Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem booting from external DVD writer on Gigabyte DS3

Last response: in Storage
Share
August 26, 2006 6:12:32 PM

I have a problem booting from a Plextor 740UF external DVD writer. The motherboard I have is Gigabyte DS3, and the BIOS is updated to the latest release (F4). I tried to boot from USB-CDROM with several bootable DVDs and CDs but I only get the message Booting from CD\DVD: and nothing else happens. If I turn off the drive or if I unplug the USB cable, the computer continues to boot into Windows.

Do you have any suggestion for me?
August 26, 2006 6:36:50 PM

Quote:
I have a problem booting from a Plextor 740UF external DVD writer. The motherboard I have is Gigabyte DS3, and the BIOS is updated to the latest release (F4). I tried to boot from USB-CDROM with several bootable DVDs and CDs but I only get the message Booting from CD\DVD: and nothing else happens. If I turn off the drive or if I unplug the USB cable, the computer continues to boot into Windows.

Do you have any suggestion for me?


You would have to go into the BIOS under Boot Priority and see if your external DVD is an option there as a boot device. If so select it as the First Boot device.
August 26, 2006 8:04:47 PM

Quote:
You would have to go into the BIOS under Boot Priority and see if your external DVD is an option there as a boot device. If so select it as the First Boot device.


Of course I did that. How else could I have seen the boot message? The only options I have in there are USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM and USB-HDD. I also tried selecting explicitly the USB-CDROM on the instant boot menu (press F12 in the initialization stage) – but the result was the same: It kept waiting for something. The cd/dvd did not make any move in the drive. The computer keeps waiting for something until I unplug the drive.
Related resources
August 26, 2006 8:19:19 PM

Quote:
You would have to go into the BIOS under Boot Priority and see if your external DVD is an option there as a boot device. If so select it as the First Boot device.


Of course I did that. How else could I have seen the boot message? The only options I have in there are USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM and USB-HDD. I also tried selecting explicitly the USB-CDROM on the instant boot menu (press F12 in the initialization stage) – but the result was the same: It kept waiting for something. The cd/dvd did not make any move in the drive. The computer keeps waiting for something until I unplug the drive.

I built an ASUS A8n-SLI Deluxe board a couple of weeks ago. When I loaded up my Windows XP Pro CD the installation files would load up and the computer would say 'computer will reboot in 15 seconds'. After rebooting the system would head for the installation files and then hang and display 'Error loading Operating system'. I searched the net for an answer. There seemed to be mixed reviews on the subject. I happened to have a copy of Windows XP Home edition there. Stuck in the CD and windows loaded right up :roll: . I updated windows and updated everything and used it that night. next morning tore it down and returned the MB. Got the new MB and my Windows XPpro disk loaded right up. So, try a diffferent Windows disk and try a different DVD player. I realize you have tried everything you know and have put too much time into solving the problem already. I would return the MB AND the Plextor DVD player if the system would not load up a windows XP operating system.
August 26, 2006 8:25:48 PM

I have used the dvd writer before on my laptop to boot ad install linux and windows, and it worked flawlessly. My guess is that the Award BIOS on the Gigabyte DS3 is crappy!

On the other hand I still hope that someone had the same problem that I do, and that he/she solved it :? .
August 26, 2006 8:34:04 PM

Quote:
I have used the dvd writer before on my laptop to boot ad install linux and windows, and it worked flawlessly. My guess is that the Award BIOS on the Gigabyte DS3 is crappy!

On the other hand I still hope that someone had the same problem that I do, and that he/she solved it :? .


Yeah, my question was, 'does the DVD player work on another machne?' I would look at the MB as being the culprit, the BIOS like you suggested. If you have never used the RAM before, you might try loading the Windows CD with one stick in number one slot. RAM is often the cause of software loading errors. HTH. GL.
August 26, 2006 8:43:05 PM

I have installed windows ok from another cd-rom drive (internal) and everything woks ok (even the dvd-writer :x ). The problem is with the booting only. It seems that the BIOS fails to ask for data from the USB 2.0 hub (this is what I'm thinking, at least...). I never tried to plug the drive into the ports from the front of the case, because the case I have now does not have them :oops:  Could this solve anything?
August 26, 2006 8:50:05 PM

Quote:
I have installed windows ok from another cd-rom drive (internal) and everything woks ok (even the dvd-writer :x ). The problem is with the booting only. It seems that the BIOS fails to ask for data from the USB 2.0 hub (this is what I'm thinking, at least...). I never tried to plug the drive into the ports from the front of the case, because the case I have now does not have them :oops:  Could this solve anything?


I see, you can install windows from other DVD ROMs even the RW? You would have to select the RW as the First Boot Device. Yeah, your BIOS is not allowing you to boot to you usb device.

You know, I have never loaded windows rom a USB CD player. I have a USB CD burner, but used it years ago on an old system that didn't have a burner. Don't know about the front usb ports solving the proble. Look for any adjustments for your USB configuration in yur BIOS and make adjustments accordingly.
August 26, 2006 8:55:53 PM

440bx...a little help here :D 
August 26, 2006 9:17:26 PM

Could this solve anything?

Found this concerning booting from a USB device. May be dated information:

Make sure USB Legacy support is enabled in BIOS.
August 26, 2006 9:25:23 PM

Quote:
I have a problem booting from a Plextor 740UF external DVD writer. The motherboard I have is Gigabyte DS3, and the BIOS is updated to the latest release (F4). I tried to boot from USB-CDROM with several bootable DVDs and CDs but I only get the message Booting from CD\DVD: and nothing else happens. If I turn off the drive or if I unplug the USB cable, the computer continues to boot into Windows.

Do you have any suggestion for me?


I believe I have your answer!

When you build a motherboard and load the USB drivers, the drivers will not be loaded from the MB CD. A message tells you that Windows Update will load the USB drivers when you do the update. You system will not boot from an external CD/DVD until Microsoft updates your operating system.
August 26, 2006 9:58:19 PM

Yep, badge is right. For example, my USB mouse didn't work until I had installed the USB 2.0 drivers from the disk. Should solve the problem, if you can use an internal drive anyway.
August 26, 2006 10:03:40 PM

Quote:
Yep, badge is right. For example, my USB mouse didn't work until I had installed the USB 2.0 drivers from the disk. Should solve the problem, if you can use an internal drive anyway.


Can you tell computers drive me crazy? Solved the reason your usb mouse didn't work :D 

Nice overclock on the 805 D Smithfield BTW.
August 27, 2006 12:14:40 AM

My problem is that the drive cannot even read the cd or the dvd inside. You see, I cannot see any menu to install drivers if for instance I want to boot the windows cd.

The other thing is that the internal drive that I have is only a cd-rom. I need a dvd rom to boot suse linux or vista :) 

So far I couldn't solve the problem. I have every option with USB (USB Controller, USB COntroller 2.0, USB Legacy device) enabled and still nothing.

On the other hand I did notice something: before the table with the IRQs is displayed it says Detected Storage Device: Plextor 740a 1.02. So it seems that the dvd-riter is indeed detected. Now I only have to make it boot a dvd :x
August 27, 2006 12:29:10 AM

Quote:
]My problem is that the drive cannot even read the cd or the dvd inside. You see, I cannot see any menu to install drivers if for instance I want to boot the windows cd.


You have to have windows installed BEFORE the system can read your CD from a usb device. A usb mouse will not work until you have windows installed, for example.

Quote:
The other thing is that the internal drive that I have is only a cd-rom. I need a dvd rom to boot suse linux or vista :) 


I DVD ROM is $20 on Newegg :D  Problem solved.

Quote:
So far I couldn't solve the problem. I have every option with USB (USB Controller, USB COntroller 2.0, USB Legacy device) enabled and still nothing.


You won't be able to boot from ANY usb device without the proper BOOT files. You Plextor has no BOOT files.

Quote:
On the other hand I did notice something: before the table with the IRQs is displayed it says Detected Storage Device: Plextor 740a 1.02. So it seems that the dvd-riter is indeed detected. Now I only have to make it boot a dvd :x


Absolutely. The BIOS knows that Plextor is there. It just doesn't have any drivers installed to run it. Not until you load windows will your system have USB DRIVERS.
August 27, 2006 3:35:42 AM

Quote:
You have to have windows installed BEFORE the system can read your CD from an usb device. A usb mouse will not work until you have windows installed, for example.


Then how do you explain that I booted successfully from several linux dvds on my laptop? The only difference that I can find is the BIOS. Furthermore I have a USB keyboard and mouse (wireless) that work just fine even before widows is loaded.
August 27, 2006 3:43:31 AM

Quote:
Then how do you explain that I booted successfully from several linux dvds on my laptop?


You booted successfully because windows was installed before you booted to Linux dvd.

Quote:
The only difference that I can find is the BIOS. Furthermore I have a USB keyboard and mouse (wireless) that work just fine even before widows is loaded.


Before windows is installed you olny use the up/down/left/right keys on the keyboard within the BIOS. No mouse, just designated keys and I'm not sure a usb keyboard would afford that.

