Logitech Z5500 front grill

willz

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Hi, i have had the Logitech Z5500 for some time, i would like to remove the grill on the subwoofer so that i can see the actual speaker, how do i remove the grill, i have taken the screws out of the front, but still it wont budge, is it glued on or screwed in from the inside too? surely there must be a way to remove the grill?!?!?! :(

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey Willz,
I also have that set of ear candy and but I have to say I never tried to remove the front grill. Now you said you took out the front screws but I think you MAY have to remove the back (ie where the amp and plug ins are) because I suspect there may be a couple of screws that are holding it in place from the inside.

However what you could try is get a very thin knife, and CAREFULLY and I mean CAREFULLY try to slide it between the the grill and the cabinet. DO NOT TRY TO FORCE IT IN. If you cannot slide the knife in, then I would say that there is some type of adhesive also holding it on.

RIG specs
Antec P180 PerformanceSeries Mid-Tower Case
SeaSonic S12 600 watt power supply
Asus A8N32 SLI mobo socket 939 AMD N-Force 4 SLIX16 (bios 1103 V02.58)
RealTek 97 onboard digital 5.1 Surround
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core, 2 X 1mb L2 cache (AMD driver 1.3.1.0 w/MS hotfix & AMD Dual Core Optimizer)
2 gigs of Corsair TwinX3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC 256mb in SLI (nvidia driver 91.31)
Western Digital RAPTOR 74.3 gig 10-K rpm HDD for XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for gaming, movies, MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for document backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX 500watts

willz

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Ok, were about should i put looking to put the knife inbetween it, as a screwdriver was no use so i dont think a knife will be :(, when i take the back plate off, what am i going to see? i mean it wont be hard to take it off or get it back on right?

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
When you take th eback plate off you will prolly see some insulation and of course the wiring for the amp that's inside. It shouldn't be too hard to remove the amp.
Dude I gotta ask...........Do you REALLY want to remove the front griLL??
WHY??
personnally I like it the way it is.

Also before you do this.....remember that if you DO this...you may remove some screws that will indicate to the people where you bought it from, that you were "TAMPERING" with it and you WILL void any warranty you may have..... :oops: so in the near future if you need to return it for warranty, you will be UP A CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE

willz

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I want to remove it coz i want a clear picture of the sub moving for a vid, and coz i like to watch it moving :p

I aint prepaird to remove the back tho, i will just leave it if i cant take it off from the front, i turn it up to nearly full all the time, well i put sub volume to full, turn the main volume to 12bars, its nearly bottoming out, just under full load for the sub i think, so i may need it to be replaced on day, i am thinking about getting another z5500 set so i have 10.2 :p

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Damn man your really gonna PISS OFF your neighbours at the same time :p

It's good that you decided not to remove the grill though. YOu might have done sumpin you may have regretted :wink:

willz

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Well, i actually did try but got scared i would harm that little 10" driver so i stoped, i was using a scredriver, heard like a snap sound, now i got air rushing through one corner of the sub, and it makes a loud noise when i havent got those screws in.

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey Wilz,
I'm not gonna say it cuz I think you already feel bad enough.

If you think you have an air leak, you can get hold of some black silicone insulation like what they use on windows. YOu can buy it at the hardware store. Apply just a little bit and that should seal that hole. Are you sure you comprimised that seal? :oops:

willz

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Nah what i have done is broken a seal or somthing inbetween the grill and the box, so air is been pushed through there, and when the screws are not in, sounds like the sub is about to blow lol, i just need to keep the screws on and it should be find exept for the air at the bottom corner, damnd why the hell do logitech want to seal front grills on subs :>(, lol they let you take grills on the speakers but oh no not subs.

When i tryed to get the grill off, i heard a loud crack which was the grill.

Wierd, i tightened the grill even more and it seems louder :s, must just be my imagination :p

G

Why did you ever listen to this other guy when he knows nothing about the z-5500's why dont you look on youtube and you'll see plenty of videos on how to take the grill of even i can tell u, u dont take off the circular frame around the grill thats just there for fashion if you will get a screwdriver and hinge it out from between the grill and the out circular thingy. I know this was back in 2006 but come on man use your brain there was videos on youtube about it at that time.