Corrupt File System

I'm getting the following errors when running a chkdsk /i:

Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
from file record segment 11127918.
Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
from file record segment 11588935.
Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
from file record segment 12026613.
File verification completed.
Deleting orphan file record segment 65807.
Deleting orphan file record segment 242615.
Deleting orphan file record segment 1090990.
Deleting orphan file record segment 1947449.

This partition is a 2TB partition with about 100G of free
space and contains millions of small image files. We
have had to run chkdsk /f on this server before and it
seems like this partition keeps developing disk
problems. How can I keep this from reoccuring in the
future since it takes from 3 to 8 hours to run the
chkdsk /f.

Jeff
3 answers Last reply
More about corrupt file system

    "Jeff" <dunsbej@nationwide.com> wrote in news:16bae01c4480b$f208f550
    $a101280a@phx.gbl:

    > I'm getting the following errors when running a chkdsk /i:
    >
    > Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
    > from file record segment 11127918.
    > Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
    > from file record segment 11588935.
    > Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
    > from file record segment 12026613.
    > File verification completed.
    > Deleting orphan file record segment 65807.
    > Deleting orphan file record segment 242615.
    > Deleting orphan file record segment 1090990.
    > Deleting orphan file record segment 1947449.
    >
    > This partition is a 2TB partition with about 100G of free
    > space and contains millions of small image files. We
    > have had to run chkdsk /f on this server before and it
    > seems like this partition keeps developing disk
    > problems. How can I keep this from reoccuring in the
    > future since it takes from 3 to 8 hours to run the
    > chkdsk /f.
    >
    > Jeff

    It can be hard to determine what is causing file system problems. I
    would look at doing a few things.

    1. Update firmware and drivers for SCSI controller. Check vendor web
    site to verify the process and make certain you match firmware and
    drivers if that is required.

    2. If running AV on the system exclude file types that can't contain a
    virus.

    3. Consider disabling write caching on drive properties in Control
    Panel.

    4. Check for delayed write errors in system.evt log. These will be event
    50 or 51.

    Leonard Severt
    Microsoft Enterprise Support

    rights.

    on "3. Consider disabling write caching on drive
    properties in Control Panel."

    This setting is currently enabled but I'm wondering how
    this setting works. This 2TB partition is running from a
    STK D178 Disk subsystem that has its own built in write
    caching.

    Is Windows adding its own as well?

    Will I suffer a performance hit from disabling this?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:16c3601c44897
    $24e167b0$a601280a@phx.gbl:

    > on "3. Consider disabling write caching on drive
    > properties in Control Panel."
    >
    > This setting is currently enabled but I'm wondering how
    > this setting works. This 2TB partition is running from a
    > STK D178 Disk subsystem that has its own built in write
    > caching.
    >
    > Is Windows adding its own as well?
    >
    > Will I suffer a performance hit from disabling this?

    Yes Windows adds it own write caching and that is what you are
    disabling. It will make a performance difference but with high end
    hardware the difference will be small.

    Leonard Severt
    Microsoft Enterprise Support

    rights.