Managing multiple wireless access points?

As I understand it, if I want to use wireless on a floor of a building
with lift-shafts (elevator-shafts?) and the like I will need more than
one access-point. I will want to use MAC address filtering, WPA,
etc. but when a vistor comes I only want to change one configuration
to add a MAC address, not six! Is there a way of doing this and is it
reasonably cost-effective?

Thanks

John
2 answers Last reply
More about managing multiple wireless access points

    In article <vnd5xvjelj.fsf@kenny.ex.ac.uk>,
    John Rowe <rowe@excc.ex.ac.uk> wrote:
    :As I understand it, if I want to use wireless on a floor of a building
    :with lift-shafts (elevator-shafts?) and the like I will need more than
    :one access-point. I will want to use MAC address filtering, WPA,
    :etc. but when a vistor comes I only want to change one configuration
    :to add a MAC address, not six! Is there a way of doing this and is it
    :reasonably cost-effective?

    If your visitor is capable of using IEEE 802.1x authentication
    then you could handle it by just configuring a RADIUS server
    I believe.

    You don't -always- need to use multiple APs in a situation like yours,
    but lift shafts do tend to be metal and so do tend to shield
    the signal.

    Depending on the exact layout of your area and what the other
    obstructions were, there is a -possibility- that you might
    be able to get away with as few as two APs. If the area is
    square and the lift-shaft is in the center, then you could potentially
    put omni-directional antennae on them and position them sort of like
    this:

    |----------------|
    | |
    | o |
    | +--+ |
    | | | |
    | +--+ |
    | o |
    | |
    |----------------|

    If the proportions are right, then each omni would cover about half
    way to the other, and there is no lift-shaft shadow because there
    is an omni with a clear view of two sides of the shaft.

    This isn't going to work in all cases, of course -- it would depend
    a lot on what else was around.
    --
    I don't know if there's destiny,
    but there's a decision! -- Wim Wenders (WoD)

    John Rowe wrote:
    > As I understand it, if I want to use wireless on a floor of a building
    > with lift-shafts (elevator-shafts?) and the like I will need more than
    > one access-point. I will want to use MAC address filtering, WPA,
    > etc. but when a vistor comes I only want to change one configuration
    > to add a MAC address, not six! Is there a way of doing this and is it
    > reasonably cost-effective?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Sonicwall makes some (rather expensive IMO) access points that can be
    managed centrally from their firewall products. However you must have
    one of their firewalls to be able to manage them. Their firewalls start
    at about $750 or so for the lower end (on up to $10k for the high end
    ones) and the access points are about $500-$600 each.

Wireless Access Ethernet Card Mac Address Networking