File transfer size limits

When moving several folders and subfolders totaling say 20gigs, is
windows explorer up to the task or should you break up the job into
say less than 1Gig portions ?

Seems I read something about explorer having problems with very large
sized transfers once. Has this been cleared up by service pak 4, or
was it never a problem at all ?

i.e. what's the largest mouthful you'd copy from one hard drive to a
drive on another computer, peer to peer, over a linksys router and two
nics ?

TIA

nospam_05 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in

> When moving several folders and subfolders totaling say 20gigs, is
> windows explorer up to the task or should you break up the job into
> say less than 1Gig portions ?
>
> Seems I read something about explorer having problems with very large
> sized transfers once. Has this been cleared up by service pak 4, or
> was it never a problem at all ?
>
> i.e. what's the largest mouthful you'd copy from one hard drive to a
> drive on another computer, peer to peer, over a linksys router and two
> nics ?
>
> TIA

Explorer doesn't care about the size of files that are being copied.
This has never been a problem. What is a problem though is large number
of files in folders. If you have high 10's of 1000's or 100's of 1000's
of files in a single folder then performance with Explorer drops.

Leonard Severt
Microsoft Enterprise Support

rights.

TRENDING THREADS