W98 to W2k - Disk Problem

I'm moving to a new machine which I set up under W2K and am
trying to plug in my 40 gig data (D) drive from a W98
system into it. When I bring the system up and set up the
CMOS for the new drive, explorer shows the drive as present
but when I click on it to see the folders, W2k says I need
to format it. The drive is FAT32 and the 6 gig C drive
containing W2K was formated as FAT32. What do I need to do
to get this to work?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi, Bill.

What does Disk Management say about that HD?

Many users still haven't found Disk Management, 4 years after it first
appeared in Win2K. It took over the jobs formerly done by FDISK and
Format.exe under MS-DOS, plus drive letter assignment, which was done by
Device Manager in Win9x/ME. One quick way to get to Disk Management is to
type at the Run prompt: diskmgmt.msc

Study the Help file in Disk Management. Sometimes we need to Initialize or
Import a Foreign Disk when we move one from a different system. I haven't
had the problem, so I'm not sure just what you might need to do, but this
Help file should explain it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA