Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading- will the power supply be sufficient?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Power Supplies
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2006 7:06:38 PM

Hi,

I'm upgrading my 2800+ Barton to a 3200+ Venice. My question is if the 300w power supply will be sufficient. I will be using an Radeon 9600 pro AGP at stock speeds, 1GB of Corsair RAM, one DVD burner, two S-ATA HDs and 4 80mm case fans. I will hardly ever be using this system for gaming and only moderately overclock the CPU as I already have a dual core notebook for gaming. The combined (3.3v + 12v rails) power of the PSU is 120W. Will this be enough to be stable? I had this PSU for over 6 months running on exactly the same config minus the new motherboard and CPU and it ran fine.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I'm also looking for an m-ATX, socket 939, AGP mainboard for another computer.

More about : upgrading power supply sufficient

August 26, 2006 7:50:56 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I'm upgrading my 2800+ Barton to a 3200+ Venice. My question is if the 300w power supply will be sufficient. I will be using an Radeon 9600 pro AGP at stock speeds, 1GB of Corsair RAM, one DVD burner, two S-ATA HDs and 4 80mm case fans. I will hardly ever be using this system for gaming and only moderately overclock the CPU as I already have a dual core notebook for gaming. The combined (3.3v + 12v rails) power of the PSU is 120W. Will this be enough to be stable? I had this PSU for over 6 months running on exactly the same config minus the new motherboard and CPU and it ran fine.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I'm also looking for an m-ATX, socket 939, AGP mainboard for another computer.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

you also need to take into account the quality of the PSU and its age. I would most likely takeout $30 for a decent PSU just to save hassle.
August 26, 2006 8:16:19 PM

even better, buy a new case that comes with a cheap 350w psu
Related resources
August 26, 2006 8:20:23 PM

Hi,

I only bought this power suppy about 4 months ago as a replacement for an older one that blew. It is an Aopen, which in my book is a decent brand. I really don't want to replace this unless it's absolutely necessary.
August 26, 2006 8:33:20 PM

the 3200 uses less power than th 2800 barton core
the psu should work fine
that is one thing to think about
!