Win2000 drive letter assignment problem

Hi!

Has someone been facing this same problem than me for a
few hours ago today?

To upgrade my system disk, first I did copy all the
contents of my 80GB system disk C:\, with all OS files
etc., to another newly formatted 120GB disk at E:\, booted
from another 80GB disk at D:\, where I also do have a full
Win2000 OS copy from the C:\. The C:\ drive was
primary/master, the E:\ primary/slave and the D:\
secondary/master. So, the Win2000 was got/loaded from D:\
and the needed programs from C:\.

Everything went well until the new boot-ups, on which the
drive letter assigments were playing with me "cat and
mouse", i.e. when trying to boot from pri/mas the letter
C: was assigned to pri/sla drive, and when from pri/sla
the C:\ was assigned to pri/mas. I did try this tens of
times, trying also to change the letters manually, which
regarding C:\ seems to be impossible, but without any
success.

As a temporary solution this time so far, I stayed on the
status booting from D:\, obtaining the programs from C:\,
whichever of the two pri drives it ever may be, as they
both also do have the same full Win2000 and all programs
loaded on, so, in this sense all the 3 drives are
identical.

So, is there maybe some bug on the BIOS or Win2000 on
booting-up, which I have still not got update on, or, have
I done something wrongly on the drive copying procedure,
or, do the 3 identical OS/program disks somehow conflict
with each other? I may give some more details on the
configurations etc., if needed/interested.

Thanks in advance for any hints!

Best regards,

Pete V.

Hi!

Yes, something still came in my mind.

When booting from the sec/sla D:\, it's always booted from
drive with the assigned letter D:\, why not changed into
C:\ in this case, as the booting drive mostly will be
given C:\? Is this particular drive somehow fixed to the
letter D:\? Previously during some years until now, the
booting drive was always the 80 GB pri/mas with letter
C:\, no doubt, which drive was now supposed to be upgraded
to a 120 GB disk, but the drives D:\ and E:\ sometimes got
exchanged their letters, why this?

So, is there somewhere a parameter fixing the drive
letters somehow in some case, or is it "dynamic" so, that
the booting drive should always get the C:\, regardless of
it's position on pri/sec channels, and then after that the
others D:\ and E:\ and so on in some order, e.g. pri/mas,
pri/sla, sec/mas, sec/sla, USB's, Firewires etc. etc.?

Regards,

Pete V.

PeteV

See if these MS Knowledge Base articles can help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=234048

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223188

Best regards

Bjorn