Newby Graphics Q

Has anyone got the game to run on Intel GME900 integrated graphics? (910GL
express chipset)

OK so it's SMA but its comes up as 128 MB graphics memory and DXDiag says
it's OK all the way up to DirectX 9.0.

The Options item on the main menu recognises the card and offers a variety
of resolutions, but when I attempt to Play the game has a look at my system
configuration then just quits with 'Morrowind has encountered a problem and
needs to close etc' Is there any way to get a better idea of what the
problem is? I have encountered some pretty unhelpful error messages in my
time but this wins the prize.

The rest of the system should be OK. 2.8 HT P4, 512 MB, about 130GB free
disk space.

TIA

Randomiser
12 answers Last reply
More about newby graphics

    Randomiser wrote:
    > Has anyone got the game to run on Intel GME900 integrated graphics? (910GL
    > express chipset)
    >
    > OK so it's SMA but its comes up as 128 MB graphics memory and DXDiag says
    > it's OK all the way up to DirectX 9.0.
    >
    > The Options item on the main menu recognises the card and offers a variety
    > of resolutions, but when I attempt to Play the game has a look at my system
    > configuration then just quits with 'Morrowind has encountered a problem and
    > needs to close etc' Is there any way to get a better idea of what the
    > problem is? I have encountered some pretty unhelpful error messages in my
    > time but this wins the prize.

    Is your desktop setting at 32-bit color resolution? MW needs it.

    "Guido Hörster" <Guido_Hoerster@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > Randomiser wrote:
    >> Has anyone got the game to run on Intel GME900 integrated graphics?
    >> (910GL express chipset)
    >>
    >> OK so it's SMA but its comes up as 128 MB graphics memory and DXDiag
    >> says it's OK all the way up to DirectX 9.0.
    >>
    >> The Options item on the main menu recognises the card and offers a
    >> variety of resolutions, but when I attempt to Play the game has a look at
    >> my system configuration then just quits with 'Morrowind has encountered a
    >> problem and needs to close etc' Is there any way to get a better idea of
    >> what the problem is? I have encountered some pretty unhelpful error
    >> messages in my time but this wins the prize.
    >>
    > Is your desktop setting at 32-bit color resolution? MW needs it.

    Yes

    "Randomiser" <Randomiser@LOSETHISconkey.plus,com> wrote in

    > Has anyone got the game to run on Intel GME900 integrated
    > graphics? (910GL express chipset)
    >
    > Is there any way to get a better idea of what
    > the problem is? I have encountered some pretty unhelpful
    > error messages in my time but this wins the prize.
    >
    > The rest of the system should be OK. 2.8 HT P4, 512 MB,
    > about 130GB free disk space.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Randomiser

    What trouble shooting steps have you tried so far?

    Anything beyond changing resolutions?

    "Lithurge" <bogorfspam@bogoff.net> wrote in message
    > "Randomiser" <Randomiser@LOSETHISconkey.plus,com> wrote in
    >
    >> Has anyone got the game to run on Intel GME900 integrated
    >> graphics? (910GL express chipset)
    >>
    >> Is there any way to get a better idea of what
    >> the problem is? I have encountered some pretty unhelpful
    >> error messages in my time but this wins the prize.
    >>
    >> The rest of the system should be OK. 2.8 HT P4, 512 MB,
    >> about 130GB free disk space.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Randomiser
    >>

    > What trouble shooting steps have you tried so far?
    >
    > Anything beyond changing resolutions?

    I updated the game to the latest level I could find on the publisher's
    server. Beyond that nothing really, because I haven't a clue what the
    problem is. Any suggestions most welcome.

    Randomiser wrote:
    > "Lithurge" <bogorfspam@bogoff.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Randomiser" <Randomiser@LOSETHISconkey.plus,com> wrote in
    >>

    >>>Has anyone got the game to run on Intel GME900 integrated
    >>>graphics? (910GL express chipset)
    >>>
    >>>Is there any way to get a better idea of what
    >>>the problem is? I have encountered some pretty unhelpful
    >>>error messages in my time but this wins the prize.
    >>>
    >>>The rest of the system should be OK. 2.8 HT P4, 512 MB,
    >>>about 130GB free disk space.
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>Randomiser
    >>>

    >>What trouble shooting steps have you tried so far?
    >>
    >>Anything beyond changing resolutions?
    >

    > I updated the game to the latest level I could find on the publisher's
    > server. Beyond that nothing really, because I haven't a clue what the
    > problem is. Any suggestions most welcome.

