Sata and SataII backwards compat?

Can you plug a SATA II hard drive into a SATA 1.5Gbps port? If not I guess I'm stuck with one SATA II port :(
4 answers Last reply
More about sata sataii backwards compat
  1. Quote:
    Can you plug a SATA II hard drive into a SATA 1.5Gbps port? If not I guess I'm stuck with one SATA II port :(

Yes.
    It should also run at the exact same speed as well.

ATA,SATA and the so called SATA 2 are just "interface" and the drives themselfs do not even use all the bandwith of ATA as it is.

Notice I said "the so called SATA 2"?
    Thats becuase it is NOT a offical computer standard but a marketing ploy.
  2. Great, thnx for the info. I did know HDDs cant even begin to use the bandwidth of even SATA.
  3. Quote:
    Great, thnx for the info. I did know HDDs cant even begin to use the bandwidth of even SATA.

Yeah, hard drive speed isn't increasing that quickly. I think we are waiting for the next gen storage medium. From what I remember, they are working on optical storage akin to a homomatrix cube in star trek. Of course the actual storage won't be a holomatrix but the principle is the same: information stored and acessed using light.

If I remembered where I read the article I would post a link. Oh well, just thought I'd mention it. :)
  4. SATA II cabling is backwards compatible, so its worthwhile to consider using them even if you're using a SATA drive, nothing worse than upgrading some point down the road and having a hidden glitch due to the wrong cables.
Ask a new question

Read More

SATA Hard Drives Components