Sign in with
Your question

MY E6600 and P5W DH Deluxe OC Adventure on AIR alone

Last response: in Overclocking
August 26, 2006 6:18:51 PM

Hi guys,

Firstly I want to point out that I am noOB when it comes to Overclocking, but we all have to start somewhere at sometime. I set myself a target as a beginenr to see if I can achieve it with 24/7 stability and then move up from there. Everything I chose for my rig has its reasons and I have to say none of it has dissappointed me so far. This is what we are looking at so far:

E6600 @ 3.06 on Air 24/7 stable (max reached 3.4GHz not 100% stable)
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 @ 680MHZ (for stability)
ASUS 7900GT
Seagate 320G SATA II 16MB
2 x Pioneer 111D
SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Chemei 22" LCD
Gigabyte Aurora FSCA1 case
Thermaltake TP 600W PSU with 120mm fan
Logitech X530 Speakers

Cooling:
3 x 120mm fans and Heatsink - Blue Orb 2

Current Settings:
FSB: 340, Dram Frequency: 680MHz
vCore: 1.35v, MCH: 1.55v, PCIe: Auto,
PCI: Auto, ICH: Auto

Temperatures:
idle: CPU 25C, MB: 42C
Load: CPU 27C, MB: 43C

Firstly for someone who had no ideas OCing, it was not hard, a bit of trial and error with things I thought had the greatest impact and then lots of holding breath. For those of you beginning like me, I concentrated on the FSB, vCore and temperatures. From teh above figures, I think I was right about teh Blue Orb and so far even though I did go to 3.4GHz, the temperature of CPU never once went over 28*C, and motherboard hardly moved off 43*C (I wonder if there is a way to type that little degree circle, anyhow).

SUPERPi results for 32M with above 3.06GHz was 17m 55s. SUPERPi 1M was 17.438s.

at 3.4GHz I got 16.297s for SUPERPi 1M, but I could not get it going for SUPERPi 32M. I am trying to get things stable still. I have much to learn about memory timings, I have no idea how they work, any information would be appreciated. I want to calculate things so its 1:1, as it seems to give better performance.

Please share what you have been doing with your gadget, and I will keep this post update as I make progress. From teh temperatures and teh fact so many things are still on Auto, there is much more room, even on air alone, to be achieved. :wink:
August 29, 2006 3:59:28 AM

huh sounds very cool :D  though i too know nothing about ram... so ill be listening to what other people say :p 
August 29, 2006 5:42:47 AM

For those who don't know [about Conroe's thermal properties], I present the following from CPU magazine, September 2006, page 34:

Quote:
We had a bad-ass water cooling kit from Danger Den locked and loaded for DM11, but the fact of the matter is, Conroe doesn't need water-cooling- it just doesn't get that hot. Instead, we went with Zalman's CNPS9500 LED heatsink, which keeps our Conroe chip shilly at all times, whether idle or under load.

Wazzat? You heard right: Using this cooler, we were unable to get the Conroe's temp to increase one iota under load. Incredible, no? Well dig this: We eventually unplugged the CPU fan and ran the processor at 100 percent load via Nero Recode, and the CPU temperature rose only three degrees Celsius. We repeat: We encoded an entire DVD, with both CPU cores at 100 percent, and with the CPU fan unplugged, and the machine ran stably for hours. Conroe's thermal performance is incredible, to say the least.

Now I've always liked AMD because I remember building PC's back in the 80s/90s when Intel was basically the only game in town and they charged out the wazzoo for their chips.

Now, I don't play games at all. I don't do hardcore music or video editing. I don't play DVDs on my PC (that's why I have a gazillion dollar setup in my living room :D  ).

My thing is writing code (and please don't ask or else someone will have to kill ya!). Personally, I get by [but more often, just barely] with an old Socket A Thunderbird (OC'd (haha) from 1.2GHz to 1.33GHz), 512MB PC2100, and an ATA 133 HDD (connected to a friggin' ATA 100 interface!).

Anyhow, I was planning on using this turbulant time of price drops in AMD's CPU line to build a more robust system, based either on AM2 or s939. However, given the benchmark scores, price vs. performance, and now this information on Conroe's thermal properties, I really don't think I have a choice but to go Conroe (though I'll still be cursing Intel for old times sake).
Related resources
August 29, 2006 12:03:17 PM

Ok Guys,

I have noticed something. I recently put the following information on Anandtech, and realised people were upset at me for the reason that ive only come to realise, my temperature readings are apparently too good to be true, but I can assure you I am not a liar and this information is correct. Have a read:

On Anandtech I got called a liar basically by someone so I thought I would get your opions here on it.

"Ummmmmmmmmm, I am not sure about the readings for temps people are getting, some seem a little high for moderate OCs. Here is my setup and temperature readings: I dont have a program to read each core though, I mainly use Pc Probe 2 and speedfan.

E6600 @ 2.88 on Air, Prime95 and Orthos beta 24 hours burn in, Superpi 32k 17m55s.
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, 1101 Bios
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 @ 800MHz
ASUS 7900GT
Seagate 320G SATA II 16MB
2 x Pioneer 111D
SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Chemei 22" LCD
Gigabyte Aurora FSCA1 case
Thermaltake TP 600W PSU with 120mm fan
Logitech X530 Speakers

Cooling:
3 x 120mm fans and Blue Orb 2

Current Settings:
FSB: 320, Dram Frequency: 800MHz
vCore: 1.37v, MCH: 1.65v, PCIe: Auto,
PCI: Auto, ICH: Auto

Temperatures:

Room Temperature approximately 20-22C

idle: CPU 21C, MOBO: 42C
Load: CPU 33C, MOBO: 43C

The load temperature with Prime95 was around 27C but Orthos beta took it up to 33C.

Forgot to mention, I went as high as 3.4GHz, but it was not all stable but temp reading we still under 35C on Load, probably a little more vCore may do the trick and that may account for around 40-43C."

ok further to this I then used CoreTemp and managed to get idle readings on the CPU Core 1 and 2, which were 39 and 36C respectively. Since the above post, I have had the computer on for 3 days straight. TOday the weather was much warmer and my room was around 25C, tested using Orthos since it created the highest temperatures and it went up to 36C on LOAD but never higher.

So the Highest reading for teh CPU I have had are:

Idle: 22C
Load: 36C (using orthos, with Prime95 it only goes up to 29C)

here is a picture which shows the idle temperatures of this morning, the pc had been on for 2 and half days at this stage.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4457/tempsps0.jpg"

BTW The above picture is simply for idle temperatures, but from that you can see the load temperature readings are about right.

Anyone else have similar readings?
August 29, 2006 12:42:01 PM

Quote:
the temperature of CPU never once went over 28*C, and motherboard hardly moved off 43*C (I wonder if there is a way to type that little degree circle, anyhow).

I don't know much about overclocking but I do know how to make the little degree circle :lol:  A couple of ways actually....

first way is by memorization. Press and hold the "alt" key, then press the number keys in this order "0" "1" "7" "6", then let go of the "alt" key. Also can be written as Alt+0176.

second way is by looking it up. Goto Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map. Select the font that you are using, usually Arial or Times New Roman. Click on the character you want, ie Degree Sign, hit Select and Copy, then Paste into your document. It also shows the keystroke (in the bottom right of the character map window) if you want to memorize it for later.

hoot, have fun with your power house pc, and add some more of those 320gb segates in matrix raid
August 29, 2006 3:02:28 PM

Quote:
The only temperature guage I trust is how high the processor can reach stable under load.
Every motherboard have their sensor calibrated differently. Having a high/low temperature makes no difference.
Your E6600 should be capable of at least 3Ghz.

Wusy, matey you are definately right. What difference I guess it makes if I dont have a stable overclock. I read your guide, and its a great help.

On air what should be the maximum temperature, a threshold so I dont exceed the "safe" zone?

And btw in your guide under Part 2 memory you state:

"1. Set 'DRAM Timing' to manual or disable SPD (use SPD for P5W DH)"

Does that mean for P5W DH I should leave SPD on? or should I change it to manual and as per further instructions change the timings? For my memory I think its 4-4-4-12.

Thanks for your help.
August 29, 2006 3:11:59 PM

Quote:
the temperature of CPU never once went over 28*C, and motherboard hardly moved off 43*C (I wonder if there is a way to type that little degree circle, anyhow).