    If you look at Intel's website you will see that the chipset has
    problems with a number of newer games. Of course they don't mention any
    work arounds.

    Have you tried going into the video card's properties and setting the
    'Hardware Acceleration' slider a notch or three to the left? (Right click
    on your desktop, PROPERTIES -> SETTINGS -> ADVANCED -> TROUBLESHOOT or
    whatever to get to it) If there were a website filled with helpful advice
    on getting the game to work, I figure that would be one of the top five
    solutions.

    Doc Watson might be able to help you pinpoint the problem, but try the
    acceleration setting first - it could save you some messing about.

    Good luck - it's way worth the effort.

    DMen

    "DMen" <dyrt@shaLALALAw.ca> wrote in message
    > Have you tried going into the video card's properties and setting the
    > 'Hardware Acceleration' slider a notch or three to the left? (Right click
    > on your desktop, PROPERTIES -> SETTINGS -> ADVANCED -> TROUBLESHOOT or
    > whatever to get to it) If there were a website filled with helpful advice
    > on getting the game to work, I figure that would be one of the top five
    > solutions.
    >
    > Doc Watson might be able to help you pinpoint the problem, but try the
    > acceleration setting first - it could save you some messing about.
    >
    > Good luck - it's way worth the effort.
    >
    > DMen

    Thanks, but altering the hardware acceleration didn't produce a result.

    > "Lithurge" <bogorfspam@bogoff.net> wrote in message
    >> "Randomiser" <Randomiser@LOSETHISconkey.plus,com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Has anyone got the game to run on Intel GME900 integrated
    >>> graphics? (910GL express chipset)
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to get a better idea of what
    >>> the problem is? I have encountered some pretty unhelpful
    >>> error messages in my time but this wins the prize.
    >>>
    >>> The rest of the system should be OK. 2.8 HT P4, 512 MB,
    >>> about 130GB free disk space.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Randomiser
    >>>

    >> What trouble shooting steps have you tried so far?
    >>
    >> Anything beyond changing resolutions?
    >
    > I updated the game to the latest level I could find on the
    > publisher's server. Beyond that nothing really, because I
    > haven't a clue what the problem is. Any suggestions most
    > welcome.

    There are some fairly recent drivers for this 'card' that are
    worth a shot, also worth trying lowering sound acceleration.

    > "DMen" <dyrt@shaLALALAw.ca> wrote in message
    >> Have you tried going into the video card's properties and setting the
    >> 'Hardware Acceleration' slider a notch or three to the left? (Right
    >> click on your desktop, PROPERTIES -> SETTINGS -> ADVANCED -> TROUBLESHOOT
    >> or whatever to get to it) If there were a website filled with helpful
    >> advice on getting the game to work, I figure that would be one of the top
    >> five solutions.
    >>
    >> Doc Watson might be able to help you pinpoint the problem, but try the
    >> acceleration setting first - it could save you some messing about.
    >>
    >> Good luck - it's way worth the effort.
    >>
    >> DMen
    >>

    > Thanks, but altering the hardware acceleration didn't produce a result.

    Bummer on that. Check the sound card out and try cutting the hardware
    acceleration on that would be my next move. If there were a website yadda
    yadda yadda...

    Did you try Dr. Watson out? That's really a Windows thing, but it might
    catch a bad call and tell you where it was.

    DMen

    > "Randomiser" <Randomiser@LOSETHISconkey.plus,com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "DMen" <dyrt@shaLALALAw.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Have you tried going into the video card's properties and setting the
    >>> 'Hardware Acceleration' slider a notch or three to the left? (Right
    >>> click on your desktop, PROPERTIES -> SETTINGS -> ADVANCED ->
    >>> TROUBLESHOOT or whatever to get to it) If there were a website filled
    >>> with helpful advice on getting the game to work, I figure that would be
    >>> one of the top five solutions.
    >>>
    >>> Doc Watson might be able to help you pinpoint the problem, but try the
    >>> acceleration setting first - it could save you some messing about.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck - it's way worth the effort.
    >>>
    >>> DMen
    >>>

    >> Thanks, but altering the hardware acceleration didn't produce a result.
    >>

    > Bummer on that. Check the sound card out and try cutting the hardware
    > acceleration on that would be my next move. If there were a website yadda
    > yadda yadda...
    >
    > Did you try Dr. Watson out? That's really a Windows thing, but it might
    > catch a bad call and tell you where it was.
    >
    > DMen

    Thanks again, tried the Audio acceleration right after the video; no joy.

