The second most unfair gameplay feature

With an advanced character, I enchanted a helmet I found on a table in
Ghostgate and happened to wear it in front of an ordinator in Vivec, and
*for the rest of the game* I was defending myself from,or trying to avoid,
ordinators.

The unfairness of their bullying is because (1) No NPC in any place, at any
time, *ever* warns you not to wear one! And (2) if you're playing on an
X-Box, like me, there is *nothing* you can do to turn them off. Apart from
starting a new game with a new character, which I eventually did.

In fact I searched everywhere for some NPC to tell me what I had done wrong,
and no-one ever told me! I was lucky I had a computer, so I could find out
from others on line, otherwise I still wouldn't know to this day why they
were attacking me throughout the game! It's the second most unfair event in
the game! (The worst one being the constant freezing of the game by faulty
programming, and being told it's your fault by the error message which
pretends that you must have scratched or dirtied your gamedisc.)

Somebody please stop the programmers from doing any more work on Oblivion
until they take a course in programming and learn how to avoid the constant
freezes!
9 answers Last reply
More about unfair gameplay feature

    "The Appalling Silence" <appsil@myway.com> wrote in

    > Somebody please stop the programmers from doing any more work on
    > Oblivion until they take a course in programming and learn how to
    > avoid the constant freezes!

    Try playing with music off.
    I'm playing with 200+ mods and the game very rarely crashes now. When it
    does it's usually after having played several hours.

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 04:57:01 +1000, "The Appalling Silence"
    <appsil@myway.com> wrote:

    >With an advanced character, I enchanted a helmet I found on a table in
    >Ghostgate and happened to wear it in front of an ordinator in Vivec, and
    >*for the rest of the game* I was defending myself from,or trying to avoid,
    >ordinators.
    >
    >The unfairness of their bullying is because (1) No NPC in any place, at any
    >time, *ever* warns you not to wear one!

    If you do a quest in Vivec that rewards you with the option of a magical
    belt or Indoril Armour, and you choose the armour, you are warned not to
    wear it in Vivec because it is considered sacred by the Ordinators.

    > And (2) if you're playing on an
    >X-Box, like me, there is *nothing* you can do to turn them off.

    There's nothing in-game to turn it off on the pc either, unless you
    cheat. Personally, I'd rather reload when my character makes a really
    bad decision than fix it with the console.

    The Appalling Silence wrote:
    > With an advanced character, I enchanted a helmet I found on a table in
    > Ghostgate and happened to wear it in front of an ordinator in Vivec, and
    > *for the rest of the game* I was defending myself from,or trying to avoid,
    > ordinators.
    >
    > The unfairness of their bullying is because (1) No NPC in any place, at any
    > time, *ever* warns you not to wear one! And (2) if you're playing on an
    > X-Box, like me, there is *nothing* you can do to turn them off. Apart from
    > starting a new game with a new character, which I eventually did.
    >
    > In fact I searched everywhere for some NPC to tell me what I had done wrong,
    > and no-one ever told me! I was lucky I had a computer, so I could find out
    > from others on line, otherwise I still wouldn't know to this day why they
    > were attacking me throughout the game! It's the second most unfair event in
    > the game! (The worst one being the constant freezing of the game by faulty
    > programming, and being told it's your fault by the error message which
    > pretends that you must have scratched or dirtied your gamedisc.)
    >
    > Somebody please stop the programmers from doing any more work on Oblivion
    > until they take a course in programming and learn how to avoid the constant
    > freezes!

    Why would they want to make a game that doesn't crash or have other
    bugs? They have been doing it this way since Arena.

    The Appalling Silence wrote:
    > With an advanced character, I enchanted a helmet I found on a table in
    > Ghostgate and happened to wear it in front of an ordinator in Vivec, and
    > *for the rest of the game* I was defending myself from,or trying to avoid,
    > ordinators.
    >
    > The unfairness of their bullying is because (1) No NPC in any place, at any
    > time, *ever* warns you not to wear one! And (2) if you're playing on an
    > X-Box, like me, there is *nothing* you can do to turn them off. Apart from
    > starting a new game with a new character, which I eventually did.
    >
    > In fact I searched everywhere for some NPC to tell me what I had done wrong,
    > and no-one ever told me! I was lucky I had a computer, so I could find out
    > from others on line, otherwise I still wouldn't know to this day why they
    > were attacking me throughout the game! It's the second most unfair event in
    > the game! (The worst one being the constant freezing of the game by faulty
    > programming, and being told it's your fault by the error message which
    > pretends that you must have scratched or dirtied your gamedisc.)
    >
    > Somebody please stop the programmers from doing any more work on Oblivion
    > until they take a course in programming and learn how to avoid the constant
    > freezes!

    Why not...uh...reload the game after the Ordinator attacked you?

    I have absolutely no problems with it crashing. It's the most stable
    Elder Scrolls game yet. If you have a computer, why not play it on that
    the way Elder Scrolls games are meant to be played?

    I consider it part of the game "realism". But then, I have played
    so many characters that having one handicapped is not a big
    deal. If you picked up a valuable helm (stole?), it is not
    surprising that someone got upset. In my current game, I am
    constantly set upon by a subset of the Hlaalu guards because
    I got caught stealing Sword of White Woe for a mod quest.
    Although I Almisivie-Interventioned away and managed to clear
    my name by paying bounty at the Thieves guild, there are still
    some guards that seem to take the theft personally.

    But some of us (like me) didn't find out that the reason we're being
    attacked until several days later, and at that point, saved games that could
    have been used were over-written. While it's cool to have ramifications on
    your actions (i.e. kill a character in the game, then find out later that
    you needed to talk to him), not being able to walk around in a town just
    because you put on a hat is kind of lame.

    Clint

    "J. W. McCall" <jmccall@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
    > The Appalling Silence wrote:
    > > With an advanced character, I enchanted a helmet I found on a table in
    > > Ghostgate and happened to wear it in front of an ordinator in Vivec, and
    > > *for the rest of the game* I was defending myself from,or trying to
    avoid,
    > > ordinators.
    > >
    > > The unfairness of their bullying is because (1) No NPC in any place, at
    any
    > > time, *ever* warns you not to wear one! And (2) if you're playing on an
    > > X-Box, like me, there is *nothing* you can do to turn them off. Apart
    from
    > > starting a new game with a new character, which I eventually did.
    > >
    > > In fact I searched everywhere for some NPC to tell me what I had done
    wrong,
    > > and no-one ever told me! I was lucky I had a computer, so I could find
    out
    > > from others on line, otherwise I still wouldn't know to this day why
    they
    > > were attacking me throughout the game! It's the second most unfair event
    in
    > > the game! (The worst one being the constant freezing of the game by
    faulty
    > > programming, and being told it's your fault by the error message which
    > > pretends that you must have scratched or dirtied your gamedisc.)
    > >
    > > Somebody please stop the programmers from doing any more work on
    Oblivion
    > > until they take a course in programming and learn how to avoid the
    constant
    > > freezes!
    >
    > Why not...uh...reload the game after the Ordinator attacked you?
    >
    > I have absolutely no problems with it crashing. It's the most stable
    > Elder Scrolls game yet. If you have a computer, why not play it on that
    > the way Elder Scrolls games are meant to be played?

    Are you telling me that even the XBOX "crashes to desktop"? That is very
    sad.

    Simmie Simmerson wrote:
    > Are you telling me that even the XBOX "crashes to desktop"? That is
    > very sad.

    Of course it bloody does........its M$ after all!

    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    ....why, other guards, of course!

    In article <AoAxe.86991$Vj3.54293@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
    spam@spamme.com says...
    > Simmie Simmerson wrote:
    > > Are you telling me that even the XBOX "crashes to desktop"? That is
    > > very sad.
    >
    > Of course it bloody does........its M$ after all!

    All you have to do is, you unplug it, you get up and close the window,
    then you open the window again and switch it back on. If you're lucky,
    it'll work again! It's an old trick that was passed on to my by a wise
    old Microsoft systems engineer who has given up his share options and
    retreated to a mountaintop cave in the Himalayas ...

    -P.

Games Video Games