I don't know much about overclocking but I do know how to make the little degree circle :lol:  A couple of ways actually....

first way is by memorization. Press and hold the "alt" key, then press the number keys in this order "0" "1" "7" "6", then let go of the "alt" key. Also can be written as Alt+0176.

second way is by looking it up. Goto Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map. Select the font that you are using, usually Arial or Times New Roman. Click on the character you want, ie Degree Sign, hit Select and Copy, then Paste into your document. It also shows the keystroke (in the bottom right of the character map window) if you want to memorize it for later.

hoot, have fun with your power house pc, and add some more of those 320gb segates in matrix raid

Branson,

Who needs knowledge of overclocking when you know things like this! :wink:
August 29, 2006 3:18:30 PM

Quote:
On air what should be the maximum temperature, a threshold so I dont exceed the "safe" zone?

85C if you use Core Temp, but you'll never reach it when overclocking because your PC would've crashed long before you reach that temperature. :lol: 

Quote:
Does that mean for P5W DH I should leave SPD on? or should I change it to manual and as per further instructions change the timings? For my memory I think its 4-4-4-12.

Use SPD and there's a reason behind it. There's loads of other things I'll need to add into the memory section this weekend along with other sections.

It's ~40% complete by my standard and I'll keep updating it every weekend until I feel it's complete. :) 

Thanks Wusy, I am sure like myself everyone appreciate all your assistance, not to mention I am actually learning a couple of things. I better not speak to loudly wusy, who would of thought a New Zealander teaching to an Aussie, who is actually listening :D .
August 30, 2006 11:10:27 AM

talaash, i believe that your CPU can be running at around 25 degrees, seeing that your Fan1 on that screenshot is running at like 26,000 RPM.....
August 30, 2006 7:41:57 PM

Quote:
talaash, i believe that your CPU can be running at around 25 degrees, seeing that your Fan1 on that screenshot is running at like 26,000 RPM.....

I wish I had a fan like that :) . But i am not sure what speedfan is measuring there, I have three 120mm fans all connected it seems via the one power point, listed in that screen shot as Chassis2 in PC Probe II, the green print above speedfan and the CPU fan.

On Speedfan, the same two fans are listed as CPU0 and Aux1.

I wonder why the motherboard temperatures are reported so high though, normally an asus motherboard runs at around 22-25'C idle on standard settings.
September 3, 2006 10:07:11 AM

Pls try Prime95 and see if it's really stable.
September 3, 2006 11:30:11 AM

Quote:
Pls try Prime95 and see if it's really stable.

When I uploaded the results in the first post, the system is 100% stable 24/7. I ran prime95 and orthos beta, tried each for a period of 12 hours. Amazingly, to my surprise at least, according to speedfan and PC probe II CPU temperatures went only as high as 35'C, and motherboard temperature 46'C. This was under orthos beta, Prime95 didnt seem to push the system to any extreme. Not a single problem detected, ran memtest for about 4 hours, and no errors on that front either.

After reading wusy's excellent tutorial regarding conroe overclocking, I mananged to take the system up to 3.4Ghz, but as I need the system, I have not been able to reliably test it yet. I will post results for that as soon as I get a chance and don't have need for the computer for personal use.
September 7, 2006 6:39:16 PM

Hi Guys,

Some updates. I upgraded to bios 1305, and it seems to add a few more features to the mobo, fsb is no unlocked to 550, wheras I am pretty sure previously it was only to about 450 or something along the lines of that. SO theoretically on the E6600 we could go as high as 4950MHz. I doubt most of us will get anywhere near that, but perhaps it will enable a more stable OC at the lower fsb.

Currently, I have the system running very stable at 3.06GHz. SO another small step forward, but amazingly I am still getting very low tem readings. mobo around 45'C and CPU 36'C. Thats with prime95 running for some 4 hours. But how do you run prime95 in two sessions? I can only open it once?

1305 seems to make teh system more stable somehow. I have noticed the Qfan option now does not reduce fan speed by much, where as before it would reduce dramatically the speed of fans, and a lot of people were complaining of hotter temperatures. I found that out by accident, normally I have it shut off during OC, but I forgot to turn it off and the system was very stable nevertheless.
!