    Got Dr Watson working and got a trace, most of which I can't interpret. But
    it seems to be reporting an Access Violation in ~DF394B.tmp which of course
    I can't locate on the M/C since it's a .tmp file and will get deleted when
    the program crashes.

    Funny thing is since it won't run on the machine I described, I have been
    trying to get Morrowind to run on my other machine which is a totally
    different set-up, clearly meets the minimum specs and has a supported video
    chipset. (1GHz P3, 256Mb, 64Mb Geforce2 MX400, Soundblaster Live! Value,
    Windows Me, all drivers up to date, DX 9.0) No joy there either and when I
    try to load the game it keeps crashing with an exception in the same module,
    ~DF394B.tmp. Looks very sus to me.

    Technical support have seen the DXDiag reports and the DRWatson log, but
    suggest the usual, 'check your drivers are up to date' stuff. Getting a tiny
    bit ticked off and wish they would do some work instead of just parroting
    the usual suspects.

    Randomiser

    Really? Hey, maybe your CD is pooched. Wish you had another copy of MW to
    try, but in absence of that, I would check the one you have by holding it up
    to the light and seeing if there's a hole in the foil, then hold it sideways
    to the light and look for big, ham-fisted fingerprint smudges, smears of
    peanut butter, dog/cat/budgie scratches, etc. Or download a freeware CD
    tester and let it look at the disk for you.

    You can try here, or hunt around online for one:
    http://www.sac.sk/files.php?d=14&p=7

    > "DMen" <dyrt@shaLALALAw.ca> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Randomiser" <Randomiser@LOSETHISconkey.plus,com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "DMen" <dyrt@shaLALALAw.ca> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks, but altering the hardware acceleration didn't produce a result.
    >>>

    >> Bummer on that. Check the sound card out and try cutting the hardware
    >> acceleration on that would be my next move. If there were a website
    >> yadda yadda yadda...
    >>
    >> Did you try Dr. Watson out? That's really a Windows thing, but it might
    >> catch a bad call and tell you where it was.
    >>
    >> DMen
    >
    > Thanks again, tried the Audio acceleration right after the video; no joy.
    >
    > Got Dr Watson working and got a trace, most of which I can't interpret.
    > But it seems to be reporting an Access Violation in ~DF394B.tmp which of
    > course I can't locate on the M/C since it's a .tmp file and will get
    > deleted when the program crashes.
    >
    > Funny thing is since it won't run on the machine I described, I have been
    > trying to get Morrowind to run on my other machine which is a totally
    > different set-up, clearly meets the minimum specs and has a supported
    > video chipset. (1GHz P3, 256Mb, 64Mb Geforce2 MX400, Soundblaster Live!
    > Value, Windows Me, all drivers up to date, DX 9.0) No joy there either and
    > when I try to load the game it keeps crashing with an exception in the
    > same module, ~DF394B.tmp. Looks very sus to me.
    >
    > Technical support have seen the DXDiag reports and the DRWatson log, but
    > suggest the usual, 'check your drivers are up to date' stuff. Getting a
    > tiny bit ticked off and wish they would do some work instead of just
    > parroting the usual suspects.
    >
    > Randomiser

    "Randomiser" <Randomiser@LOSETHISconkey.plus,com> wrote in message

    > Funny thing is since it won't run on the machine I described, I have been
    > trying to get Morrowind to run on my other machine which is a totally
    > different set-up, clearly meets the minimum specs and has a supported
    video
    > chipset. (1GHz P3, 256Mb, 64Mb Geforce2 MX400, Soundblaster Live! Value,
    > Windows Me, all drivers up to date, DX 9.0) No joy there either and when I
    > try to load the game it keeps crashing with an exception in the same
    module,
    > ~DF394B.tmp. Looks very sus to me.

    Might be your disk then. Because I've been playing an extremely stable
    MW:GOTY game that's moded within an inch of it's life on a 700mz P3, 384
    RAM, 64mb Geforce 2 and Win98 machine. So it strikes me that if my system,
    which is very comparable to yours runs MW pretty much flawlessly - and once
    ran MW with a castrated 32mb TNT2 video card in the past - then your back-up
    machine should be able to handle it with similar success.

    That's about all I can say.

    --
    MJB

    Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop: