DiskPart on Win2K SP4 Extending RAID 5 data volume

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 28, 2004 4:31:05 PM

KB article 329826 describes the exact problem i have. After running Diskpart to extend a data volume, Disk Manager shows the expanded capacity, yet the properties and actual is stuck at the original size.

I contacted MS and they insisted on sending me the hot fix referred to in this article, even though it is a pre-emptive measure, and I was already running SP4 when the "gremlin" occured. The hot fix would not install due to SP greater than 3 already installed.

Does anyone, PLEASE, have knowledge how to fix this anomoly??

Thank you

Rick
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 11:35:29 AM

Hello Rick,

What is happening here is that the partition is being resized but the file
system isn't expanding to fill the new size. Give us a call and request the
'FSEXTEND' tool. FSEXTEND will increase the size of the file system so the
MFT knows to use all of the new partition size.
--
Robert Mitchell
Windows NT4&2000 MCSE

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!
This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.

"Rick Gummerson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> KB article 329826 describes the exact problem i have. After running
Diskpart to extend a data volume, Disk Manager shows the expanded capacity,
yet the properties and actual is stuck at the original size.

> I contacted MS and they insisted on sending me the hot fix referred to in
this article, even though it is a pre-emptive measure, and I was already
running SP4 when the "gremlin" occured. The hot fix would not install due to
SP greater than 3 already installed.

> Does anyone, PLEASE, have knowledge how to fix this anomoly??
>
> Thank you
>
> Rick
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 2:57:56 PM

Rick Gummerson wrote:
> *KB article 329826 describes the exact problem i have. After running
> Diskpart to extend a data volume, Disk Manager shows the expanded
> capacity, yet the properties and actual is stuck at the original
> size.
>
> I contacted MS and they insisted on sending me the hot fix referred
> to in this article, even though it is a pre-emptive measure, and I
> was already running SP4 when the "gremlin" occured. The hot fix would
> not install due to SP greater than 3 already insta
> lled.
>
> Does anyone, PLEASE, have knowledge how to fix this anomoly??
>
> Thank you
>
> Rick *

I have a similar problem with my windows 2003 server. After expanding
my EMC Clariion CX300 metalun successfully, I attepmted to extend the
existing basic volume out over the new unused space and like the person
above, cannot see the extra space in windows explorer, however it is
registered in Disk Administrator...
Any help would be appreciated

domd

--
domd
October 30, 2004 9:06:08 PM

domd wrote:
> *I have a similar problem with my windows 2003 server. After
> expanding my EMC Clariion CX300 metalun successfully, I attepmted to
> extend the existing basic volume out over the new unused space and
> like the person above, cannot see the extra space in windows
> explorer, however it is registered in Disk Administrator...
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> domd *

I used this utility in win2k3 to expand a san stored volume. Make sure
you run while in safe mode to ensure all file handles are closed. It
should return successful results relatively quickly. I made the mistake
of running in normal mode; disk admin displayed the correct extended
volume space, however Windows Explorer did not recognize the additional
space due to file system corruption. It was necessary to run the
FSEXTEND.EXE util to extend the f/s on the volume out over the
addtional space to correct the problem. If you are performing this
function on AD controller, make sure to run in AD Restore mode.

Good luck,
dom

--
domd