What's the Deal with the ATI X800 Pro?

Hello,

I've been in the market for a new AGP video card recently. My ATI 9700 Pro just took a dive and I would like to upgrade.

Just about anything on the market now seems to be an upgrade for me. At first, I was looking at the ATI x800 Pro, but I've seen the X1300 and X1600 for more reasonable prices than the X800.

From reading the specs, they are all similar cards. The one feature I like about the X1600 is it has a 512MB AGP version. I've been bouncing around Tom's site and trying to compare benchmarks as best as possible, and it seems the performance grows with the model number.

Here's the kicker - in some cases, the X800 Pro appears more expensive than the other cards. I've looked at PriceWatch, Best Buy's website and even ATI's website to compare prices. What makes the X800 card more expensive? It looks like the same basic core processing speeds; while I'm assuming it's less refined than the X1300, why is it more expensive?

As a side note to this question, what are some of your suggestions on where I should upgrade? I would like to upgrade the whole system, but I don't have the $1K at the moment to do so -=) So, I'm stuck with getting a sub-$200 AGP card. I've read the "Bang for Buck" sticky at the top of the forum. Looks like the X1600. Any other opinions?

Thanks in advance,

-A
37 answers Last reply
More about what deal x800
  1. Yeah, these just came back in stock @ newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143045

If its NV40 you can unlock the GPU to full spec (assuming none of the pipes are damaged) either way...its still a nice card and at an even sweeter price.

If I needed too, that would be my choice. Forget the X1300 or x1600, trust me.
  2. X800 pro is way better than the X1600 pro.

In sub $200 AGP best to worst available IMO are:

AIW X800XT
    X800XL/X850 pro
    X800 pro/X800GTO
    6800GS
    7300GS

All are above the X1600 pro.

The 7800GS and X850XT are top notch AGP cards but too expensive. 7600GT AGP should soon arrive and would be a great sub $200 card if priced there. ANyway, the ATI AGP deals are disapearing ( my X800XL AGP was $113 a month or so ago), so the $125 X800GTO may end up being the best value, 7600GS isn't bad with a little less power but better features.
  3. Thanks for the input, guys. I looked at some benchmarks comparing the 6800 GS vs. the X800XT - it looks like the 6800 GS out-performs it...barely. I will probably go that route.

I appreciate the input! Thanks!
  4. I bought the x800xt All in wonder card and im happy with the performance im getting with it...
    I had the same thing in mind first time i saw those cards...to tell u the truth, 512 isnt always better, the 256 im sure will out perform the 512 card....

But definately go x800, u wont be sorry...
  5. The X800XT would outperform even the PCI-e 6800GS at stock speeds. Sure you were not looking at overclocked results?

But reguardless, the AGP 6800GS is clocked way lower and therefore slower than the X800XT. matter of fact it has a hard time keeping up with the X800GTO or pro and is slower for sure than the X800XL and X850 pro.

Anyway, IMO without question the X800XT is better than the AGP 6800GS. Since they are priced about the same, I personally wouldn't even consider the 6800GS. For $125 or less the 6800GS would be very nice though.
  6. I was looking at the latest VGA Charts here on Tom's Hardware. With 3DMark, it was a few points higher. But since there's such strong support for the X800 series, I better stick to them ;P Either way, I'm going to at least double the performance of my old card. Can't beat that!
  7. If that's the interactive charts, that's a high clocked PCI-e version clocked 485MHz core/1300MHz mem. The AGP's have a different core and don't clock that high. matter of fact, 350/1000 is reference speeds for the AGP 6800GS (a let down when announced). As you can imagine, a 135MHz core/300MHz mem boost makes for a ton of performance; the AGP 6800GS is nowhere's near that level.
  8. Gotcha...makes sense to me. Good call.
  9. I look at it either way.....6800GS NV40 @ full spec and UE BIOS packs a large punch. But on the other hand, your not guaranteed an NV40 otherwise I would jump on it over any other solution suggested in the budget.

