Corrupt File System

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 1, 2004 4:09:21 PM

I'm getting the following errors when running a chkdsk /i:

Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
from file record segment 11127918.
Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
from file record segment 11588935.
Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
from file record segment 12026613.
File verification completed.
Deleting orphan file record segment 65807.
Deleting orphan file record segment 242615.
Deleting orphan file record segment 1090990.
Deleting orphan file record segment 1947449.

This partition is a 2TB partition with about 100G of free
space and contains millions of small image files. We
have had to run chkdsk /f on this server before and it
seems like this partition keeps developing disk
problems. How can I keep this from reoccuring in the
future since it takes from 3 to 8 hours to run the
chkdsk /f.

Jeff

More about : corrupt file system

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 7:37:23 AM

"Jeff" <dunsbej@nationwide.com> wrote in news:16bae01c4480b$f208f550
$a101280a@phx.gbl:

> I'm getting the following errors when running a chkdsk /i:
>
> Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
> from file record segment 11127918.
> Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
> from file record segment 11588935.
> Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
> from file record segment 12026613.
> File verification completed.
> Deleting orphan file record segment 65807.
> Deleting orphan file record segment 242615.
> Deleting orphan file record segment 1090990.
> Deleting orphan file record segment 1947449.
>
> This partition is a 2TB partition with about 100G of free
> space and contains millions of small image files. We
> have had to run chkdsk /f on this server before and it
> seems like this partition keeps developing disk
> problems. How can I keep this from reoccuring in the
> future since it takes from 3 to 8 hours to run the
> chkdsk /f.
>
> Jeff

It can be hard to determine what is causing file system problems. I
would look at doing a few things.

1. Update firmware and drivers for SCSI controller. Check vendor web
site to verify the process and make certain you match firmware and
drivers if that is required.

2. If running AV on the system exclude file types that can't contain a
virus.

3. Consider disabling write caching on drive properties in Control
Panel.

4. Check for delayed write errors in system.evt log. These will be event
50 or 51.

Leonard Severt
Microsoft Enterprise Support

rights.
June 2, 2004 8:45:46 AM

on "3. Consider disabling write caching on drive
properties in Control Panel."

This setting is currently enabled but I'm wondering how
this setting works. This 2TB partition is running from a
STK D178 Disk subsystem that has its own built in write
caching.

Is Windows adding its own as well?

Will I suffer a performance hit from disabling this?

confers no
>rights.
>.

Anonymous
June 6, 2004 7:16:07 AM

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:16c3601c44897
$24e167b0$a601280a@phx.gbl:

> on "3. Consider disabling write caching on drive
> properties in Control Panel."
>
> This setting is currently enabled but I'm wondering how
> this setting works. This 2TB partition is running from a
> STK D178 Disk subsystem that has its own built in write
> caching.
>
> Is Windows adding its own as well?
>
> Will I suffer a performance hit from disabling this?

Yes Windows adds it own write caching and that is what you are
disabling. It will make a performance difference but with high end
hardware the difference will be small.

!