Your Plextor CD usb drive does not have BOOTABLE program to allow a usb device to be a BOOTABLE device. The drivers for your MB's USB interface are on the windows CD and the Windows updates.
August 27, 2006 3:48:20 AM

Quote:
The only difference that I can find is the BIOS. Furthermore I have a USB keyboard and mouse (wireless) that work just fine even before widows is loaded.


Try this. Put your MB driver CD in another computer and try and open it. If you can go to DRIVERS. The USB drivers for your MB are on the MB CD. You will be instructed to get a USB driver from Microsoft.
August 27, 2006 5:00:08 AM

Quote:
Before windows is installed you olny use the up/down/left/right keys on the keyboard within the BIOS.

I'm sure bogdancoder already knows that...
Quote:
and I'm not sure a usb keyboard would afford that.

Then you don't know much about current motherboards. Of course you can use a USB keyboard in the bios (as bogdancoder already said), just like you can use a USB Flash drive, External HDD or ODD both by USB to boot from a livecd/dvd or install an operating system to the hdd, in most motherboards. In fact you named the USB Legacy support in one of your posts, now you know what it does (not related to the USB keyboard/mouse support).
No pun intended badge. :p 


bogdancoder, it really seems to me that you are experiencing inmature/buggy BIOS issues or a defective motherboard. I would check at gigabyte site for a bios update, if any then update and see if that helps and of course if it doesn't solve the issue... RMA.

EDIT: Reading better your post (bogdancoder) I noticed you already flashed the latest bios release, so If not a compatibility issue... you're dealing with a defective product.
August 27, 2006 5:49:03 AM

Before windows is installed you olny use the up/down/left/right keys on the keyboard within the BIOS.

Batspoon wrote:

Quote:
I'm sure bogdancoder already knows that...



Yet he used the mouse in his BIOS, he said he did, check?


and I'm not sure a usb keyboard would afford that.


Batspoon wrote:


Quote:
Then you don't know much about current motherboards. Of course you can use a USB keyboard in the bios (as bogdancoder already said),


HUH? WTF are you talking about. I've never used a mouse in BIOS. He can use designated keys in BIOS.

Batspoon wrote

Quote:
just like you can use a USB Flash drive,


Huh? With a BOOTABLE program on a USB flash drive you can boot to that drive without windows being installed. Your flash drive knowledge is lacking. Put you flash drive in you usb and try and boot to it?


Batspoon wrote:

Quote:
External HDD or ODD (both by USB) to boot from a livecd/dvd or install an operating system to the hdd, in most motherboards.


He hasn't booted from his efing external hard drive because his usb drivers are not installed. You say his MB is ef'ed? He said He can load windows with the internal CD.



Quote:
No pun intended badge. :p 


I don't think so.

Quote:
bogdancoder, it really seems to me that you are experiencing inmature/buggy BIOS issues or a defective motherboard. I would check at gigabyte site for a bios update, if any then update and see if that helps and of course if it doesn't solve the issue... RMA.


imature BIOS? LIke He hasn't been to a Gigabyte site? He's been trying to boot from that Plextor all day. A BIOS update to be sure his USB is updated? The drivers for his USB are on his MB CD


Quote:
EDIT: Reading better your post I noticed you already flashed the latest bios release, so If not a compatibility issue... you're dealing with a defective product.


Reading better?
August 27, 2006 6:15:02 AM

:lol: 

I wasn't attempting to start a debate about some known FACTS.

It's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about and neither do want to learn.
August 27, 2006 6:23:32 AM

Quote:
:lol: 

I wasn't attempting to start a debate about some known FACTS.

It's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about and you don't want to learn.


So, tell me...He loads windows with his internal CD. The MB works fine. Even the External CD works perfect. Nothing wrong with his BIOS either?

To tell you the truth an internal DVD ROM cost $20 bucks. I'm sure if he can afford an external DVD ROM He can afford $20. I have an external CD burner. To be honest, I have never tried to load windows on a new MB from that drive. You say I can? Have you loaded windows with an external DVD ROM? I would really like to know.

As far as your comment about me not being willing to learn, That's BS. Please give your explaniation as to why He can't load windows from his Plextor CD. The MB is bad? The bios is premature? HUH?

I was just trying to help the guy out. If you say windows will load from his external CD, please tell him how to acompolish that.
August 27, 2006 7:04:39 AM

Quote:
Do you have any suggestion for me?


Try a different usb cable.
August 27, 2006 11:10:40 PM

Quote:
Try this. Put your MB driver CD in another computer and try and open it. If you can go to DRIVERS. The USB drivers for your MB are on the MB CD. You will be instructed to get a USB driver from Microsoft.


I am sorry but I have to say it: badge, you didn’t understand my problem. I don't have any problem with the USB controller in windows, and all the drivers on the motherboard cd are for windows. You see, there is no concept of driver outside the boundaries of a kernel, and the thing is I am even trying to load a kernel! This kernel can be windows or linux or minix or whatever.

