Sign in with
Your question

WTF??!!! GREEN FLASHING CRAP ON MY GAMES!! AGGHH! HELP!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 27, 2006 4:32:51 AM

Ok this first started when I installed and ran Need for Speed Most Wanted.

I have a BFG Tech Geforce 6600GT OC 128mb GDDR3 AGP 8x graphics card.

PC: 2.6ghz P4, 1gb ram, 120gb hard drive, 200w power supply, sound blaster audigy card, ASUS motherboard, blah, blah, etc.

When I put the graphics on medium there was like green flashing lines and blobs in the background.

I was like "WTF is this?"

My brother recently installed Need for speed underground 2. I cranked the graphics to full and the green lines and blobs appear again!

It doesnt do this on America's Army that I play.

Then my brother found the same green lines appearing and disappearing (like on the NFS games) on Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

Now im starting to get worried.

The best way to show it is in this picture of me playing Need for speed most wanted:

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtfgreenstuffuv...

Ive tried turning the graphics to that game on Medium and low and still the same problem.

As well I just updated my graphics card driver, hoping that would fix it.

But to no avail.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated!
August 27, 2006 4:39:12 AM

That's an awesome power supply you have.
August 27, 2006 4:40:20 AM

Quote:

Damn, caught that before I could....I better hussle to another thread.
Related resources
August 27, 2006 5:23:40 AM

I didn't know 200w power supplies even existed?
August 27, 2006 5:36:14 AM

Quote:

LOL :lol:  . Yeah, that might power my five year old Dimension 4100, but not much more. Okay, I'll stop being a jerk. Seriously, that's nowhere near enough power for that system. Get AT LEAST 350watts (probably 400 or more actually) then see if the problem doesn't magically go away.

To be honest, I'm suprised your machine even runs those games at all without freezing or having other bizarre PSU-related issues.
August 27, 2006 5:40:07 AM

Quote:

I think my 80286 had one :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2006 6:54:36 AM

Quote:
A new power supply is just what the doctor recommended!
400w-450w will be more than enough. Here is my suggestion-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023

I got that PSU its pretty good, no probs with it yet.

Quote:
You don't have a underpower PSU problem.
Your gfx card (specificly the MEM) is focked and it's not a fixable overheating issue either.

Get a new gfx card.

Are you joking? You cant jump to conclusions like that since not every game is affected. He said America's Army worked fine. It could be an overheating issue, but I would definitely buy a new PSU. To fix artifacts on my 9800 pro I needed better cooling and a new PSU.
August 27, 2006 8:11:50 AM

the way i see it ..the gpu is either overheating or overclocked...

the psu llok indeed low ..but unless the sistem restarts it`s more than enough power.......i did not hear anything about any restarts....so don`t blae the psu.....

ohh. and one more thing the sistem will not hang or jam when the psu is underpowered..it will simply restart...
August 27, 2006 9:46:38 AM

Quote:

Yer they do, i had a 230watt one before but it blew up and toke my hard drive out so i decided to replace it while the time was nigh........
August 27, 2006 10:03:12 AM

I agree its an Overheating problem!

play need for speed with the pc panels open and see if u can get the same effects.

does the game slow down while playing ?

Edit: low powered pc might not even boot !!
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2006 11:24:19 AM

As has been mentioned it is probably overheating, is your fan spinning on the GPU? can you control your fan speed in any way? use rivatuner to check the temp of your GPU, as it is a pre-overclocked it might be running a little warm.

Are your case fans spinning? do you have case fans? its doesn't look like a hot system, but if your are getting any fresh air in there your GPU will suffer.

If you are going to get another GPU i'd suggest to look at your PSU as well as 200 will start to struggle above a 6600GT, in fact as with others I'm surprised its not struggling already.
August 27, 2006 11:45:46 AM

Looks like a overclocking problem. Yea it's good to change you PSU too.
Thats a BFG OCed version I think maybe they clocked it higher than it can run. Try rivatuner and downclock a bit you card GPU/memory then try again. This could be artifacting or simply a software issue.
August 27, 2006 12:33:15 PM

Quote:

Are you joking? You cant jump to conclusions like that since not every game is affected. He said America's Army worked fine. It could be an overheating issue, but I would definitely buy a new PSU. To fix artifacts on my 9800 pro I needed better cooling and a new PSU.

