So, which PSU are all the cool kids using nowadays?

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
try ultra or kingwin, they both make many modular PSU's.
or try the OCZ modstream.

Only problem with modular PSU's, unfortunately, is that they dont make the best PSU lists, but just look better than others.

sailer

Splendid
Looks good to me. Since you're going modular, the only other alternative that I can think of at the moment is Enermax, though I'm sure others have modulars available.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
If you want to be gross - I mean really excessive - get the Enermax Galaxy. It's a 1000 watt PSU that has five 12v rails and is modular. I've ordered one for my system.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Ew... Ultra. The ony thing they're good for is a free backup PSU in case one of yours dies.

Those supplys suck...it is hit-mis if you get one that works.

I used to only use Antec but even those do not hold up with regulation the way I want.

Now I only use PC P&C....best supply made....I run a 1Ghz OC on all my Optron 146 and 148 and never have to raise any volts.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I personaly use a FSP Epsilon and its an amazing little PSU and by little I mean 600 or 700w depending on which one you buy. 4 12v rails, long loomed cables. Nice blue case. Rock solid voltages, oh yeah and it bested THG's PSU stress test and got an honorable mention if I remember correctly. It is no PC PSU tht will run you $450 for 1000w, but at around $150 for 600w and $175 for 700w, its a better value.

Wish I had a second one for my older Northwood rig acctually. And also, no its not modular ... just learn to hide cables :lol:

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I'm liking the look of the Hiper Type-R 580W, come in a variety of shiny colors, it's modular, has APFC, and I've had some others recommend it to me. I'm planning to splurge on one for my upcomming E6600 build*.

*Yes, like so many others, I too will do a E6600 build. That's really what brought me here, as I haven't done a proper build in more than 5 years, instead just doing upgrades and servicing.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I use the BFG Tech 650Watt PSU... Good looks, quiet, and plenty of power. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. It doesnt have the modular cabling, but anyone thats good with a few zipties can easily make non-modular powersupplies look just as clean. Just get some colored cable tube and it'll look even better. I did have an Antec NEO 550 before trading this in when it came out.

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
It would help if you posted what case you will use...

PC P&C are the best supplies but with a hefty price tag.

The Hiper have improved but are not considered on par with the best.
If you have your heart set on it, there is a new 730W version coming out. Not sure it would work with your case though.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Like ZoldDude said... PC Power and Cooling are the best... but if you're going modular I'd only say Enermax. They're essentially at the same efficiency as PC Power and Cooling. The only difference is that PC Power and Cooling is about as tough as they get and when they say 1kW they mean it...

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I personaly use a FSP Epsilon and its an amazing little PSU and by little I mean 600 or 700w depending on which one you buy. 4 12v rails, long loomed cables. Nice blue case. Rock solid voltages, oh yeah and it bested THG's PSU stress test and got an honorable mention if I remember correctly. It is no PC PSU tht will run you $450 for 1000w, but at around $150 for 600w and $175 for 700w, its a better value.

Wish I had a second one for my older Northwood rig acctually. And also, no its not modular ... just learn to hide cables :lol:

FSP are nice and solid.
It is just that I have been getting the same OC's but at stock volts when I went over to PC P&C...what they say about them is true (most of all when it comes to the price). Not raiseing the volts on my Optron builds also does not raise the temps (146's with 1Ghz OC and 1C over stock temps).
The 510's run almost everything but if I had drives to fill the Stacker I would just use a 2nd 510 rather than a 1KW on a new build less $ and more amps.

The thing to remember is that PC P&C is rateing the units output at TWICE the temps of all other companys. Two 510's will give you 68 amps @ 12 volts constant with a loooong surge @ 72 amps.

I get the 510's dirrect from PC P&C in California and save alot of cash. Just call and talk to a tech first and buy dirrect rather than online....they will cut you a deal on even just 1 unit.

modular ... just learn to hide cables

Going high power and modular is really asking for a computer to fail...and as Murphy would say " at the worst possible time"

I see you also use DFI...smart move! :wink:

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I got an Enermax Liberty 500 to fit in my Antec P180.

I liked the modularness, and the fact that the cable length was more than sufficient for this case. I don't like the way they stuck molex connectors right next to SATA ones. Because of that I ended up needing one more cable than I think I should have. But then again they might work fine in a case that doesn't put the PSU on the bottom.

But it runs very quiet and cool, and is powering 4 hard drives, an ATI 1900xt and an e6400 without a prob...Of course I haven't managed to stress all components at the same time yet either ;).

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Like ZoldDude said... PC Power and Cooling are the best... but if you're going modular I'd only say Enermax. They're essentially at the same efficiency as PC Power and Cooling. The only difference is that PC Power and Cooling is about as tough as they get and when they say 1kW they mean it...

Here is what you need to remember.

All companys "rate" the units output/regulation/ect at 25C UNIT temp (thats only about 77 1/2 F for those who don't use C).

If you feel warm air comming out of your PSU then it's temps have already passed it's rateings!

This is the reason people raise voltages when OC'ing....the regulation goes "off" on the PSU.

As electronic parts raise 10C above the rated temps the units LIFESPAN (TV/PSU/whatever) shortains about 50%.

PC P&C rate at 50C or double the temps of all other companys.
A "510" from them is ever so much better than others rated/marked as 600+ watts.
After haveing two Antec 550's fail and take out the MB's with them I went to PC P&C.

After years of Asus MB's failing in under 3 years (bad caps) I moved to DFI.

Both move made me a happy gamer.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

Here is what you need to remember.

All companys "rate" the units output/regulation/ect at 25C UNIT temp (thats only about 77 1/2 F for those who don't use C).

I think you'll find that the NeoHE line from Antec is rated at 50 degrees C

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Took 3 years to kill your ASUS board caps? I killed a DFI LP Expert in under 3 months. Beat that! lol. Also killed a CFX3200 BIOS ROM chip. DFI and I have issues sort of, but we are working on them.

I am really wondering about the whole getting the same OC but at stock voltage with PC P&C PSU's, just seems very odd. I know PC P&C are slightly better PSU's when compared with FSP, but just never heard that before. Hmmm.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I notice he also seems to have an awful lot of component failures. When you have so many component failures it can sometimes be environmental and not the components fault.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
It maybe, but I am used to shit malfuntioning around me. It is as if I were a magnet or something. Electronics just die around me, I must be the grim Reaper of computers lol. Of course this is why they invented warranties.

I am still wondering how I blew a cap on my Expert board, because it had very adequate cooling (liquid + fans), or if it was just a defective cap.