Lines in photos from HP Photosmart 8750

I recently got a Photosmart 8750. I have now two times tried to make a nice
11x17 borderless print: Each time I got very thin white lines across the
image. Seven lines, parallel to the long side of the paper, the first line
about 10cm from an edge and then the rest regularly spaced just over 1cm
apart. They look like scratches, thin lines where there is no ink of any
color. But there is no depth to them like a scratch, no "trench" to catch
something dragged across the line. I find nothing in the paper path that
would produce a scratch, also. The images were printed from PS 7.0.
I tried reporting this to HP via their website, but from the responses it is
clear that nobody is reading the details or understanding what a printer
like this would be used for.
I would appreciate both any comments on how to get HP to listen as well as
any experiences with this printer that might help!
Thanks,
Bob Wilson

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:17:52 -0500, "Robert L. Wilson"
<wilson@math.wisc.edu> wrote:

>I recently got a Photosmart 8750. I have now two times tried to make a nice
>11x17 borderless print: Each time I got very thin white lines across the
>image. Seven lines, parallel to the long side of the paper, the first line
>about 10cm from an edge and then the rest regularly spaced just over 1cm
>apart. They look like scratches, thin lines where there is no ink of any
>color. But there is no depth to them like a scratch, no "trench" to catch
>something dragged across the line. I find nothing in the paper path that
>would produce a scratch, also. The images were printed from PS 7.0.
>I tried reporting this to HP via their website, but from the responses it is
>clear that nobody is reading the details or understanding what a printer
>like this would be used for.
>I would appreciate both any comments on how to get HP to listen as well as
>any experiences with this printer that might help!
>Thanks,
>Bob Wilson

If it's fairly regular and all over the image, it might be that one or
more of the jets is clogged or not getting ink. I haven't owned an HP
printer in years, so I'm not sure if the usual head cleaning
proceedures would apply. It might also happen if one or more of the
ink tanks is running low, especially if the printer isn't sitting
perfectly level.

MCheu

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

The way to get them to listen is to return the printer. Failing that, The
problem you describe may be hardware or software.
(Both the printer and/or the PC.)
At this point, based upon the symptoms, the printer may have bad memory, a
head horizontal feed problem, comunication problems with the PC, or the PC
might have one of several subtle problems. Even an antivirus program can
cause such odd symptoms.

"Robert L. Wilson" <wilson@math.wisc.edu> wrote in message
>I recently got a Photosmart 8750. I have now two times tried to make a nice
> 11x17 borderless print: Each time I got very thin white lines across the
> image. Seven lines, parallel to the long side of the paper, the first line
> about 10cm from an edge and then the rest regularly spaced just over 1cm
> apart. They look like scratches, thin lines where there is no ink of any
> color. But there is no depth to them like a scratch, no "trench" to catch
> something dragged across the line. I find nothing in the paper path that
> would produce a scratch, also. The images were printed from PS 7.0.
> I tried reporting this to HP via their website, but from the responses it is
> clear that nobody is reading the details or understanding what a printer
> like this would be used for.
> I would appreciate both any comments on how to get HP to listen as well as
> any experiences with this printer that might help!
> Thanks,
> Bob Wilson

Hi Bob - I would like a few more details of your problem. If the blank lines
are completely inkless and along the long side of the print the problem is not
a clogged printhead or other printhead issue, as any nozzle problems would
result in lines along the other axis. What is the resolution and format of the
source file? What platform are you using, Windows or Mac?

If you would email me your phone number, a good time to call you and your
source file (if possible) I will get someone at HP to work with you on this
issue. mailto:bobh@proaxis.com

Regards,

For starters make sure you are using HP paper for testing. Also make
sure you made the proper selections on the driver menu. If there is
still a problem call HP and talk to support.

If the problem persists I would return the printer. The Canon ip9900 is
an excellent choice as a replacement.

Robert L. Wilson wrote:

>I recently got a Photosmart 8750. I have now two times tried to make a nice
>11x17 borderless print: Each time I got very thin white lines across the
>image. Seven lines, parallel to the long side of the paper, the first line
>about 10cm from an edge and then the rest regularly spaced just over 1cm
>apart. They look like scratches, thin lines where there is no ink of any
>color. But there is no depth to them like a scratch, no "trench" to catch
>something dragged across the line. I find nothing in the paper path that
>would produce a scratch, also. The images were printed from PS 7.0.
>I tried reporting this to HP via their website, but from the responses it is
>clear that nobody is reading the details or understanding what a printer
>like this would be used for.
>I would appreciate both any comments on how to get HP to listen as well as
>any experiences with this printer that might help!
>Thanks,
>Bob Wilson

fossiljim

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I just purchased the 8750 last week and am still getting used to it.
However I have noticed an annoying problem similar to what you describe. I printed 8x10 on glossy premium plus and it is stunningly beautiful. However, after running this through again the next day to print text on the reverse side (I'm making greeting cards) I notice very fine long scratches on the glossy side that was printed the previous day. It may be caused by paper guides that the glossy side rubs along as it is pulled through for the reverse printing.
For the cost and applications assigned to this printer, I am disappointed that this would happen.
My suggestions to anyone doing similar printing, is to print the reverse text first, then the photo on the glossy side second. This way the ink may fill in the fine scratches.

Jim