How to connect 100Base-TX w/o auto negotiation to 10/100Base

Does anyone knows hub or switch can connect the 100Base-TX device
without auto speed negotiation function?

The device bemused me is Patton 1170M-ST ethernet-fiber modem.
I tested it successfully with my pc's NIC which can be configured to
100Base only. When I set the NIC into auto speed mode the device is
not recognized.
It is not recognized any of the commercial 10/100Base hub.

Any suggestion?

Thx!
4 answers Last reply
More about connect 100base auto negotiation 100base

    keonyi@hotmail.com (keonyi) wrote:
    >Does anyone knows hub or switch can connect the 100Base-TX device
    >without auto speed negotiation function?
    >
    >The device bemused me is Patton 1170M-ST ethernet-fiber modem.
    >I tested it successfully with my pc's NIC which can be configured to
    >100Base only. When I set the NIC into auto speed mode the device is
    >not recognized.
    >It is not recognized any of the commercial 10/100Base hub.

    It sounds like it doesn't support link pulses or ay other kind of
    negotiation. You either need a port that can be forced to a
    particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.

    William P.N. Smith wrote in message news:<3sa2r0ph7ufcb34n7iqocejabu2f71r60n@4ax.com>...
    > keonyi@hotmail.com (keonyi) wrote:
    > >Does anyone knows hub or switch can connect the 100Base-TX device
    > >without auto speed negotiation function?
    > >
    > >The device bemused me is Patton 1170M-ST ethernet-fiber modem.
    > >I tested it successfully with my pc's NIC which can be configured to
    > >100Base only. When I set the NIC into auto speed mode the device is
    > >not recognized.
    > >It is not recognized any of the commercial 10/100Base hub.
    >
    > It sounds like it doesn't support link pulses or ay other kind of
    > negotiation. You either need a port that can be forced to a
    > particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.

    Thx Smith,
    > particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.
    I'm seeking it. Would you recommend a small size switch?
    We are considering to buy a new converter but I don't want to throw it away.

    keonyi@hotmail.com (keonyi) wrote:
    >> particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.
    >I'm seeking it. Would you recommend a small size switch?
    >We are considering to buy a new converter but I don't want to throw it away.

    I suspect the cost of even the cheapest managed switch will far exceed
    the cost of a new converter...

    In article <j4l6r0pfpbvf747oh6ipfe7jic11jol8p6@4ax.com>,
    <William P.N. Smith> wrote:
    :keonyi@hotmail.com (keonyi) wrote:

    :>> particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.

    :>I'm seeking it. Would you recommend a small size switch?
    :>We are considering to buy a new converter but I don't want to throw it away.

    :I suspect the cost of even the cheapest managed switch will far exceed
    :the cost of a new converter...

    To be pedantic, you don't need a "managed switch", you just need a
    configurable bridge.

    In any case, you are incorrect about the relative pricings.
    The OP can go on to eBay and buy a Baystack 28115/ADV switch,
    the ports of which are configurable for 10/Half, 100/Half, or 100/Full.

    The 28115/ADV shows up fairly regularily on eBay. For example, there
    are at least 6 of them on auction at the moment, one of which has
    an opening price of $US 2.50 (plus $US 20 shipping within the USA.)
    (eBay item #5735442594). $US 9.99 is the common asking price for
    the 28115/ADV's

    The user manual for the 28115/ADV can be found at
    http://www25.nortelnetworks.com/library/tpubs/pdf/switches/bstack/28k/switch/9300965A.PDF
    --
    WW{Backus,Church,Dijkstra,Knuth,Hollerith,Turing,vonNeumann}D ?

Connection Ethernet Card Devices Networking