Diskpart Basic Disk extended volume on RAID 5

I carefully followed the intructions to expand a RAID 5 volume on a basic disk according to KB Article 325590. The extend operation reported that it failed to extend the volume, however, after further examination, I now have the following scenario:

Disk Management shows the volume as healthy with a size of 333 GB, and dispart also reports a size of 333 Gb. This is the size the volume should be after being extended. However, the properties page still shows the disk volume at is original capacity (127 Gb) and original amount of free space. A chkdsk has been run on the volume without any errors or change.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this, short of backing up, recreating the partition and restoring the data?

Thanks in advance

Rick
4 answers Last reply
More about diskpart basic disk extended volume raid

    Rick

    Is SP4 installed? Your situation seems to be the one described in this MS
    Knowledge Base article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329826

    Perhaps MS PSS have an idea to solve the problem from there.

    Best regards

    Bjorn

    "Rick Gummerson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I carefully followed the intructions to expand a RAID 5 volume on a basic disk according to KB Article 325590. The extend operation reported that it failed to extend the volume, however, after further examination, I now have the following scenario:
    >
    >Disk Management shows the volume as healthy with a size of 333 GB, and dispart also reports a size of 333 Gb. This is the size the volume should be after being extended. However, the properties page still shows the disk volume at is original capacity (127 Gb) and original amount of free space. A chkdsk has been run on the volume without any errors or change.
    >
    >Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this, short of backing up, recreating the partition and restoring the data?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Rick

    Yes we are running w2k sp4

    ----- Bjorn Landemoo wrote: -----

    Rick

    Is SP4 installed? Your situation seems to be the one described in this MS
    Knowledge Base article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329826

    Perhaps MS PSS have an idea to solve the problem from there.

    Best regards

    Bjorn

    "Rick Gummerson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I carefully followed the intructions to expand a RAID 5 volume on a basic disk according to KB Article 325590. The extend operation reported that it failed to extend the volume, however, after further examination, I now have the following scenario:
    >>Disk Management shows the volume as healthy with a size of 333 GB, and dispart also reports a size of 333 Gb. This is the size the volume should be after being extended. However, the properties page still shows the disk volume at is original capacity (127 Gb) and original amount of free space. A chkdsk has been run on the volume without any errors or change.
    >>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this, short of backing up, recreating the partition and restoring the data?
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>Rick
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hello Rick,

    What is happening here is that the partition is being resized but the file
    system isn't expanding to fill the new size. Give us a call and request the
    'FSEXTEND' tool. FSEXTEND will increase the size of the file system so the
    MFT knows to use all of the new partition size.

    --
    Robert Mitchell
    Windows NT4&2000 MCSE

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!
    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.

    "Rick Gummerson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I carefully followed the intructions to expand a RAID 5 volume on a basic
    disk according to KB Article 325590. The extend operation reported that it
    failed to extend the volume, however, after further examination, I now have
    the following scenario:

    > Disk Management shows the volume as healthy with a size of 333 GB, and
    dispart also reports a size of 333 Gb. This is the size the volume should be
    after being extended. However, the properties page still shows the disk
    volume at is original capacity (127 Gb) and original amount of free space. A
    chkdsk has been run on the volume without any errors or change.

    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this, short of backing up,
    recreating the partition and restoring the data?

    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Rick
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Rick, did you manage to get hold of the FSEXTEND tool? Did it work? I've
    tried to get hold of this from Microsoft, but they told me that I can't
    get it unless there is a specific KB article about it!!??

    Stuart.

    --
    stuartm

NAS / RAID Basic Windows