Graphics Card Issue?

_Niroth_

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I recently bought a new power supply (and hdd + cpu but that seems irrelevant) for my box as my old one was on it's way out constantly rebooting itself and such. A few days after I put in the new PSU which seems to be working fine I started having this issue where my screen suddenly has areas that are.. pixelated?

It is hard to describe but it is number of green pixels on the screen that kind of flicker almost like noise. It looks somewhat like when you load safe mode and it tries to display fancy images with 16 color mode. I've noticed it happens most on greens and somewhat blue areas. For example in tiger woods 2006 the grass and sky both display this behavior whereas in doom 3 it is almost unnoticable.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? It doesn't seem like a power supply thing so I wasn't sure if it sounded like an issue with the video card, monitor (LCD) or the DVI cable. I ran down to Best Buy to try a new cable but since they want 60 bucks for a DVI Cable I decided nto to buy it without asking around first.

Thanks!

EDIT: I already tried formating and reinstalling windows to ensure it was not a driver or software issue. The problem was there even during the windows install. It is not constant and seems to come and go on a whim, regardless of the GPU being under load or just at the desktop.

ElPolloDiablo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Make sure the 12V rail that connects to your video card has nothing else on the power chain. Your video card sounds like it's either defective or starving for juice.

Clean the connectors on the video card and clean the slot out in which it goes with alcohol wipes or air duster.

Bad cables happen but this doesn't sound like a cable issue!

What video card do you have and what rating is your new PSU????????

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
if your sistem is not restarting any more and looks stable .... won`t crush or anything....try to change the video driver.....try a fresh install...

if this won`t help either ...you may have a problem with the temperatures.....maybe you have overcloked samething ...

a defective video card is also possible but first check the driver and the temperatures

good luck

_Niroth_

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
The video card is a 6800 (AGP) that does indeed require a molex connector, i can try changing around which connector it uses.

The power supply i bought was..

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817104953

I have an ASRock 939 Dual Sata2 MOBO
2 Gig of Corsair 3200
939 4600+

EDIT: I did do a fresh windows install already, and nothing is overclocked. Everest has the card around 58 degrees right now so I don't think its heat.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
The video card is a 6800 (AGP) that does indeed require a molex connector, i can try changing around which connector it uses.

The power supply i bought was..

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817104953

I have an ASRock 939 Dual Sata2 MOBO
2 Gig of Corsair 3200
939 4600+

EDIT: I did do a fresh windows install already, and nothing is overclocked. Everest has the card around 58 degrees right now so I don't think its heat.
That psu should be more than sufficient
Uninstall the nvidia drivers and install the latest supported drivers off the manufactures web site or Nvidia

_Niroth_

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I already formatted my windows partition and reinstalled the latest drivers as of 2 days ago. That is why I was thinking it must be a hardware thing.

zeroyb

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2001
It sounds like you're getting artifacts. Did you check the temperatures on your video card? GPU might be overheating (if fan dies for example).

_Niroth_

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
The temperature on the video card is ok- 58 degrees or so, and it gets no worse under load. I have the latest BIOS from the ASRock website, do I not want that? This same video card worked OK with this motherboard in the past, although I was using an older rev of the motherboard BIOS. Maybe I should flash it down?

nukeboy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Hi
I got exactely the same problem with the green artefacts.
My components:
cpu: AMD x2 3800+
mem: 1 gb ram
gfc: 2x geforce 7600 GT (SLI)
psu: spire rocketeer 600w

The funny thing is that only one of my two 7600s has the problem with the green pixels, the other one is completly normal. And they only appear in 3d games (direct3d applications). Does anyone know what to do?

ElPolloDiablo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Ahh that power supply pumps 18A through 12V1. That is the recommended for a 6800GS AGP. So you need to have NOTHING else on that rail.

That should solve your problems. If nay, then your video card is obviously fux. Video cards are cheaply made these days and if you read on newegg a lot of people have DOA/RMA issues (although I suspect 50% of it is PSU issues).

SHOOT, MOVE, AND COMMUNICATE