However if can snag an X850 or X800XT....then by all means go for it, they will perform better than the GS.
  10. Is the rest of your system spec's up to snuff until you can afford to rebuild? I would steer you away from the X800/850. Sure, it's faster but that isn't usually the most important thing. But get that if you play shooters and only need speed rather than nicer looking games. I recommend you get the 6800GS since it is only about $40 more than a X1600.
  11. Quote:
    I would steer you away from the X800/850. Sure, it's faster but that isn't usually the most important thing. But get that if you play shooters and only need speed rather than nicer looking games.

Um, for fun, can you specifically name some games where the 6800GS will look better?

I can think of a few where it is possible, but given the raw power of a 6800GS AGP (or lack thereof), I'd say it's not a big benefit and IMO less of a benefit to fsaa, higher details, and higher performance. As far as I know, the X800XT AIW is priced like a 6800GS AGP, and real world playable settings the X800XT is easily going to provide the better IQ in most games.
  12. Quote:

AIW X800XT
    X800XL/X850 pro
    X800 pro/X800GTO
    6800GS
    7300GS

The 6800GS is better than an X850/GTO fanboy :roll:
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/evga6800gs/5.html

Reported.
  13. Not to mention shader model 3 support you zealot :roll:

Reported.
  14. Better than the X800pro yes...

X850 is right along side if it becomes full spec.

Please tell me your not starting that reported thing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  15. Quote:
    Please tell me your not starting that reported thing

I'm not :wink:
  16. Quote:

AIW X800XT
    X800XL/X850 pro
    X800 pro/X800GTO
    6800GS
    7300GS

The 6800GS is better than an X850/GTO fanboy :roll:
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/evga6800gs/5.html

LOL, nice try sneeky NVman. That is a PCI-e 6800GS, and notice, it is outperforming the 6800GT. The lame slow clocked AGP's are nowhere's near a 6800GT/X800XL/X850 pro, never mind the equal priced X800XT.

Gotcha!!!!! :tongue:
  17. Quote:
    Better than the X800pro yes...

X850 is right along side if it becomes full spec.

Please tell me your not starting that reported thing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, while in PCI-e like in GW's link, I fully agree. But in AGP I disagree with you. At stock speeds, the X800 pro would beat the reference AGP 6800GS in the majority of games. Digit-lifes AGP charts show the X800 pro beating the Asus 350/1000 clocked 6800.

Just compare card number 19 which is identicle to a reference 6800GS, with card 6, the X800 pro. http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/index0507.html

(Obviously, I am talking stock speeds not overclocked/unlocked.)
  18. Quote:
    Not to mention shader model 3 support you zealot :roll:

Reported.

Which with a 350/1000 AGP GS would make for such a pretty 800x600 slideshow. :twisted:

If you gamed on a 12-pipe 6800GS AGP, you'd be fuming mad and disgracing it on these forums. And you know I'm right. :wink:

Reported :P
  19. Either way...NV40 6800GS > X800pro (After unlock)

I've only seen one NV40 based GPU unlock and produce artifacts, it was a 6800LE.

If he gets an NV42 ---thats a 110nm chip makes it > X800pro
    (after overclocking though)

NV41 --- he's screwed.

So I'm not saying that the GS will be the guaranteed performer of the two.
    There's still a chance he could get a shotty core. On the other hand, he could get one of the two cores I mentioned.

both the GPU's are fine and sit equally with one another; can't fault you for either choice, just get whats cheap and too your liking.
  20. Based on what I'm hearing I think I'm going to stick to the X800 series.

Back in the day (me being the ripe old age of 24 ;) ) I used to be big into overclocking, etc. Nowadays I just want my stuff to work. I got tired of playing the cooling rat race - leave it to the hobbyists I say. That being the case, the GS6800 doesn't look like what I should get. Out of the box, it seems by everyone's comments that the X800 can outperform.

I stick mostly to RTS and RPG nowadays too. I haven't played a shooter seriously since UT and Serious Sam (yikes). So while frame rates are important to me, there won't be a whole helluva lot of flashy-blinky fast-paced rendering going on. And if I understood the comment above, the GS6800 plays well to the FPS spectrum.

What I really SHOULD do is buy one of each and return the one that performs like a$$ :D
  21. Quote:
    Either way...NV40 6800GS > X800pro (After unlock)

I've only seen one NV40 based GPU unlock and produce artifacts, it was a 6800LE.

Well, if it unlocks and OC's, sure then it has potential. But it is an IF and not a when. Guru 3D's 6800GS AGP was an NV40 and it's quad was damaged. So add that to your list of another NV40 that wasn't successful. And to top it off, NV40's are lousy overclockers. Most 6800U's are lucky to hit 430MHz. Cleeve's didn't if I remember right, and my BFG stock at 425MHz maxed out at 435MHz. Guru3d only managed 410MHz core on their 6800GS AGP, and with the damaged quad, that is exactly the results GW would get ticked off about. Shoot, 410 core and 12 pipes; it's still no where's near a stock PCI-e NV-42 at 425MHz.

QUote that summerizes my Opinion:
    "After setting the flags and a simple reboot (really that's all it takes). We had them enabled and working, unfortunately our quad was damaged yet we did manage to pull some numbers. It's like a lucky draw really. But hey it can equal free performance in a snap."

link: http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/314/15/

At least it's alot easier to try and more likely to work than copying digit-lifes successful X800 pro to X800XTPE. http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/rx800-3.html
  22. If you are talking an AGP 6800GS vs a X800 pro for the same price, I'd say go for the SM3.0 6800GS even though at stock speeds its a bit behind. If the Pro is alot less money as has usually been the case, get the X800 pro. But my bets are that for the same price, you are talking the AIW X800XT and 6800GS AGP, in which case the extra 4 pipes and clock speeds make the XT much faster. Shoot, the X800XT performs between a 6800GT and 6800U, so a succesful unlocked & overclocked 6800GS would barely beat it. AND a slight X800XT overclock should erase that lead anyway. Plus when you are talking stock speeds as you mention, the X800XT would cream it, give you a tv tuner, and a remote for probably the same price, maybe cheaper.

Sold out right now, but Buy.com had the AIW X800XT for $159 no rebates shipped free. Add a $15 coupon code and it's $144 if it comes in stock. Otherwise, newegg and ewiz are more like $170. ATI direct is $179, but you can get a 5% coupon code. But what's the cheapest 6800GS AGP?
    http://www.buy.com/prod/ATI_All_In_Wonder_X800_XT_256MB_AGP_8x_Video_Card/q/loc/101/10386224.html
  23. lol my gainward 6800gs agp with a Nv42 core is hardly crap lol
    stock speeds are the same as a pci e 425core 1000 mem but gainward stock speeds are 450 core 1200 mem with this card and generaly it performs better than a 6800gt and sometimes near ultra performance.
    only 35mhz and 100mhz respectfully slower than the gianward goes like hell pci-e 6800gs plus lots of room for overclock in the future.
    Oh also it plays Oblivion fine on high settings at 1024*768 with some Af enabled in the control panel.
  24. This is the best deal for AGP period.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608

I purchased one for my secondary AGP rig and it came with all 16 pipes enabled right out of the frikkin box! 8)

Slapped an aftermarket cooler on it and clocked it high enough that it performs nearly identical to my old X850XT PE that I used to own.
  25. GW You bugger! Brings a PCIe bench to an AGP fight... :)
  26. Quote:
    GW You bugger! Brings a PCIe bench to an AGP fight... :)

Well considering the source im not suprised :roll:
  27. I heart my 6800GS
  28. Well, by all means, if he wants to try the pro-->XT conversion I fully support that. I know thats one of the first things I did when I got my X800pro. Worked like a charm. Made a Bios backup, flashed the gigabyte X800XT, then a PE bios....then just began the overclock.

Had to turn the fan speed up a bit, but worked just fine for $110 less than the XTPE @ the time.
  29. Quote:
    lol my gainward 6800gs agp with a Nv42 core is hardly crap lol
    stock speeds are the same as a pci e 425core 1000 mem but gainward stock speeds are 450 core 1200 mem with this card

Yeah, that's nice but not a reference 6800GS. We can't even buy that card in the USA. :x Matter of fact, Newegg, our largest online site for video cards only has one 6800GS AGP in stock. Pricewatch brings up one more; the cards are fairly rare.

But show me a 425/1200 clocked AGP 6800GS like yours for under $175 and it will be the first card I recommend in such an AGP thread. (At least until the 7600GT AGP hits the streets. ) Until then, the X800 series is the better buy here, and has been for quite a while now.

AIW X800XT $156
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102492

6800GS $160
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143045
  30. Valid point Pauldh .
    gainward is the only manufacturer of this version of the 6800gs and it is factory overclocked with very fast Vram to boot. also the NV42 core is correct according to rivatuner. As for the cost LOl more like 330 dolars
    but at the time this was a cheaper option than a 7800gs and from personal experience i have found ati cards unreliable as in short video card lifetime. and a decent agp card for me was easier then a new cpu mb and pcie video card.
  31. Stinks for us that Gainward moved out of North America. I have always liked their cards, and still own a few. Your 6800GS and the Bliss 7800GS's are a few more reasons for wishing Gainward comes back to the West.
  32. Oooh baby. A noob in another thread just brought us a link to the first in stock 7600GT AGP on Newegg. And at $173, it looks like NV is back in the sub $200 AGP game. Not PCI-e prices, but better than I imagined it would be.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122009
  33. I would love to be able to pick up one of those little babies and toy with it....just the cash flow has been a little tighter than expected :x

All is well though, either way, through my purchase or someone else's I'll get a chance to fiddle with one :evil: :twisted:
  34. I have been sitting here saying the same exact thing, almost word for word. Part of me wants to buy it and test it now, but if someone doesn't go for it, I'll be stuck with another hefty AGP card I don't really need. But hey that would make for a good 6800U vs 7600GT vs X800XTpe vs X800XL AGP shootout, and I bet my kids wouldn't mind the upgrade in their rig. :wink:
  35. Thats the thing, for some reason I dont/can't pawn off most of the components I buy after I'm done with them. So I have a lot of stuff left over I dont use until a friend, family member etc...needs, wants or I just need to get rid of.

I actually got lucky the other day and sold my Opteron for $150...
    But that is about one in a million around here. Maybe I should start doing ebay :?: :?: :?: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Either way, I know I'll have enough to get my hands on an X1650.
  36. Ooh boy, you sound just like me. I rarely use ebay and sell off components only in full builds, customer upgrades, or give/trade them to family/friends. Otherwise I hold onto them until they are worthless.

If I had the cash to throw out I'd grab this 7600GT and make GW and offer on his 7800GS. Then I'd need to find a X850XTpe on ebay, call in sick for a week, and do a nice 8-card AGP roundup. Since that sounds like a blast, I must be a pathetic geek. :roll: I may as well also add a X800GTO and 6800GS, just for kicks.
  37. Quote:
    7300GT, not GS.

:?: I only mentioned 7600GT and 7800GS. :? You mean not the 6800GS put in a 7300GT? are they out in AGP?
  38. Quote:
    This is the best deal for AGP period.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608

I purchased one for my secondary AGP rig and it came with all 16 pipes enabled right out of the frikkin box! 8)

Slapped an aftermarket cooler on it and clocked it high enough that it performs nearly identical to my old X850XT PE that I used to own.
  39. Quote:
    Ooh boy, you sound just like me.

Maybe were related??? Christ I hope not :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In other news; I'm really beginning to miss that damn Opty.
    Not a huge amount of people can claim they've made 3ghz+ stable on an AMD CPU. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  40. Hi there -

I ended up going with the ATI AIW X800XT. I'm very satisfied with the card - my 3dMark scores have gone up by 2.5x! I checked out a couple of games and they're running smooth as silk.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards ATI Graphics Product