ntfs and fat32

I have a compaq pc, which has a c-drive and a d-drive (The
d-drive is Named: system save).

When installing Win 2000 Pro, the c-drive is a Fat 32 and
the D-drive was converted to the NTFS File system, although
both are physically 1 hard drive.

Will this create a problem?

Thanks
Tony
2 answers Last reply
More about ntfs fat32

    No

    "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a compaq pc, which has a c-drive and a d-drive (The
    > d-drive is Named: system save).
    >
    > When installing Win 2000 Pro, the c-drive is a Fat 32 and
    > the D-drive was converted to the NTFS File system, although
    > both are physically 1 hard drive.
    >
    > Will this create a problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tony

    Hi, Tony.

    Each physical hard disk can be divided into up to 4 partitions, one of which
    may be an "extended partition"; the others are "primary partitions". The
    extended partition may be further divided into one or more logical drives.
    Each logical drive and each primary partition is a "volume". Each volume
    may be assigned a "drive" letter and is formatted independently of the
    others. Each volume is often informally referred to as a "drive" or a
    "partition". Drive letters are assigned anew at each reboot, but if you
    make specific assignments using Disk Management, Win2K will attempt to
    assign those same letters each time.

    Win2K has no problem with mix'n'match FAT32 and NTFS volumes, whether on the
    same physical HD or separate HDs.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a compaq pc, which has a c-drive and a d-drive (The
    > d-drive is Named: system save).
    >
    > When installing Win 2000 Pro, the c-drive is a Fat 32 and
    > the D-drive was converted to the NTFS File system, although
    > both are physically 1 hard drive.
    >
    > Will this create a problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tony