Wusy is right. What ever it is it’s not the power. The nvidia driver reports that the card is not getting enough power and informs the user (by means of a popup) that it is slowing the card down. (It happened to me quite often)

My vote goes for overheating though it could be a scr5wed up gpu
:( 
August 27, 2006 12:51:26 PM

Quote:
It's a green line problem. Something I've seen a lot over the long years in this forum.
I'm 99% sure. :wink:

Actually I'm surprised GW didn't pick that up.

Exactly. I'm 100% with Wusy here.

A good PSU is nice and all but everyone is very quick to jump on the PSU as the magical fix to all problems.
August 27, 2006 1:50:49 PM

Quote:

If its his power supply which you think is causing the problem then just tell him that and try to help him with it. No need to be a smart ass.

I would think a 200W PSU would be a very weak link in your set up.
August 27, 2006 3:11:30 PM

Quote:
the way i see it ..the gpu is either overheating or overclocked...

the psu llok indeed low ..but unless the sistem restarts it`s more than enough power.......i did not hear anything about any restarts....so don`t blae the psu.....

ohh. and one more thing the sistem will not hang or jam when the psu is underpowered..it will simply restart...

actually my system has restarted itself a couple times before. I'll be in a game and then boom it just restarts itself.

As well the Graphics card is only 1 year old.
August 27, 2006 3:21:56 PM

Quote:
As has been mentioned it is probably overheating, is your fan spinning on the GPU? can you control your fan speed in any way? use rivatuner to check the temp of your GPU, as it is a pre-overclocked it might be running a little warm.

Are your case fans spinning? do you have case fans? its doesn't look like a hot system, but if your are getting any fresh air in there your GPU will suffer.

If you are going to get another GPU i'd suggest to look at your PSU as well as 200 will start to struggle above a 6600GT, in fact as with others I'm surprised its not struggling already.

I only have my PS fan and a massive case fan in the back. My PC is an HP Media Centre. One of these kind:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2002/comde...

and so it has a big case fan in the back. I did suspect it would be my PSU.

My graphics card fan is running yes. Every once in a while though, this just started maybe 3 weeks ago, i hear something like a fan thats going in High Power overdrive that is just whipping air like there is no tomorrow. It is so loud that im afraid my computer is gonna blow up so I turn it off. I cant figure out if its my PSU fan, CPU fan or GPU fan.

I just opened my case to my CPU and it seems to feel like normal temp.

I am checking my GPU temp now using an nvidia program.
Its ambiant temp. is 0 degrees celsius.
Its slowdown threshold is 145 degrees celsius.
Right now with Mozilla and Windows Media player open its GPU temp is 72 degrees celsius.

Im not sure if that helps you guys better understand what the problem is.

Oh and here is another problem. Im told that in my model media centre (the one i linked above) that HP used their own size Power Supply and not a standard ATX. can someone validate that for me cause i have no clue about it. And if that is the case then what am i supposed to do for a PSU then?

This is hard to see but this is the back of my pc:
http://cnet.nytimes.com/sc/30557444-2-60-front+back-2.g...
August 27, 2006 3:41:59 PM

As an example....

I have a decent 250w PSU here that came with a very old Dell computer I ripped apart. The 12v rail wattage is the same as the wattage on a 400w PSU I have kicking about that came with a case.

His 200w PSU is more than likely sufficient for a 6600GT, the PCI-E version of this doesnt even need an external power connector iirc.
August 27, 2006 4:12:27 PM

After talking to an HP technical help person they said that my power supply is an U-ATX power supply (A smaller ATX power supply). I need bigger than 400w. Anyone know where I can get these kind of psu's in Canada?
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2006 5:02:29 PM

Can you download rivatuner, you can then use it to track your temps (it records them) whilst you are gaming. my 6600GT idles at about 65-70 dependant on ambient, and I can get it up to 90-95 without any artifacts (green lines etc.)

If your PSU is a problem then it is the cause of the random shutdowns not the green blocks (more than likey anyway)
August 27, 2006 7:03:43 PM

Quote:
It's a green line problem. Something I've seen a lot over the long years in this forum.

He doesnt have an ATi card though you little skank :wink:
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2006 6:36:57 AM

Quote:

It could be overheating tho even if its not his psu. Still, my 9800 pro recommends a 300W and the 6600gt is faster than that (although it uses less power I think). Maybe he should get a desktop fan and blow on the card to keep it really cool (including VRAM) and that will determine if heat is a factor or not.
August 28, 2006 8:47:14 AM

Hi.

I have a Leadtek A6600GT (AGP 8x) card. It uses a molex power connector; and the manufacturer recommends a 350W PSU.

However, I don't think this problem is PSU related.

I see your card is overclocked. By how much?
Just as an idea, I can overclock mine to 570/1150MHz (from 500/900), before I start getting artifacts. (I think the artifacts appear when I reach that 570MHz for the GPU; it doesn't seem that it is from the memory).
Also, the temperatures for mine are: 40-45C when idle, 80-85C for full load (this is at 550/1100), 127C threshold.
You can also check the temperature in the driver window.

I hope this info is useful for you.

Oh, just to be sure that you are getting artifacts from overclocking too far, you should try lowering the GPU/memory frequencies to stock values (500MHz GPU, 1000MHz memory) and see if you still have the problem.
If this is it, I would ask for a replacement, because the card you bought isn't running well at the speeds it was advertised.
August 28, 2006 9:21:33 AM

I totally agree with wusy on this one.

I'ts been a while but my geforce mx440 used to do the whole artifact thing and lines while playing GTA Vice City. I could run Rugby (I think it was 2001) on it fine but just try to run GTA and the lines came and the pc restarted. Tried it in my friends pc and it did the same. Maybe you should try it on some other pc (if possible) or try one of your friends's cards in your pc.

On the psu issue. It is kinda small but like my old duron it wouldn't start up if it wasn't good enough. Not your psu but i still recommend a bigger one.
August 30, 2006 11:11:26 PM

I thank everyone for their help in this topic.

The winner was: Everyone that said replace the PSU

I went and bought a ATX 465W safe power PSU.

Made a case modification, installed a new DVD Burner and voila!

I went on Need for Speed Most Wanted (all my levels were on the same level as the screen shot I took and posted in the original post) and I loaded the same map and everything and I noticed I was getting atleast 40-50 more fps (I could see the difference). No green after 5 min of playing. I cranked the graphics to full, loaded the same map and no green, averaging around 40-50 fps. I then loaded up Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. All the low fps and video lag that was there before was gone! I cranked the graphics to full. Ran smooth as silk. I loaded up a map in America's Army that before I got 18-20 fps on. Now I checked my fps in the console 80 fps! I cranked the game graphics to full and averaged 68 fps.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this problem!

Me- 1 HP and their stupid U-ATX Power Supplies- 0
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2006 2:36:53 AM

Quote:
I thank everyone for their help in this topic.

The winner was: Everyone that said replace the PSU

I went and bought a ATX 465W safe power PSU.

Made a case modification, installed a new DVD Burner and voila!

I went on Need for Speed Most Wanted (all my levels were on the same level as the screen shot I took and posted in the original post) and I loaded the same map and everything and I noticed I was getting atleast 40-50 more fps (I could see the difference). No green after 5 min of playing. I cranked the graphics to full, loaded the same map and no green, averaging around 40-50 fps. I then loaded up Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. All the low fps and video lag that was there before was gone! I cranked the graphics to full. Ran smooth as silk. I loaded up a map in America's Army that before I got 18-20 fps on. Now I checked my fps in the console 80 fps! I cranked the game graphics to full and averaged 68 fps.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this problem!

Me- 1 HP and their stupid U-ATX Power Supplies- 0

Aha I was right! Your card was so starved of power that it performed like a geforce 256 :p  Have fun!
August 31, 2006 9:42:21 AM

Man! I was wrong :( 

You mean the nVidia driver never reported that the card was not getting enough power? It happened to me so often till I changed the power setup I thought that nVidia drivers report to all users by default if the card is not getting enough power.

I guess I was wrong.
August 31, 2006 10:00:56 AM

Your not alone. Real strange that it didn't report the power shortage.
August 31, 2006 10:10:24 AM

Quote:

I think my 80286 had one :lol: 

My P3 had an 200W PSU. They DO exist :lol: 
August 31, 2006 10:27:38 AM

Wow! I would have pegged that 100% as an overclock issue. Good job guys.
August 31, 2006 3:18:46 PM

How high had you clocked it? from 500/1000 to ...?
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2006 5:21:09 AM

Quote:
Your not alone. Real strange that it didn't report the power shortage.

Yea my friend has a 6600gt and he gets that message occasionally. I need to go around and see whats up. Maybe the power connector is not on properly, if it needs one.
!