Apple's iPhone Infringes Three Patents, Jury Said

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Another company that holds onto patents for stuff they never made in order to make money off the companies that are actually making products.

I'm glad to see someone's pushing Apple's lawsuit BS back in their face but I don't want it done like this.

G

Another day another useless Iphone infringement no one cares about...

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
Not that Apple didn't have it coming to them something fierce, but I'm just sick of all the drama in general. Seriously, if these tech giants put a fraction of the money they put into these legal ventures into their R&D, we would have hoverboards by now.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]Another company that holds onto patents for stuff they never made in order to make money off the companies that are actually making products.I'm glad to see someone's pushing Apple's lawsuit BS back in their face but I don't want it done like this.[/citation]

I guess you missed this comment in the article:

According to court filings, these patents were originally acquired from Nokia and Sony back in 2010, and cover the camera phone, call handling and call rejection. A court disclosure statement also revealed that 10-percent or more of MobileMedia's stock is owned by Nokia, Sony of America and MPEG LA, a patent-licensing authority.

So, Sony and Nokia decided to work with another company and combine all their patents together for licensing purposes thus allow all three companies to be able to make money off the fruits of their labors. I see nothing wrong with this, this is not someone patent trolling, but bringing patents together to make licensing of said patents, that were rightfully worked on and created by the overall partner companies, easier for other companies using those technologies and go to a single source for licensing.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
"Judge Robinson took the case to trial once the number of offending patent claims were reduced to a mere three."

How did 14 infringing patents become three? What happened to the other 11?

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Apple is reaping what they sew.... still sucks that it's happening all over the place.

All these patent issues are doing is sending a message to our future inventors and innovators: If you've got the balls to make it, we've got the balls to sue you for it!

G

I'm tired of all those legal parasites that are attracted by Apple's big cash reserve. And I'm sure they will get 10 times the money they could have hypothetically made IF they had an extremely successful product on the market. But they don't, so they prey on other companies success. Truly pathetic!

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]LandoCalisse[/nom]I'm tired of all those legal parasites that are attracted by Apple's big cash reserve. And I'm sure they will get 10 times the money they could have hypothetically made IF they had an extremely successful product on the market. But they don't, so they prey on other companies success. Truly pathetic![/citation]

Please re-read the article, this is not some patent troll, but a company created by Nokia and Sony to license their patents to make it easier for others to license the patents that they own. At the end of the article, you'll note the following commentary:

"Our goal is really to license these patents broadly to the market," said Larry Horn, chief executive of MobileMedia. "We’re not in the litigation business."

And if you read back a little, which I highlighted above, this is a company that was made by Nokia and Sony for licensing of their combined patent portfolio to make it so other companies don't have to come to each of them individually and work out a licensing agreement, they can just go to the single entity to deal with the licensing aspects streamlining the whole situation.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
@wannabepro
Look on the bright side, it wasn't written by Zak Islam

Yeah, I was thinking he same thing but, I think Zak only posts news that praises apple...

anyways...

Apple needs some of their own shakanery tossed back at them for a while.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]Look on the bright side, it wasn't written by Zak Islam[/citation]
So why Zak did not wrote this? Because t is against Apple?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I really wish the patent system would change (don't we all). I wish that in order to exercise lawsuits against companies for alleged patent infringement on patents used in technology, that the patent holding company needs to manufacture, market, and sell a product that actually uses those patents.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]LandoCalisse[/nom]I'm tired of all those legal parasites that are attracted by Apple's big cash reserve. And I'm sure they will get 10 times the money they could have hypothetically made IF they had an extremely successful product on the market. But they don't, so they prey on other companies success. Truly pathetic![/citation]

Yeah, apple, stop stealing other people/company's ideas/innovations. a crook company headed by Tim Crook, haha. Coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.