recognize one of the cores or possibly will not even boot up at all. Easy fix is to upgrade the BIOS. If this problem exists then the upgrade will be available, (assuming for Intel cpus that the chipset supports your particular processor).
B) A particular program (AFAIK always a game) has problems running on your dual core. The "AMD" fix is a simple program that adds "usepttimer" to WindowsXP boot.ini. It works by making sure both cores maintain timing syncronization (?) and also is supposed to help Intels as well. There are also many other "fixes" as well.

I recommend you worry about dual-core "fixes" only if you are having problems. Chances are good that all is well...

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey Wellin,
The hotfix patch you mention.....are you asking for the amd one? If so I think yu can get the link to it from the AMD site. If not PM me and I can get the link for you. I have it in my fav's :)
RIG specs
Antec P180 PerformanceSeries Mid-Tower Case
SeaSonic S12 600 watt power supply
Asus A8N32 SLI mobo socket 939 AMD N-Force 4 SLIX16 (bios 1103 V02.58)
RealTek 97 onboard digital 5.1 Surround
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core, 2 X 1mb L2 cache (AMD driver 1.3.1.0 w/MS hotfix & AMD Dual Core Optimizer)
2 gigs of Corsair TwinX3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC 256mb in SLI (nvidia driver 91.31)
Western Digital RAPTOR 74.3 gig 10-K rpm HDD for XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for gaming, movies, MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for document backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX 500watts

weilin

Distinguished
i saw somewhere it was a reg change/hack + some file download + something change to boot.ini. I do have a 3800+ and it would be a shame if i can't use it to full potential...

Edit: First off, i would like to thank Paybax for the link. That website had the whole procedure listed along with links to all the patches. Anyways, without further adieu: here is the Link for the steps.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Well, it infers only one issue. They are numerous, often unrelated and isolated issues.

There is the Microsoft registry fix which addresses AMD dual-core voltage and speed throttling errors. Sometimes the proc throttles down but does not come back up. This is the cool&quiet issue StrangeStranger mentioned.

There is the issue of an old BIOS that does not run a dual-core properly.

There is the "AMD" hotfix, which addresses errors when the cores get out of sync. A simple add to boot.ini fixes this. The hotfix you download just adds the line for you.

There are other issues as well. Some games hang when played with a dual core (AMD or Intel). This is due to the game and its interaction with WindowsXP rather than a hardware problem. To run a game with this problem usually you have to tell Windows to assign a specific core to its operation. In severe cases you may have to tell Windows itself to run only one of the cores. I believe these problems are relatively rare.

In any event these are the issues I've heard about.

I run an X2 3800+ and ran into the "old BIOS" issue which was easily fixed.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Not a problem, odd though isn't it how so many make such a whoopla about Core 2 Duo errata and Intel steppings.... but it is the X2 AMD chips than need patches, hot fixes, and 'optimizations' to work properly. :)
Gee, I'd bet most of the whoopla comes from young AMD owners suffering from cognitive dissonance...
I've built Intel systems for years. BIOS upgrades, chipset driver upgrades and Windows patches seem to come with the territory no matter which brand of parts you buy.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
True, bios updates always come along to fix bugs in the bios, power glitches etc. What I find comical is the wording and specifically around the dual core buzz terms.

AMD released a 'dual core optimizer' --- make no mistake, this is a patch. Then there is the hypocricy of the Inq and most AMD fanbois, which is AMD can do no wrong and Intel can do no right --- yet AMD's K8 errata is just as long and laced with bugs as Intel's recent errata.

Jack

Can't argue with that. I do wish they would put all of the AMD dual core and cool & quiet fixes in a sticky - issues with these seem to come up a lot in the threads. I don't have a dual core AMD, so creating a sticky with all the known problems might be good project for another...I vote for Baron.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
True, bios updates always come along to fix bugs in the bios, power glitches etc. What I find comical is the wording and specifically around the dual core buzz terms.

AMD released a 'dual core optimizer' --- make no mistake, this is a patch. Then there is the hypocricy of the Inq and most AMD fanbois, which is AMD can do no wrong and Intel can do no right --- yet AMD's K8 errata is just as long and laced with bugs as Intel's recent errata.

Jack

Can't argue with that. I do wish they would put all of the AMD dual core and cool & quiet fixes in a sticky - issues with these seem to come up a lot in the threads. I don't have a dual core AMD, so creating a sticky with all the known problems might be good project for another...I vote for Baron.

LOL, the only problem Baroness can see with AMD is that everyone doesnt own them yet.

Maybe it would be a good job for MMM. Hes the only member of the horde that demonstrates the ability to learn. Call me silly, but if he would stop the MrsD and MrsBytch BS, I see reason for his account to be unlocked.

Peace