Managing multiple wireless access points?

As I understand it, if I want to use wireless on a floor of a building
with lift-shafts (elevator-shafts?) and the like I will need more than
one access-point. I will want to use MAC address filtering, WPA,
etc. but when a vistor comes I only want to change one configuration
to add a MAC address, not six! Is there a way of doing this and is it
reasonably cost-effective?

Thanks

John

In article <vnd5xvjelj.fsf@kenny.ex.ac.uk>,
John Rowe <rowe@excc.ex.ac.uk> wrote:
:As I understand it, if I want to use wireless on a floor of a building
:with lift-shafts (elevator-shafts?) and the like I will need more than
:eek:ne access-point. I will want to use MAC address filtering, WPA,
:etc. but when a vistor comes I only want to change one configuration
:to add a MAC address, not six! Is there a way of doing this and is it
:reasonably cost-effective?

If your visitor is capable of using IEEE 802.1x authentication
then you could handle it by just configuring a RADIUS server
I believe.

You don't -always- need to use multiple APs in a situation like yours,
but lift shafts do tend to be metal and so do tend to shield
the signal.

Depending on the exact layout of your area and what the other
obstructions were, there is a -possibility- that you might
be able to get away with as few as two APs. If the area is
square and the lift-shaft is in the center, then you could potentially
put omni-directional antennae on them and position them sort of like
this:

|----------------|
| |
| o |
| +--+ |
| | | |
| +--+ |
| o |
| |
|----------------|

If the proportions are right, then each omni would cover about half
way to the other, and there is no lift-shaft shadow because there
is an omni with a clear view of two sides of the shaft.

This isn't going to work in all cases, of course -- it would depend
a lot on what else was around.
--
I don't know if there's destiny,
but there's a decision! -- Wim Wenders (WoD)

John Rowe wrote:
> As I understand it, if I want to use wireless on a floor of a building
> with lift-shafts (elevator-shafts?) and the like I will need more than
> one access-point. I will want to use MAC address filtering, WPA,
> etc. but when a vistor comes I only want to change one configuration
> to add a MAC address, not six! Is there a way of doing this and is it
> reasonably cost-effective?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Sonicwall makes some (rather expensive IMO) access points that can be
managed centrally from their firewall products. However you must have
one of their firewalls to be able to manage them. Their firewalls start
at about $750 or so for the lower end (on up to $10k for the high end
ones) and the access points are about $500-$600 each.