Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to connect 100Base-TX w/o auto negotiation to 10/100Base

Last response: in Networking
Share
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 9:40:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

Does anyone knows hub or switch can connect the 100Base-TX device
without auto speed negotiation function?

The device bemused me is Patton 1170M-ST ethernet-fiber modem.
I tested it successfully with my pc's NIC which can be configured to
100Base only. When I set the NIC into auto speed mode the device is
not recognized.
It is not recognized any of the commercial 10/100Base hub.

Any suggestion?

Thx!
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 1:16:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

keonyi@hotmail.com (keonyi) wrote:
>Does anyone knows hub or switch can connect the 100Base-TX device
>without auto speed negotiation function?
>
>The device bemused me is Patton 1170M-ST ethernet-fiber modem.
>I tested it successfully with my pc's NIC which can be configured to
>100Base only. When I set the NIC into auto speed mode the device is
>not recognized.
>It is not recognized any of the commercial 10/100Base hub.

It sounds like it doesn't support link pulses or ay other kind of
negotiation. You either need a port that can be forced to a
particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 5:43:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

William P.N. Smith wrote in message news:<3sa2r0ph7ufcb34n7iqocejabu2f71r60n@4ax.com>...
> keonyi@hotmail.com (keonyi) wrote:
> >Does anyone knows hub or switch can connect the 100Base-TX device
> >without auto speed negotiation function?
> >
> >The device bemused me is Patton 1170M-ST ethernet-fiber modem.
> >I tested it successfully with my pc's NIC which can be configured to
> >100Base only. When I set the NIC into auto speed mode the device is
> >not recognized.
> >It is not recognized any of the commercial 10/100Base hub.
>
> It sounds like it doesn't support link pulses or ay other kind of
> negotiation. You either need a port that can be forced to a
> particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.

Thx Smith,
> particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.
I'm seeking it. Would you recommend a small size switch?
We are considering to buy a new converter but I don't want to throw it away.
Related resources
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 4:34:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

keonyi@hotmail.com (keonyi) wrote:
>> particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.
>I'm seeking it. Would you recommend a small size switch?
>We are considering to buy a new converter but I don't want to throw it away.

I suspect the cost of even the cheapest managed switch will far exceed
the cost of a new converter...
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 12:06:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

In article <j4l6r0pfpbvf747oh6ipfe7jic11jol8p6@4ax.com>,
<William P.N. Smith> wrote:
:keonyi@hotmail.com (keonyi) wrote:

:>> particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.

:>I'm seeking it. Would you recommend a small size switch?
:>We are considering to buy a new converter but I don't want to throw it away.

:I suspect the cost of even the cheapest managed switch will far exceed
:the cost of a new converter...

To be pedantic, you don't need a "managed switch", you just need a
configurable bridge.

In any case, you are incorrect about the relative pricings.
The OP can go on to eBay and buy a Baystack 28115/ADV switch,
the ports of which are configurable for 10/Half, 100/Half, or 100/Full.

The 28115/ADV shows up fairly regularily on eBay. For example, there
are at least 6 of them on auction at the moment, one of which has
an opening price of $US 2.50 (plus $US 20 shipping within the USA.)
(eBay item #5735442594). $US 9.99 is the common asking price for
the 28115/ADV's

The user manual for the 28115/ADV can be found at
http://www25.nortelnetworks.com/library/tpubs/pdf/switc...
--
WW{Backus,Church,Dijkstra,Knuth,Hollerith,Turing,vonNeumann}D ?
!