I think that indeed this is a BIOS problem and I will try to contact people from Gigabyte to get some support. In any case, if any of you have found a solution in the mean time, it will be greatly appreciated!
August 27, 2006 11:53:14 PM

Quote:
I am sorry but I have to say it: badge, you didn’t understand my problem
.

You don't understand your problem.

Quote:
I don't have any problem with the USB controller in windows, and all the drivers on the motherboard cd are for windows.


So where are you going with this?

Quote:
You see, there is no concept of driver outside the boundaries of a kernel, and the thing is I am even trying to load a kernel!


I see you have been doing some reading. Exactly what, I'm not sure.

Quote:
This kernel can be windows or linux or minix or whatever.


That explains where the kernel can be. At least we found it.

Quote:
I think that indeed this is a BIOS problem and I will try to contact people from Gigabyte to get some support.


Be sure and mention you have no idea why your external dvd rom works perfect when windows is installed.:wink:

Quote:
In any case, if any of you have found a solution in the mean time, it will be greatly appreciated!


8O
August 28, 2006 2:47:56 AM

Quote:
Try this. Put your MB driver CD in another computer and try and open it. If you can go to DRIVERS. The USB drivers for your MB are on the MB CD. You will be instructed to get a USB driver from Microsoft.


I am sorry but I have to say it: badge, you didn’t understand my problem. I don't have any problem with the USB controller in windows, and all the drivers on the motherboard cd are for windows. You see, there is no concept of driver outside the boundaries of a kernel, and the thing is I am even trying to load a kernel! This kernel can be windows or linux or minix or whatever.

I think that indeed this is a BIOS problem and I will try to contact people from Gigabyte to get some support. In any case, if any of you have found a solution in the mean time, it will be greatly appreciated!

Trust me, this is NOT a BIOS problem. Here is a basic requirement you're overlooking.

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional

• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive
• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Note that there is no mention of a bootable USB device. Be mindful of the potential device compability issues relating to the creation date of your WIN installation CD. This is why the WIN install will search for updates very early in the installation.

You should understand that BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is simply what the name implies. It provides the very basic interface code to support a given feature, Just because it indicates USB support doesn't mean it provides supporting code for all possible USB attached devices. That's what device drivers are for and they can't load until the OS install begins, and depending on the OS creation date, the specific driver may not be present.

Do your self a favor, buy a cheap CD/ROM IDE drive and install it, so you meet the min. configuration requirements of Windows. Your problems will all go away and you won't need to RMA anything.
August 28, 2006 3:22:14 AM

Is really that hard for you two (badge and Jimw428) to understand that most current motherboards emulate mostly ANY Universal Mass Storage device connected to the USB hub to act just like an ide or sata controller does ???

And it happens that because the emulation code is stored in a PCI Option ROM module in the BIOS or even integrated as part of the BIOS core in some motherboards, is very likely that the actual issue has something to do with a buggy BIOS release or an incompatibility between the usb controller in the external enclosure and the emulation code in the bios.
August 28, 2006 4:01:13 AM

Nonsense! If the code is stored in a "PCI ROM" how does it get updated when necessary? (ROM=Read Only Memory) Admit it, you really don't understand how this works, do you?
August 28, 2006 4:17:53 AM

Quote:
Nonsense! If the code is stored in a "PCI ROM" how does it get updated when necessary? (ROM=Read Only Memory) Admit it, you really don't understand how this works, do you?


I knew it was going to confuse you :lol: 

PCI Option ROM, it's just a module name commonly used in AMIBIOSes to hold the pnp drivers for onboard devices like the Remote Network Boot via PXE, the RAID controller firmware and in some cases the USB Legacy Support too. They reside in the same EEPROM chip as the BIOS firmware does simply because they are part of it. I know what a ROM is you tool... I also said that in some bioses the code is written in the bios runtime core.


I really think you need to get yourself updated... BIOS firmwares aren't like they used to be anymore... and really these aren't news at all, not a new feature only found in AM2 and Core2Duo supporting motherboards.
August 28, 2006 2:27:51 PM

Just to clarify things: I am trying to install come Linux distributions that I have on DVDs, and not Windows.

Secondly, the boot sequence (that you actually set in BIOS) is not in any way affected by the OS. Furthermore, the bios actually detects the device. It prints Storage Device Detected: Plextor PX 740A 1.02. So in the end it is a BIOS problem (if not a problem generated by the device's firmware... It is the latest (1.02) but still...)

I already contacted Gigabyte and I am waiting for a reply. When I receive it I will post it here.
!