Upgrading- will the power supply be sufficient?

Hi,

I'm upgrading my 2800+ Barton to a 3200+ Venice. My question is if the 300w power supply will be sufficient. I will be using an Radeon 9600 pro AGP at stock speeds, 1GB of Corsair RAM, one DVD burner, two S-ATA HDs and 4 80mm case fans. I will hardly ever be using this system for gaming and only moderately overclock the CPU as I already have a dual core notebook for gaming. The combined (3.3v + 12v rails) power of the PSU is 120W. Will this be enough to be stable? I had this PSU for over 6 months running on exactly the same config minus the new motherboard and CPU and it ran fine.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I'm also looking for an m-ATX, socket 939, AGP mainboard for another computer.
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrading power supply sufficient
  1. Quote:
    Hi,

I'm upgrading my 2800+ Barton to a 3200+ Venice. My question is if the 300w power supply will be sufficient. I will be using an Radeon 9600 pro AGP at stock speeds, 1GB of Corsair RAM, one DVD burner, two S-ATA HDs and 4 80mm case fans. I will hardly ever be using this system for gaming and only moderately overclock the CPU as I already have a dual core notebook for gaming. The combined (3.3v + 12v rails) power of the PSU is 120W. Will this be enough to be stable? I had this PSU for over 6 months running on exactly the same config minus the new motherboard and CPU and it ran fine.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I'm also looking for an m-ATX, socket 939, AGP mainboard for another computer.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

you also need to take into account the quality of the PSU and its age. I would most likely takeout $30 for a decent PSU just to save hassle.
  2. even better, buy a new case that comes with a cheap 350w psu
  3. Hi,

I only bought this power suppy about 4 months ago as a replacement for an older one that blew. It is an Aopen, which in my book is a decent brand. I really don't want to replace this unless it's absolutely necessary.
  4. the 3200 uses less power than th 2800 barton core
    the psu should work fine
    that is one thing to think about
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Power Supplies Systems