Multiple Users Able To Open Same File Simultaneously

We have a strange problem that is happening randomly
where a user will open an Excel spreadsheet and be
working on it and another user will open the same file
with no "notify" or "open as read only" messages. When
the first user tries to save their changes, they get a
write error. The first user is running Windows 2000 Pro
and the second user is running Windows XP Pro. The file
server is running Windows 2000 Server. Any help on this
would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

Anybody using offline files? Does this happen with any other files/file
types?

Mark W. wrote:
> We have a strange problem that is happening randomly
> where a user will open an Excel spreadsheet and be
> working on it and another user will open the same file
> with no "notify" or "open as read only" messages. When
> the first user tries to save their changes, they get a
> write error. The first user is running Windows 2000 Pro
> and the second user is running Windows XP Pro. The file
> server is running Windows 2000 Server. Any help on this
> would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

No one is using offline files. So far, I've only seen
this happen with Excel files, as that's the main shared
filetype on our network. I believe that both users
opened the files through Windows Explorer or by going
through "My Computer", rather than opening Excel first
and doing a File/Open. Not sure if that makes a
difference, but thought I'd mention it...

No, it shouldn't make a difference. I'd post this in an Excel group if it's
only happening with Excel files. Also check to see whether the file itself
is set up as a shared workbook (I forget the exact syntax) that is supposed
to allow for multiple simultaneous access.